:: 한국기독교장로회총회 ::

폴 틸리히 / 궁극적 관심 Ultimate Concern 8) Seventh Dialogue 일곱번째 대화 (원문/번역)

이준원 (충북노회,우암교회,목사) 2013-11-01 (금) 09:13 10년전 6183  

Seventh Dialogue

Professor: Our first question relates to the miracles of Christ.
 교수: 오늘의 첫째 문제는 그리스도의 기적에 관한 것입니다.

What Is a Miracle?
Student: My question concerns your answer to the question about Paul’s personal kairos and the vision he had. You said that this was just a figurative explanation of the author of the epistle in which this event was described. I would like to know why you are prompted here, and in many other instances, to deny what we would call a miraculous element and say that it is just a figurative way of explaining things? Why couldn’t there be some supernatural power at work here that is actually suspending the laws of nature?

기적이란 무엇인가?
학생: 저의 질문은 박사님께서 바울의 개인적 카이로스 및 그가 본 비전에 대한 질문에 대답하신 것과 관련되어 있습니다. 박사님께서는 그 사건이 그것을 기록한 편지의 저자 자신의 비유적 해석에 불과하다고 말씀하셨습니다. 이 문제와 아울러 많은 경우에 있어서 박사님의 소위 기적적 요소를 부정하고 그것을 한낱 사물을 해석하는 비유적 방법이라고 말씀하시는 이유를 저는 알고 싶습니다. 어찌해서 실제로 자연법을 능가하는 초자연적 세력이 여기에 작용될 수 없습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now you touch on a problem which underlies everything, the problem of natural and supernatural. It has innumerable implications and is very difficult to simplify. In this special case, I do not deny the visionary experience and the whole scene, but if the inner voice Paul heard is called a "voice from Heaven," what does it mean? Did the earth stand in a certain relationship to the sun, in a particular position at that moment? Was the voice carried on a blinding ray? All these questions, if taken literally, are nonsense and have little to do with the meaning of the reality of that visionary experience. For the visionary experience was a certain reality. And I even speak of "breaking in," which has a supernatural sound but is not supernaturalism. You approach something here that is fundamental to all my thinking — the antisupernaturalistic attitude. If you would like to prepare yourself, I recommend the one section about reason and revelation in the first volume of my Systematic Theology, where I deal extensively with miracle, inspiration, ecstasy, and all these concepts, and try to interpret them in a nonsupernaturalistic — and that would mean also a nonsuperstitious — way.

틸리히: 학생은 지금 모든 것의 기초가 되는 자연과 초자연의 문제를 건드리고 있어요. 바울의 문제는 무수한 함축성을 내포하고 있기 때문에 간단히 처리해 버리기에는 매운 곤란합니다. 나는 이처럼 특별한 경우에 있어서 환상적 경험과 장면 전체를 부인하지는 않습니다. 그러나 바울이 들은 내적 음성이 ‘하늘에서 들려온 음성’이라고 하면 그것은 무엇을 뜻합니까? 지구와 태양이 그 순간에 어떤 특수한 관계를 맺은 것입니까? 그 음성은 눈부신 광선을 타고 내려왔습니까? 만일 이 모근 질문들을 문자 그대로 이해한다면 무의미할 뿐만 아니라, 환상적 경험의 실재가 지닌 의미와 아무 상관이 없습니다. 그 이유는 환상적 경험이 하나의 분명한 실재이기 때문입니다. 그러기에 나는 그것을 가리켜서 ‘돌입’(breaking in)이라고 합니다. 이것은 초자연적인 음향을 가지고 있지만 초자연주의는 아닙니다. 여기서 학생은 나의 사상의 기조가 되는 반(反)초자연주의적 태도에 도전을 가하고 있는 셈입니다. 만일 학생이 이것에 대하여 좀 더 알기를 원한다면, 나의 ‘조직 신학’ 제1권에 있는 이성과 계시에 관한 부분을 읽어 보시기 바랍니다. 거기서 나는 기적, 영감, 황홀 등의 개념을 폭 넓게 취급하였고, 그것들을 비(非)초연자주의적 방법-이것은 또한 비미신적인 방법을 뜻합니다만-으로 해석하고자 노력하였습니다.

Student: Somehow you seem to refuse to take Christ’s miracles literally. I detect an inclination on your part to interpret all the miracles simply as allegorical. And I was wondering if this could in any way be a denial of the miraculous in the person of Christ?
학생: 어쨌든 박사님은 그리스도의 기적을 문자 그대로 받아들이기를 거부하시는 것 같습니다. 박사님께서 모든 기적을 단순히 은유적으로 해석하시려는 경향을 찾아볼 수 있습니다. 그렇다면 이것은 어떤 모양으로든지 그리스도의 인격에 나타난 기적적인 사실을 부인하는 일이 될 수 있지 않을까 염려됩니다.

Dr. Tillich: Did you ever read the section on miracles in my Systematic Theology?
틸리히: 학생은 나의 ‘조직 신학’에서 기적에 관한 부분을 읽어 본 적이 있습니까?

Student: No, sir, I haven’t.
학생: 없습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Well, that’s a pity, because you see there is so much to be said about this problem. First of all, when you ask that question, may I ask you what you mean by miracles?
 틸리히:  참으로 유감입니다. 왜냐하면 이 문제에 대하여서는 이야기 거리가 허다하기 때문입니다. 먼저 학생이 그런 질문을 던진다면, 나는 학생이 뜻하는 기적이 무엇인지 묻고 싶습니다.

Student: Well, in catechism in Sunday school, we learned that miracles imply a "suspension of the laws of nature." I suppose that is as good a definition as any.
학생: 기적은 ‘자연법에 반대되는 것’이라고 주일학교 교리 문답에서 배웠습니다. 이것은 어떤 것에도 못지 않는 훌륭한 정의라고 저는 생각합니다.

Dr. Tillich: Where did you learn this? It is very interesting. Because this is precisely the idea which I fiercely combat in all my work, whenever I speak of these things. Was that really taught in your catechism, or by the Sunday-school teacher, who could not do better because she had learned it from another Sunday-school teacher who also could not do better?
틸리히: 그것을 어디서 배웠어요? 참으로 재미있는 일입니다. 나는 책을 쓸 때마다 그 문제를 다툴 경우에는 학생이 말한 바로 그 사상과 무자비하게 싸웠습니다. 학생이 실제로 교리 문답에서 배운 것입니까, 그렇지 않으면 자기보다 별로 낫지 못한 주일학교 교사에서 배운 어떤 교사로부터 배운 것입니까?

Student: It is hard for me to recall where I originally got it. But I got it somewhere.
학생: 맨 처음 어디서 그것을 배웠는지 생각해 내기는 어렵습니다만, 어디선가 배운 것은 틀림없는 사실입니다.

Dr. Tillich: Now if you define a miracle like this, then I would simply say that this is a demonic distortion of the meaning of miracle in the New Testament. And it is distorted because it means that God has to destroy his creation in order to produce his salvation. And I call this demonic, because God is then split in himself and is unable to express himself through his creative power. In truth, of course, there are many things that are miraculous, literally "things to be astonished about," from mirari in Latin, to be astonished. And if you refrain from defining miracles in this distorted, actually demonic, way, we can begin to talk intelligently about them.
Of course, many problems do arise. There is first of all the problem of what really does happen objectively, and then the problem of what happens in the human being who experiences such astonishment. The first thing I want to state here is that only in a correlative relationship between the subjective and the objective sides of the experience can we speak of a miracle. This is the reason why Jesus declined when the Pharisees and the scribes asked him to perform a "show" miracle — the kind of magic trick we might watch at country fairs. They asked him to do this, and he refused. This expresses the fact that miracles, in the sense in which he was involved in them, are events which have a particular significance to the person who experiences them. That is the one fundamental statement. Miracles are subjective-objective, subject-object-oriented, always in correlation, and never comprehensible in any other way. Not merely subjective, they are not merely objective, either.
This is also true of all human relations. Love of high quality is not only a momentary fascination but a real relationship. The way in which two lovers encounter each other and see each other cannot be reduced to an objective psychology concerning one person or the other alone. Only in encounter does the reality of how they see each other appear, for both persons. Therefore an outside observer cannot truly observe, because the very situation of being an object of an objective observer changes a person. Only in the encounter is the vision of the other one possible. Now this is an example of the necessity of existential participation, and it must be applied also to miracles. I hope this point is now comparatively clear.
But there is another point, and it is clearly described in the New Testament, where miracles are called "signs." What does that mean? It means that not every or any astonishment over something that happens is a miracle. For example, when I drove down here a few days ago, there was suddenly a thunderstorm. My driver said, "This is amazing. Here this never happens, and now of course when you come, it thunders!" This was astonishment on his part, but it was not a miracle in the New Testament sense because one thing was lacking: it was not a sign that pointed beyond finite reality. So something merely rare within the context of reality does not necessarily have, at the same time, the character of "pointing beyond."
The sign character of a miracle I call in my books a "sign event," and this combination of the words event and sign is very important. "Event" in religious language should always be understood as a combination of something objective and something subjective, of fact and reception of fact. These two elements belong to every religious event. Now if this is clear, then of course it is a rare situation in which miracles, in this sense, appear. They appear only if the revelatory situation is given.
The Catholic church requires very lengthy procedures in judging the candidacy of any particular personality for sainthood. A "devil’s advocate" tries his best to prove the unworthiness of the candidate. One of the main issues is the proving of miracles. Now this I have always understood very well. I have always defended the Catholic church on this issue, although the average Protestant feels much estranged by the idea. But he is estranged because he does not know what "saint" means. He thinks a saint is somebody who doesn’t smoke, dance, or drink. That is one of the lowest levels of moralism and has nothing to do with the real concept of a saint. The real meaning of sainthood is radiation, transparency to the holy — or translucency to the holy, if you prefer that word. "Radiation" is perhaps the best, since a saint radiates the presence of the divine in a special way. And in this situation miracles can happen, which means that an astonishing event can point beyond itself.
Therefore miracles happened in the presence of Jesus, and they did not happen in the presence of the apostles except when they were themselves full of the divine Spirit. This formulation should open up our understanding of miracles as a whole, not only those in the New Testament stories, but also the many miraculous events in the whole history of the church, and the very similar miracle stories in other religions. If there is a situation which points beyond itself, it is possible for astonishing events to be experienced and religiously justified.
Now the next point I want to make is that actual miracle stories are always in danger of being brought down to a kind of rationalistic supranaturalism. By this I mean that they are thought of as supranatural in the sense of the breaking in of a causal power from another realm. But miracles operate in terms of ordinary causality. To think of them as involving an objective breaking of the structure of reality, or suspending the laws of nature, is superstition. If the stories are told in this way, we have of course to inquire historically as to the real basis for them: What is the astonishing thing that actually happened? Usually we cannot pursue such inquiries very far. We would also have to ask: Under what conditions did this rationalization occur? How was the miraculous character of the miracle distorted and made to depend, not on its power of pointing to the presence of the divine, but on a recounting in such a way that the structure of reality or natural law is broken?
Natural law is, in the view of modern philosophy, not what it was to Kant. It is a problematic term today. But let us agree that reality has a structure. The superstitious development of miracle traditions, which is very rationalistic — not irrational, but rationalistic — desires to emphasize the contradiction of the structure of reality. I have already spoken about the pseudo Gospels or rejected Gospels as we may call them, in which stories about Jesus were told that made him as a boy, for example, construct pigeons out of clay and then give them the power to fly in the air. Now this is what I call rationalism which becomes superstition. The combination of two things, rationalism and superstition, that seem to contradict each other makes most of the miracle stories, not only in the New Testament but everywhere, so difficult for us to understand. This is why I believe that a thorough purge of our usual understanding of these things is necessary. I would call these stories a fantastic combination of antirational rationalisms.

틸리히: 만일 학생이 기적을 그렇게 정의한다면, 그러한 정의는 신약성서에 나타난 기적의 의미를 악마적으로 왜곡한 것이라고 말할 수밖에 없습니다. 왜 그 해석이 왜곡되었는가 하면, 그것은 신이 자기의 구원을 이룩하기 위하여 자기의 창조를 파괴해야 함을 뜻하기 때문입니다. 또한 왜 그 해석이 악마적으로 왜곡한 것이라고 말할 수밖에 없습니다. 왜 그 해석이 왜곡되었는가 하면, 그것은 신이 자기의 구원을 이룩하기 위하여 자기의 창조를 파괴해야 함을 뜻하기 때문입니다. 또한 왜 그 해석이 악마적인가 하면, 그것은 신 자신이 분열되어 자기의 창조적 능력을 통하여 자신을 표현할 수 없음을 뜻하기 때문입니다. 물론 기적적인 사실이 실제로 많습니다. (기적이라는 말은 본래 라틴어의 mirari에서 온 것으로서 ‘사물을 보고 놀란다’는 뜻입니다.) 그러므로 만일 학생이 그러한 왜곡되고 실제로 악마적인 방법으로 기적을 정의한 것을 철회한다면, 우리는 그 문제에 대하여 지성적인 대화를 시작할 수 있을 것입니다.
물론 많은 문제가 제기됩니다. 첫째 문제는 사실상 객관적으로 어떤 일이 일어나는가 하는 것이고, 둘째 문제는 그 놀라운 사실을 경험하는 인간에게는 어떤 일이 일어나는가 하는 것입니다. 여기서 내가 미리 말해 두고 싶은 것은, 기적의 문제는 경험의 주관적인 측면과 객관적이 측면의 상호 관계(correlation)를 전제로 할 때 논의가 가능하다는 것입니다. 바로 이 이유 때문에 예수는 바리새인들과 서기관들이 기적의 ‘쇼우’(show)를 보여 달라고-우리가 시골 장거리에서 볼 수 있는 요술의 종류-요청하였을 때 이를 물리친 것입니다. 그들은 예수에게 기적을 행하도록 요청하였으나 그는 이를 거절한 것입니다. 이것이 우리에게 보여주는 사실은, 기적이란 그것을 행하는 예수 자신을 포함해서 그것을 경험하는 인격에게 특수한 의미를 주는 사건이라는 것입니다. 이것은 하나의 근본적인 명제이기도 합니다. 기적은 항상 주관과 객관의 상호 관계에 근거를 두고 있으므로 여하한 다른 방법으로 이해가 불가능합니다. 그것은 주관적인 것만도 아니고 객관적인 것만도 아닙니다.
이것은 또한 모든 인간 과계에서도 엄연한 사실입니다. 높은 차원의 사랑은 순간적인 매력일 뿐만 아니라 진정한 관계이기도 합니다. 두 연인이 서로 만나고 관찰하는 일은 진정한 관계이기도 합니다. 두 연인이 서로 만나고 관찰하는 일은 그 어느 한 사람에게만 국한시킨 객관적 심리학으로 환원될 수 없습니다. 그들이 피차 관찰하는 실재는 그들의 만남에서만 두 사람에게 노출됩니다. 그러므로 외부의 관찰자는 참되게 관찰할 수 없습니다. 그것은 객관적 관찰자의 대상이 된다는 바로 그 상황이 인격을 변질시키기 때문입니다. 다른 사람에 대한 비전은 만남에서만 가능합니다. 이것은 실존적 참여의 필요성에 관한 하나의 실례에 불과합니다만, 이것이 기적에도 적용되어야 할 줄로 압니다. 이 점이 이제 비교적 분명해졌으리라고 믿습니다.
그러나 또 하나 지적해 둘 점이 있습니다. 그것은 기적이 ‘표시’(signs)라고 신약성서에 명백하게 기록되었다는 것입니다. 표시란 무엇을 뜻하는 것입니까? 그것은 우연하게 발생하는 어떤 사실에 대한 놀람이 반드시 기적은 아니라는 말입니다. 실례를 들어 본다면, 며칠 전에 내가 자동차를 타고 이곳에 내려올 때 갑작스럽게 천동이 울리고 폭우가 쏟아졌습니다. 그 때 나의 운전수가 말하기를 “이것 참 놀라운 일입니다. 여기서는 이런 일이 전혀 없었는데 박사님이 오시니까 천동마저 울립니다”라고 하였습니다. 그에게는 그것이 놀라운 일이었는지 모르지만, 신약성서가 의미하는 기적은 아니었습니다. 거기에는 한 가지 사실이 결여되어 있었기 때문입니다. 즉 그것은 유한한 실재를 초월한 무엇을 지시하는 표시가 아니었다는 것입니다. 그러므로 어떤 사실이 현실에서 단지 희유한 사실이라는 이유로 반드시 ‘초월을 지시하는’ 성격을 소유하는 것을 아닙니다.
나는 내가 쓴 책들에서 기적이 지는 표시의 성격을 ‘표시의 사건'(sign event)이라는 말을 썼는데 사건이라는 말과 표시라는 말의 결합은 매우 중요하다고 생각합니다. 종교적 언어에서 ’사건‘이라는 말은 객관적인 것과 주관적인 것, 사실 및 사실의 수용성의 결합으로 반드시 이해되어야만 합니다. 이 두 요소는 어느 종교적 사건에나 깃들이어 있습니다. 이제 이 사실이 분명하다면 기적이 생겨지는 희유한 상황이 문제가 됩니다. 기적은 계시적 상황이 주어질 때 한하여 그 정체를 드러내게 되는 것입니다.
카톨릭교에서는 어떤 특별한 인격의 성인(聖人)의 자격 여부를 판정하는 데 매우 긴 절차를 밟습니다. ‘성인의 대열에 가입시키는 것을 반대하는 자’(devil's advocate)는 성인 입후보자의 무자격을 증명하기 위하여 자기의 최선을 경주합니다. 여기서 중요한 의제 가운데 하나가 기적을 증명하는 일입니다. 나는 이 사실을 언제나 충분히 이해하여 왔습니다. 개신교도가 거리감을 가지는 이유는 ‘성인’이 무엇을 뜻하는지 알지 못하기 때문입니다. 성인이란 담배, 춤, 또는 술을 가까이 하지 않는 사람으로 그는 생각합니다. 이것은 도덕주의의 가장 낮은 수순에 속하는 것이며 성인의 진정한 개념과는 아무 관계가 없습니다. 성인의 품격의 진정한 의미는 거룩한 것에 대한 방사(放射)나 투명, 또는 여러분이 원한다면 반(半) 투명이라고 하겠습니다. 성인이란 특수한 방법으로 신의 임재를 나타내 보이기 때문에 아마도 ‘방사’(radiation)라는 말이 가장 적당할지 모르겠습니다. 따라서 어떤 놀라운 사건이 자체를 초월하는 무엇을 지시해주는 이 상황 속에서 기적은 일어날 수 있습니다.
그렇기 때문에 기적이 예수에게서는 일어났지만, 제자들이 성령에 충만한 경우를 제외하고 그들에게서는 일어나지 않았습니다. 이와 같은 형식은 신약성서에 있는 기적뿐만 아니라 교회사 전체에 나타난 수많은 기적적 사건과 다른 종교들이 가진 유사한 기적들을 총망라하여 우리의 기적에 관한 이해를 새롭게 하여 줍니다. 만일 어떤 상황이 자체를 초월하는 무엇을 지시한다면, 그 상황에서는 놀라운 사건들이 경험되고 종교적으로 정당화될 가능성이 짙다고 하겠습니다.
다음으로 지적하고 싶은 점은, 기적을 사실적으로 묘사한 이야기는 항시 일종의 합리주의적 초자연주의에 빠질 위험성을 내포하고 있다는 것입니다. 이 말은 즉 기적은 어떤 원동력이 다른 영역으로부터 침투해 온 것으로서 초자연적인 것이라고 간주한다는 뜻입니다. 그러나 기적은 평범한 인과 관계에서 작용합니다. 기적이 실재의 구조를 객관적으로 파괴하거나 자연법을 무시한다고 생각하는 것은 미신입니다. 만일 기적에 관한 이야기가 미신적으로 흐른다면, 우리는 지체 없이 그 이야기의 근거에 대한 역사적 질문을 던져야 합니다. 즉 “실제로 일어났다고 하는 놀라운 일이 도대체 무엇인가?”하는 물음입니다. 우리는 통상 이러한 질문을 깊이 추구해 들어가기는 어렵습니다. 우리는 또한 다음과 같은 질문을 할 수 잇을 것입니다. 즉 “어떠한 여건 하에서 그런 합리화가 이루어졌는가? 기적의 기적다운 성격이 어떻게 왜곡되었으며 또한 어떻게 해서 신의 현존(現存)을 지시하는 힘에 의존하지 아니하고 실재의 구조나 자연법이 손상 입는 방법으로 조작된 이야기에 의존하게 되었는가?” 하는 것입니다.
현대 철학의 입장에서 볼 때 자연법은 칸트가 인식하였던 바와는 전혀 다릅니다. 오늘늘 그것은 문제성을 띤 말입니다. 실재는 구조를 가진다는 사실에 이의가 없을 줄 압니다. 그런데 기적의 전승의 미신적 발달은-이것은 비합리적이 아니라 매우 합리주의적인데-실재의 구조가 자기모순을 내포한다는 점을 강조하려는 경향이 많습니다. 나는 이미 유사 복음서에 관하여 말하였고 소위 예수가 소년 시절에 흙으로 비둘기를 만들어서 공중에 날려 보냈다는 복음서를 배격한다고 밝혔습니다. 나는 이것을 미신화 된 합리주의라고 부릅니다. 겉으로 보기에는 서로 모순되는 합리주의와 미신 이 두 가지가 결합하여 신약성서에서 뿐만 아니라 어디서든지 기적에 관한 이야기를 조작하고 있는데 참으로 이해하기 어려운 점입니다. 이러한 문제성 때문에 우리의 기적에 관한 통상적인 이해를 철저하게 씻어 버리는 것이 필요하다고 나는 믿습니다. 나는 그러한 이야기들은 반(反)합리적 합리주의들의 공상적 결합이라고 부르고 싶습니다.

Professor: Although you have indicated that it is not a valid element in defining a miracle, would you deny the possibility of another realm of causality breaking through into the realm of causality that we know, and thus causing events that are not understood in terms of the system of causality which we do understand?
교수: 박사님께서는 비록 초자연주의가 기적을 규정하는 데 적당한 요소는 되지 못한다고 지적하셨습니다만은, 또 하나의 인과율의 영역 속에 투입되었고 따라서 우리가 이해하는 인과율을 체계로써는 이해할 수 없는 사건을 촉발시킨다는 가능성을 부정하실 수 있습니까?

Dr. Tillich: If these superstitions are claimed to be events within the total structure of causality, then I would say they cannot occur. But let me give an example: the coming down of the storm, the biblical story of the storm on the Sea of Galilee. [Mark 4:37-41] If you take this story, and insist that a "transcendent causality" entered at that point, I would ask, "What does that mean?" because I don’t understand the combination of those two words. Causality is a category which we have abstracted, from the dawn of philosophy, from the interrelation of events. There are many types of causality — physical, psychological, historical. There is the quantitive calculable causality, which is a kind of exchange. There is the creative causality in history, where something new is produced on the basis of the old. All these are different forms of causality.
But all are understandable in the totality of being. If they are not understandable in this context, then the result of them could not be something which belongs completely to the meteorological conditions that occurred at the time of a storm in Palestine in the year 29, let us say. If they enter into this, then they are part of the total. Otherwise, the total would no longer exist. One atom in the whole universe which did not belong to the whole of the universe would destroy the structure of the universe. You can discover this easily if you think through, for one moment, the idea of a structured whole. If one element were completely extraneous, and nevertheless "in" it, the whole would be destroyed. You are a mathematician? It is necessary for us, I believe, to think as mathematicians at this point.
So if there are, in the whole of the universe, causalities — relationships of realities — then there are two possibilities. First we have the Greek world view, in which miracles were very easy. They occurred continually, because the gods were members of the cosmos, beings with power. And with their power they were interrelated with the whole of reality. When they appeared, they could direct a hero’s arrow and cause it to reach its aim or not. Then they were also empirical causalities, beings like ourselves, but with slightly more power. This comes out clearly in the tragedies, which speak against the gods. Prometheus stands already as a representative of man in opposition to these gods.
The second possibility is that of the absolutely transcendent, and then the situation is quite different. Then the whole can produce, within its own structure, things which are astonishing. But this "divine" power is not a particular causality which interferes with the law of the whole. That would be my answer.

틸리히: 만일 그러한 미신들을 인과율의 전체 구조 안에서 야기되는 사건이라고 주장한다면, 그러한 사건들은 일어날 수 없다고 나는 말하고 싶습니가. 갈릴리 바다에서 있었던 폭풍우에 관한 성서의 기사[마가 4:37-41]를 예로 들어 봅시다. 만일 여러분이 이야기를 끄집어 내어놓고 바로 그 시점에서 ‘초월적 인과율’이 자연법의 세계 속에 침투하였다고 주장한다면, 나는 ‘초월적 인과율’(transcendent causality)이라는 두 낱말의 결합을 이해하지 못하기 때문에 결국 “그 말이 무엇을 뜻하는 것입니까?”하고 질문할 도리밖에 없을 것입니다. 인과율이란 철학의 여명기부터 사건들의 상호 관계를 추상화한 범주입니다. 인과율에는 물리적, 심리적, 역사적 등 여러 가지 형태가 잇습니다. 또한 인과율에는 물량적(物量的)이고 계산이 가능한 것이 있는데 이것은 교체될 수 있는 종류의 것입니다. 뿐만 아니라, 역사에는 창조적 인과율이 있습니다. 여기서는 낡은 것을 근거로 하여 새로운 것이 생산됩니다. 이 모든 것들은 상이한 인과율의 형식입니다.
그러나 모든 것은 존재의 전체 안에서 이해될 수 있습니다. 만일 다양한 인과율들이 전체성 안에서 이해될 수 없다면, 그 결과는 예를 들어 말하자면 서기 29년 팔레스틴에서 폭풍우가 휘몰아칠 때 발생한 기상학적 조건과 완전히 부합하는 사실은 될 수 없을 것입니다. 만일 그것들이 우리가 주지하고 있는 인과율 속에 투입되었다면, 그들은 전체의 일부분임에 틀림없습니다. 그렇지 않다면, 전체란 존재하지 않을 것입니다. 우주의 전체에 종속되지 않으면서 전체 우주 속에 존재하는 하나의 원자는 우주의 구조를 파괴할 것입니다. 만일 여러분이 구조화된 전체라는 개념을 잠깐만 생각해 보신다면, 그 사실을 수월하게 발견할 수 있습니다. 만일 하나의 요인이 전체와 완전히 무관한 것임에도 불구하고 그 속에 내재한다면, 그 전체는 파괴되어 버릴 것입니다. 여러분이 모두 수학자인지 모르겠습니다만, 이 점에 관해서는 수학자로서 숙고하는 일이 필요하다고 믿습니다.
그래서 이 우주의 전체 속에 여러 형태의 인과율 곧 실재들의 제 관계성이 있다면 두 개의 가능성을 엿볼 수 있습니다. 첫째의 가능성은 희랍적 세계관인데 거기서는 기적이 매우 수월하게 일어납니다. 그것이 계속적으로 야기되는데 이것은 신들이 우주의 구성원 곧 능력을 가진 존재이기 때문입니다. 그들은 능력으로써 실재 전체와 상호 관계를 맺고 있습니다. 그들은 영웅의 화살을 조정하여 목표에 명중시킬 수도 있고 빗나가게도 할 수 있습니다. 또한 그들은 경험적 인과율로서, 우리와 같은 존재이기도 하지만, 우리보다 약간 많은 능력을 보유하고 있습니다. 이 사실이 신들에게 대항하여 발언하는 비극 가운데 분명하게 나타나 있습니다. 프로메데우스(Prometheus)는 이 신들에 반대하여 인간의 대변자로 등장하고 있습니다.
둘째의 가능성은 절대적으로 초월적인 것인데 여기서는 상황이 질적으로 다릅니다. 전체 자체가 그 자신의 구조 안에서 경이할 만한 사실들을 산출할 수 있습니다. 그러나 이 ‘신적’ 능력은 전체 자체의 법칙과 상치하는 특수한 인과율이 아닙니다. 이상이 나의 대답이 되겠습니다.

Professor: It is not necessary to assume that this other realm of causality is outside of the universe, but merely that it is beyond human understanding at a particular historical period.
교수: 인과율의 또 하나의 영역이 우주 밖에 있다고 상정할 필요는 없고 다만 어떤 특수한 역사적 시기에 있어서 인간의 이해를 초월한다고 생각된다는 것입니다.

Dr. Tillich: Oh, if it is a part of the universe, and cannot be understood by us today, it is very easy to accept. There are innumerable things which we do not understand, and the deeper physics goes into nature the more it understands the limits of its understanding. So if you take it as a finite reality, I am open to any wonderful thing.
틸리히: 네, 그러세요? 만일 그것이 우주의 한 부분이지만 우리가 오늘날 그것을 이해할 수 없다면, 납득하기가 어렵지 않습니다. 두말할 나위도 없이, 우리가 이해할 수 없는 사실이 허다합니다. 물리학은 자연을 깊이 파고 들어갈수록 이해의 한계점에 부딪치게 됩니다. 그러니까 만일 교수님의 그것을 유한한 실재로 취급하신다면, 나 자신은 어떠한 놀라운 사실도 해결 지을 수 없습니다.

Professor: Is it possible to suppose that Jesus and the saints had access to a larger realm of causality than other human beings in the same way that an atomic scientist has a greater access than we do?
교수: 원자 과학자가 우리들보다 인과율의 보다 넓은 영역에 도달한 것과 똑같이, 예수나 성인들이 다른 인간들보다 인과율의 보다 넓은 영역에 더 가까이 접근하였다고 상상해 볼 수 있습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now here I would say, unfortunately or fortunately, that Jesus was not an atomic scientist. He was a full human being, and if at that time he had had the knowledge of an atomic scientist or a modern physician, I would take the position that his humanity would have been denied. In matters of empirical knowledge he was as limited as anyone in his time. He had, as people often can have, a deeper existential insight into the psychology of human beings; this comes out very clearly, but it is not miraculous. It belongs to the person-to-person relationship. And I would agree with you on this, that his insight into the human psychology of other people was much more than ordinarily profound. But it was not mythologically divine. Now if we introduce divine knowledge into the empirical realm of his knowledge, the Council of Chalcedon is wrong. And because of his full humanity, strongly emphasized by the Christian church, he could not have had supernatural knowledge about empirical realities.
틸리히: 행인지 불행인지는 모르지만, 예수는 원자 과학자는 아니었다고 나는 말하고 싶습니다. 그는 완전한 인간이었습니다. 그러므로 만일 그 때 그가 원자 과학자나 현대 물리학자가 가진 지식을 가졌었다면, 나는 그의 인간성을 부정하는 입장을 취할 것입니다. 경험적 지식의 문제에 있어서는 그 자신도 그 당시의 어떤 사람이나 마찬가지로 제한되어 있었습니다. 사람들이 흔히 그럴 수 있듯이, 그는 인간의 심리에 대한 보다 심오한 실존적 통찰력을 가졌습니다. 이 사실은 매우 현저하게 나타납니다. 그러나 그것이 기적적인 것은 아닙니다. 그것은 인격 대 인격의 관계(the person-to-person relationship)에 속한 것입니다. 물론 다른 사람들의 인간 심리에 대한 그의 통찰력은 보통으로 의미심장한 것을 훨씬 능가한 것이었다는 교수님의 의견에 나 자신도 동의하고 싶습니다. 그렇지만 그것은 신화적인 의미에서 신적인 것은 아니었습니다. 만일 우리가 그의 지식의 경험적 영영 속에 신적 지식을 끌어들인다면, 칼케돈 회의(the Council of Chalcedon)는 잘못을 저질렀음에 틀림없습니다. 기독교회가 정도 이상으로 강조한 그의 완전한 인간성 때문에 그는 경험적 현실에 대한 초자연적 지식을 소유할 수 없었을 것입니다.

Professor: In this respect, then, we would have to note a contrast between the Western Christian tradition and some Asiatic traditions, where it is assumed that "transparency" brings with it certain forms of knowledge and power which you have just denied in the case of Jesus.
교수: 그렇다면 이 점에 대해서 서양의 기독교 전통과 동양의 전통을 비교해 보아야 하지 않을까 생각합니다. 동양의 전통에 보면, 투명성(transparency)는 박사님이 방금 예수의 경우에서 부정하신 어떤 형태의 지식과 능력을 동반한다는 사실이 전제되어 있습니다.

Dr. Tillich: How for instance? It would be good if you could give us an example where this is a matter of natural events. I do not mean psychological understanding. I know there are phenomena where a mother has a feeling of what concerns her child, who may live a thousand miles away. There is a kind of communication. These are facts which have often occurred, and we do not know enough about them. But people who have experienced this — many have told me about these experiences — never call them, in themselves, miracles.

틸리히: 어떻게 그런지 예를 들어 보세요. 그런 것이 어디서 자연적 사건의 문제가 되는지 실례를 보여 주시면 좋겠습니다. 나는 심리학적 이해를 의미하는 것이 아닙니다. 한 어머니가 1천여 마일 떨어져 사는 자식의 관심사가 무엇임을 직접 느끼는 현상이 있다는 사실을 나는 알고 있습니다. 거기에는 일종의 의사소통이 있습니다. 이것은 흔히 일어나는 사실들입니다. 그러나 그것을 경험한 사람들은-많은 사람들이 그런 경험에 대하여 내게 말하였습니다-결코 그것 자체를 기적이라고 하지 않습니다.

Professor: An example would be the stories of the levitation of holy men, floating from place to place. You have these even in Catholic tradition, like the stories of St. Teresa of Avila. At Mass she was said sometimes to rise to the ceiling. These were not necessarily considered as holy things but as powers or capacities that came to them simply because of their transparency. From the religious point of view, Asian tradition has considered them to be dangerous powers, even undesirable, but nevertheless not to be denied.

교수: 한 가지 실례로서는 성인들이 공중에 떠서 이곳에서 저 곳으로 돌아다니는 이야기를 들어 보로 수 있을 듯합니다. 그런 종류의 것은 심지어는 아빌라의 성 테레사의 이야기처럼 카톨릭 전통에도 있습니다. 그녀는 가끔 미사 때에 천장에까지 올라갔다고 합니다. 이런 것은 반드시 거룩한 것으로 생각할 필요는 없습니다만, 그들의 투명성 때문에 주어진 권틍 또는 능력이라고 말해서 좋지 않을까? 동양의 전통은 종교적 관점에서 그것을 위험한 권능, 심지어는 필요 없는 것이라고 간주해 버린 적도 있습니다만, 부정해 버릴 것이라고 생각한 적은 없었습니다.

Dr. Tillich: I would insist first on some historical research. How well authenticated are the documents? And then I would ask, is it possible that the inner vitality of a body does something which we do when we spring, and which sometimes keeps the body quite a long time in the air? (I could do this as a boy, very well.) This ability might be extended, if the vitality or the tension of the muscles becomes stronger. But an actual negation of gravitation would not be for me a "miracle." If such a phenomenon occurred, it would be to me demonic, because it would deny the holy law by which all things in the universe strive toward each other. And I consider gravitation, in this sense, to be the law of love in the universe, a tending of each of us toward the other. The denial of this I would insist is a demonic form, unless explained by an intensification of muscular tension — something we know can happen in the body, which makes "levitation" possible. I truly suspect any historical documents that try to describe this phenomenon in any other way. After all, St. Teresa was in ecstasy, and perhaps the others too!
In any case, this feeling of elevation in itself is a most interesting psychological phenomenon. We call going to God an "elevation" to the divine. Why do we use this symbol. There is some reason for it, and I would not give up the attempt to explain it. If you proclaim that here is a particular divine power coming from outside, or that the divine power within her intensified an otherwise normal happening, would not deny the possibility. But the petty idea that God is a being who sometimes works in terms of finite causality producing finite effects within the structural whole, is contrary to everything I believe of God. It is one of the reasons I combat so strongly the term "God is a being"; because he is a being, he is no better than Zeus or Hermes, coming down from Olympus (incidentally a comparatively low mountain). If he merely exists, of course he can participate in normal causalities.

틸리히: 나는 먼저 역사적 연구에 강조점을 두고 싶습니다. 문제는 그 문서들이 얼마나 만족스럽게 확증되겠는가 하는 데 있습니다. 그 다음으로 내가 묻고 싶은 것은, 육체의 생명력이 우리를 공중에 뛰어 오르게 하고, 뿐만 아니라 우리의 몸을 공중에 꽤 오래 머무르게 할 수 있느냐 하는 것입니다. (나 자신이 소년 시절에 이것을 잘 할 수 있었습니다.) 만일 생명력이나 근육의 긴장이 강화되면, 그러한 능력이 증가될 수도 있겠지요. 그러나 내가 보기에는 인력(引力)을 사실상 부인하는 것이 기적이 될 수는 없을 듯합니다. 만일 그러한 현상이 일어나면, 그것이 나에게는 악마적으로 보일 것입니다. 왜냐하면 그것은 우주의 모든 만물들을 피차 협력케 하는 신성한 법칙을 부정하기 때문입니다. 이런 의미에서 나는 인력을 우주 안에서의 사랑의 법칙이라고 생각합니다. 이것을 부정하는 것은 일종의 악마적 형태라고 강조하고 싶습니다. 그렇게 되지 않으려면, 근육의 긴장이 강화되어서 공중에 떠도는 것을 가능케 하는 일이 신체에서 일어날 수 있다는 사실을 설명해야 합니다. 나는 신심에서 이런 현상을 어떤 방법으로 묘사하려는 어떠한 역사적 문서에도 회의를 품고 있습니다. 결국 성 테레사는 황홀경에 들어가 있었습니다. 다른 사람들도 역시 그랬을 것입니다.
어떠한 경우에 있어서나 높이 떠오르는 기분 자체는 매우 흥미 있는 심리학적 현상입니다. 우리는 신에게 가는 것을 가리켜서 신에게 ‘올라간다’(elevation)고 말합니다. 우리가 왜 그런 상징을 사용합니까? 거기에는 약간의 이유가 있는데 나는 그 이유를 설명할 용의가 있습니다. 만일 교수님이 선언하기를 외부로부터 들어온 특수한 신적 능력이 여기에 있다, 또는 그녀 속에 내재하는 신적 능력이 보통 때는 정상적인 사건을 극단적으로 강렬하게 만들었다고 한다면, 나는 그 가능성을 부정할 생각은 없습니다. 그러나 신은 간혹 유한한 인과율에 의해서 작업하면서 구조적인 전체 안에서 유한한 결과를 초래하는 하나의 존재(a being)라는 졸렬한 사상은 나의 신에 대한 신앙에 전적으로 반대되는 것입니다. “신은 하나의 존재이다”는 말에 내가 극렬하게 도전하는 이유 중의 하나는, 만일 그가 하나의 존재에 불과하다면 그는 올림푸스(우연하게도 비교적 낮은 산입니다)에서 내려오는 제우스나 헤르매스보다 나을 것이 없기 때문입니다. 만일 그가 단순히 존재만 한다면, 그는 물론 정상적인 인과율에 참여할 수 있습니다.

Professor: Regardless of how you interpret these phenomena, Eastern tradition tends to accept them. But you would say the Western Christian would have to reject them?
교수: 박사님은 이 현상을 어떻게 해석하시든지 간에 동양의 전통은 그것을 받아들이는 경향이 있습니다. 그렇지만 서구의 크리스천은 그것을 배격해야 한다고 박사님은 말씀하시겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: No! If the East can accept, for example the performances of some yogis who do almost impossible things, lying on nails and things like that without hurting themselves, I would say that we cannot deny them, for we are spectators of it. But then I would ask, how are they possible? I would demand that a medical committee find out how psychological states which, of course, can be produced by the inner religious situation, can have such an effect that the skin is not injured. If what we see proves a reality, they will find out some day why it is possible, and then their case will be understandable. And the religious element will remain in it. But this very much differs from a sudden divine causality, which could not occur anyway in the Eastern tradition, because they would not consider God just a being who has causal effects. They would say instead that it was the God in them. That I would accept.
틸리히: 아닙니다. 만일 동양에서 유가 수행자들(yogis)이 바늘방석 위에 누워도 몸에는 상처를 입지 않는 따위의 도저히 불가능한 연기를 받아들인다면, 우리가 그것을 부정할 수 없다고 생각합니다. 왜냐하면 우리는 그것을 보는 관람객이기 때문입니다. 그러나 나는 그 연기가 어떻게 가능한가 묻지 않을 수 없습니다. 그리고 내적 종교적 상황에 의하여 산출될 수 있는 심리적 상태가 피부에 상처를 입히지 않는 결과를 가져올 수 있다는 사실을 발견해 내도록 어떤 의학회가 언젠가는 그것이 가능한 이유를 찾아낼 것이고, 그렇게 되면 그 사건은 이해할 만하게 될 것입니다. 그래도 아직 거기에는 종교적 요소가 잔존합니다. 하지만 이것은 돌연한 신적 인과율과는 질적으로 다릅니다. 뿐만 아니라, 동양의 전통에서는 그러한 인과율이 어떤 모양으로든지 발생하지 않습니다. 그 이유인즉 그들은 신이 인과적인 결과를 소유한 존재라고는 생각하지 않기 때문입니다. 이것과는 달리, 그들은 차라리 신이 인과율 안에 내제한다고 말할 것입니다. 이것에 나는 수긍이 갑니다.

Professor: Before we leave this subject, may we ask our visiting Catholic Father for his comment?
교수: 이 주제를 매듭짓기에 앞서 저희를 찾아주신 카톨릭 신부님께 한마디의 논평을 부탁드리고 싶습니다.

Catholic Father: Well, I must say I have never been very much attracted to the study of those miraculous happenings. I would have to study the exact facts.
신부:  글쎄올시다. 저는 사실상 기적적 사건에 관한 연구에 별로 큰매력을 느껴 본 적이 엇습니다. 저 자신이 정확한 사실을 연구해야 될 줄로 압니다.

Dr. Tillich: So you are skeptical about the facts of St. Teresa’s levitations?
틸리히: 그러니까 신부님은 성 테레사가 공중에 떠오른 사실에 대하여 회의적이라는 말씀이시지요?

Catholic Father: Oh yes!
신부: 네, 그렇습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Now that is good!
틸리히: 참 좋습니다.

Catholic Father: What I commend more is your fighting against the expression "God is a being." You see, that is very interesting, because I stand with Meister Eckhart, who says exactly the same. We can’t say of God, "He exists." And in the same way, we cannot say that he does not exist.
신부: 저는 박사님께서 “신은 하나의 존재이다”라는 표현에 대항한다는 사실에 절찬을 아끼지 않습니다. 여기에 흥미진진한 것은 마이스터 에크하르트도 그것과 꼭 같은 말을 하였고 저 자신도 그것에 동조한다는 것입니다. 우리는 신에 대하여 “그가 존재한다”고 말할 수 없습니다. 동시에 그가 존재하지 않는다고도 말할 수 없습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Yes, exactly! He is beyond existence or nonexistence.
틸리히: 옳습니다. 그는 존재나 무존재를 초월하여 있습니다.

Student: A long time ago I read a book called The Bible as History which said there is no such thing as a miracle.1 It said that anything explained in the Old and New Testaments as a miracle is merely an action of natural law. The Red Sea, or the Nile River, has a very dark red clay in it, and it rolls down the river. Perhaps the biblical writers thought this looked like blood. And the winds or the tides on the Red Sea sometimes make it very shallow, which could give the effect of the opening of the Red Sea and then its closing again after the escape of the Jews. I was wondering what you might say about this?
학생: 저는 오래 전에 ‘역사로서의 성서’라는 책을 읽었는데 거기에 보면 기적곽 같은 사실은 없다고 말하였습니다. 신구약성서에 기적이라고 설명된 것들은 자연법의 움직임에 불과하다고 그 책은 주장했습니다. 홍해나 나일강은 그 밑바닥에 색깔이 매우 짙은 진흙이 깔려 있어서 그것이 물 아래로 흘러내려가기 때문에 성서 저자들은 이것을 피라고 생각했는지도 모른다는 것입니다. 그리고 홍해는 풍랑과 조수(潮水)로 인해서 가끔 얕아지는 수가 있는데 이런 사실이 홍해를 갈라놓고 유대인들이 도피한 다음에 다시 합쳐 버리는 결과를 가져올 수 있다는 것입니다. 이러한 학설에 대하여 박사님께서 어떻게 말씀하실는지 궁금합니다.

Dr. Tillich: Oh, such explanations are sometimes more fantastic than the stories themselves. Sometimes they are justified. I do not know. Nobody knows the basic historical events of the Exodus. The thing you refer to sometimes happens in the North Sea after a storm. Some places become very shallow at low tide, and then suddenly the sea comes back. These things can happen, and they may seem like a miracle in the context. The miracle was the feeling of Israel, under the leadership of Moses, that this was not a causal event (which it is of course for meteorologists or oceanographers), but a proof of the presence of God with Israel. It was something astonishing, not to be expected at all. They had been captives of the Pharaoh’s power and were then rescued from it.
Consider another example where it is even more obvious: the salvation of Jerusalem in the time of Isaiah from the Assyrian siege, which was a hopeless situation. Then, it is said, the angel of God slew the army of the enemy. They became sick and had to give up the siege. What actually happened seems clear. An epidemic attack of cholera, or something like it, killed many of the soldiers and officers, and so the king of Assyria decided that with his limited power he could not take Jerusalem. But for Isaiah this was a most astonishing situation, because the cause seemed lost against the superiority of the Assyrians. For him this was a revelatory act, and it was.
Sometimes, in my Systematic Theology, I use the term "constellation" to indicate a group of phenomena in a special situation or condition which has "sign character" for somebody — for instance, a prophet. That is what a real miracle is.
It is not that an angel was sent to Jerusalem who had the devilish effect of making these soldiers, innocent in themselves, sick. That was not the situation, I believe; that is a symbolization, a poetic symbolization.
I think that if the Germans had realized how Hitler came to nought by events which were quite unexpected — as at Stalingrad, which was the beginning of the end — they would have said to themselves, "This is the same thing that happened to the king of Assyria." They would have understood that this tremendous ascendancy and subsequent descent of Hitler was just the song of Isaiah in the eleventh chapter. This was a fundamental feeling in the best German people. Stalingrad became a sign event for many, showing that putting oneself on the throne of God, as Hitler did, is always followed by catastrophe. And we could name many other examples.

틸리히: 그러한 설명은 이야기 자체보다 훨씬 공상적일 때가 있습니다. 어떤 때는 그것이 정당화되기도 합니다. 나 자신이 뭐라고 말해야 할지 모르겠습니다. 출애굽의 기본적인 역사적 사건에 관하여 아는 사람은 아무도 없습니다. 학생이 언급한 사실이 북해에서는 태풍이 지나간 다음 간혹 일어납니다. 썰물일 경우 어떤 곳은 매우 얕아집니다. 그러다가 갑자기 바다가 깊어집니다. 이와 같은 일이 생길 때 출애굽과 같은 사건과 관련되면 기적처럼 보일 수 있습니다. 이것이 인과적인 사건이 아니라(이것은 물론 기상학자나 해양학자에게는 인과율의 결과입니다) 신이 이스라엘과 함께 계시다는 증거라고 느낀 이스라엘 민족의 감정이 곧 기적이었습니다. 그것은 전혀 예기하지 못했던 놀라운 일이었습니다. 그들은 바로의 폭력 아래 노예로 있었으나 이제 그것으로부터 구원 받았습니다.
좀 더 명백한 실례를 또 하나 들어봅시다. 즉 이사야 시대에 예루살렘이 앗수르에 포위되어 희망이 없던 상황에서 구원 받은 사건입니다. 그런데 신의 천사가 적군을 섬멸하였다고 전해지고 있습니다. 적군은 모두 질병에 걸렸기 때문에 포위를 포기할 수밖에 없었습니다. 실제로 일어난 사실은 분명한 것 같습니다. 콜레라와 같은 전염병이 습격하여 수많은 적의 장병들을 죽인 것입니다. 그래서 앗수르의 왕은 제한된 군력으로써는 예루살렘 함락이 불가능하리라는 판단을 내린 것입니다. 그러나 이사야가 보기에는 이것이 가장 놀라운 상황일 수밖에 없습니다. 이것이 그에게는 계시적 행위였고 또한 사실상 그랬습니다.
나는 어떤 예언자가 볼 때 표시의 성격’(sign character)을 지닌 특수한 상황이나 조건에 나타나는 현상의 집단을 시사 하기위하여 ‘성좌’(constellation)라는 말을 나의 ‘조직 신학’에서 가끔 사용합니다. 그것이 사실상 기적의 본질이기도 합니다.
그들 자신이 무죄한 군인들에게 질병을 주는 따위의 악마적인 능력을 가진 천사가 예루살렘에 파견된 것은 아닙니다. 이것이 그 때의 상황이었다고 나는 믿지 않습니다. 그것은 상징화 곧 시적(詩的) 상징화에 불과합니다.
만일 독일 사람들이 전혀 기대하지 못했던 사건들-종말의 시작을 고한 스탈린그라드에서처럼-에 의해서 히틀러가 패전하였다는 사실을 인식한다면, 그들은 스스로 말하기를 “이것은 앗수르 왕에게 일어났던 것과 꼭 같은 사실이다”고 할 것입니다. 그들은 히틀러의 어마어마한 우세와 결과적인 열세가 이사야 11장에 실린 노래와 흡사하다고 이해하였을지도 모릅니다. 이것이 제1급에 해당하는 독일 사람들의 기본 감정이었습니다. 많은 사람들에게 스탈린그라드는 하나의 표시의 사건으로서 히틀러가 한 것처럼 자기 자신을 신의 보좌 위에 올려놓을 때 반드시 파멸이 뒤따르기 마련임을 보여주는 것입니다. 이 밖에도 여러 실례를 들어 볼 수 있습니다.

Student: Your first premise was that we shouldn’t require God to interfere and break natural law, because by doing so we demonize God. Then you went on to say later that something outside the world couldn’t interfere by breaking the law, because if we took one atom out it would destroy the whole structure of things. This seems to me to be putting a limitation on God. We are saying that God has to follow a scientific, logical manner when he operates in the world, that he couldn’t hold the world together if he did pull out one atom.
학생: 박사님의 처음 전제는 우리가 신에게 간섭을 요청하여 자연법을 파괴해서는 안 되는데 그 이유는 그렇게 함으로써 우리가 신을 악마로 만들어 ㅂ리기 때문이라는 것이었습니다. 그리고는 뒤에 와서 말씀하시기를, 세계 밖으로부터 들어온 어떤 것이 법칙을 파괴함으로써 간섭할 수 없는데 그 이유인즉 우리가 원자 한 개를 전체에서 끄집어낸다면 그것이 사물의 전체 구조를 파손하기 때문이라고 하였습니다. 이러한 논리는 신에게 제한성을 부여하는 듯 한 인상을 줍니다. 이것은 신이 세계를 움직일 때 과학적이고 논리적인 방법을 따라야만 하고 만일 그가 원자 한 개를 빼 낸다면 그는 세계를 지탱할 수 없다는 이야기밖에 되지 않습니다.

Dr. Tillich: No. If you said that God is a causality in the whole of the world, himself, you would be right. But if you say he is the "ground of being," the "creative divinity," then he creates all the time. And he creates all the time in the direction in which he wants to create, but according to the Logos. And the Logos means reason, word, structure. Everything is made through the Logos in the Fourth Gospel. If we take this childishly, then we add that there was an aid, another being, through whom God created the world. The Bible is not as foolish as this. The Bible means that the universal structure of being, which is the principle of divine self-manifestation, participates in creation. And this universal structure, at the same time, has appeared as a human being in the Christ. If you state it this way, you say something which is in line with biblical reality.
But your statement referred to a god who is "limited" if he cannot work any nonsense in the world when he wants to. This idea of an almighty tyrant, sitting on his throne, means that he could suddenly create a stone so heavy that he could not carry it himself. Now you see the absurdity to which you come if you persist in this imagery.

틸리히: 아닙니다. 만일 신 자신이 세계 안에 있는 하나의 인과율에 불과하다고 학생이 주장한다면, 학생의 입장이 옳을지 모르겠습니다. 그러나 그는 ‘존재의 근거’요 ‘창조적인 신성’이라고 한다면, 그는 밤낮을 가리지 않고 창조하고 계십니다. 또한 그는 다함 없이 창조하시되 자기가 창조하기 원하는 방향으로, 로고스를 따라 창조하십니다. 로고스는 이성과 언어와 구조를 의미합니다. 제4복음서에 보면, 모든 것이 로고스를 통해 만들어졌습니다. 우리가 이것을 어리석게 이해하면, 또 다른 존재가 있었는데 신이 그것을 통하여 세계를 창조하였다는 식으로 되어 버릴 것입니다. 성서가 그처럼 우매하지는 않습니다. 성서가 뜻하는 것은 신적 자기표현의 원리가 되는 존재의 보편적 구조가 창조에 참여한다는 것입니다. 동시에 이 보편적 구조가 그리스도 안에서 인간으로 나타났습니다. 이러한 식으로 말하면, 성서의 사실과 조화를 이룹니다.
그러나 학생은 말하기를, 어떤 신이 자기가 원할 때 세계 안에서 어떤 어리석은 짓을 저지를 수 없다면 그는 ‘제한 받는다’거 하였습니다. 이것은 결국 자기의 왕좌 위에 앉아 있는 전능한 폭군에 대한 개념으로서 그는 돌연히 너무나 무거운 돌을 만들었기 때문에 스스로 처리할 수 없게 된다는 말밖에 되지 않습니다. 여기서 학생은 자기의 주장을 고집하면 부조리에 봉착하게 됨을 깨달으리라고 믿습니다.

Student: You say that a miracle could not be an intervention of God into his creation, and with this I will agree But I prefer to think of it as an application of natural laws of which we do not have knowledge. You mentioned the yogis in Hinduism, but the East thinks of different levels of reality. Man is physical, mental, and spiritual; and there is a continuum of relationship all the way through. Each of these levels has its laws, or natural laws. Now couldn’t a miracle be an application of a law on a higher level than we may be aware of?
학생: 기적은 신의 자기의 창조에 대한 간섭일 수 없다고 말씀하셨는데 저는 그것에 동의합니다. 그렇지만 기적은 우리가 인식하지 못하는 자연법의 적용이라고 저는 생각하게 됩니다. 박사님께서 힌두교의 유가 수행자들에 관하여 언급하셨습니다만, 동양인은 실재에 여러 수준이 있다고 생각합니다. 인간은 육체적이고 정신적이면 영적이라고 합니다. 그리고 그들에게는 관계의 연속성이 있다는 것입니다. 수준마다 제 나름의 법칙 또는 자연법이 있습니다. 그러고 보면, 기적은 우리의 인식을 초월한 높은 수준에 속한 법칙의 적용이 될 수 있지 않겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Well, yes, you might consider for instance the biological as a higher level. At the biological level we do not completely understand biological reality in terms of chemical laws. I would say that there are many things in biology of which we know very little. I participated in a conference in Chicago recently with some physicists and theologians. It was astonishing to hear the geneticists — the subject was atomic radiation, the radiation problem — admit how little we know about the laws or events of mutation. They simply said, "We do not know." Innumerable mysteries remain. But I refuse to admit that an event like the unusual storm which I experienced two days ago in Santa Barbara was supernatural. We do not need to move a whole realm of hidden meteorological forces in order to explain this. There certainly are many meteorological phenomena of which, as yet, we know nothing. But if we consider the actions of Jesus during the storm in the Bible as affecting the whole meteorological constellation of the world, which this really would imply, then we would contribute to what I think is a demonic destruction of the structure of reality.
Now take many psychological occurrences: nobody really knows the truth about the phenomena described, for instance, at Duke University by —.
틸리히: 그렇습니다. 생물학적인 것을 보다 높은 수준에 속하는 것으로 실례를 들어도 좋습니다. 우리는 화학적인 법칙을 가지고 생물학적인 실재를 절대로 이해하지 못합니다. 생물학에는 우리가 별반 알지 못하는 사실이 많습니다. 최근에 나는 시카고에서 개최된 물리학자들과 신학자들의 회합에 참석한 일이 있습니다. 그 회의의 주제는 원자 방사선에 관한 문제였는데 나는 유전학자들이 지금 우리가 변화의 법칙 또는 사건에 대하여 별로 아는 바가 없다는 점에 수긍하는 것을 듣고 놀라지 않을 수 없었습니다. 그들은 “우리는 모릅니다” 하고 간단히 말해 버렸습니다. 무수한 신비가 남아 있는 셈입니다. 그렇지만 내가 이틀 전에 산타 바아바라에서 경험한 이상한 폭풍우와 같은 사건을 초자연적인 것이라고 나는 긍정하지 않습니다. 이것을 설명하기 위하여 우리에게 감취어진 기상학적 힘의 총 영역을 동원할 필요도 없다고 봅니다. 물론 우리가 아직 알지 못하는 기상학적 현상이 많습니다. 그러나 우리가 성서에 나타난 대로 폭풍우 속에서 예수가 취한 행동이 세계의 전체 기상학적 성좌에 영향을 주려고 한 것으로 간주한다면, 우리는 결국 실재의 구조를 악마적으로 파괴하는 결과를 초래하는 데 공헌하게 되리라고 생각합니다.
또한 여러 가지 심리학적 사건들을 실례로 들어봅시다. 즉 듀크 대학교의 교수가 논술한 현상(phenomena)의 진수에 관하여 실제로 아는 사람이 없다는 것입니다.

Professor: Extrasensory perception?
교수: ‘초감각적 지각’(extrasensory perception) 말씀입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes — what is the name of the man?
틸리히: 네, 그런데 그 분의 이름이 무엇이던가요?

Student: Dr. Rhine?
학생: 라인(Rhine) 박사입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, thank you. Now, for instance, I could easily understand a similar experience in the case of Jesus when he says to the soldier from Capernaum, "Go home: thy servant has been healed." [Matt. 8:5-13] From friends and others I have heard of similar experiences. And here we have no real explanation in our usual sense. I agree with you. But what you call "level" I prefer to call "dimension," and I would say that the structures within this dimension are largely unknown to us. There may be insights in the East that go far beyond those of the West because our interest, in modern times, is exclusively the quantitive, calculable side of reality. But do we say that everything can be explained by such insights? That would be more rationalization.

틸리히: 네, 고맙습니다. 이제 예를 들면, 예수가 가버나움에서 온 군인에게 “집으로 가라. 네 종이 낫겠다”(카태 8:5-13)고 말한 경우에서 비슷한 경험을 나는 쉽게 이해할 수 있습니다. 나는 친구들과 사람들로부터 근사한 경험에 대하여 들은 적이 있습니다. 우리는 여기서 통상적인 의미로 깊이 있게 설명할 길이 없습니다. 이 점에 대해서 나는 학생과 의견을 같이 합니다. 그러나 학생이 ‘수준’(level)이라고 부르는 것을 나는 오히려 ‘차원’(dimension)이라고 부르고 싶습니다. 따라서 이 차원 안에 있는 구조들은 대부분 우리에게 불가지한 것이라고 하겠습니다. 현대에 있어서 우리의 관심이 너무도 예외적으로 실제의 물량적이고 타산적인 측면에 치우쳐 있기 때문에 동양의 통찰력이 서구의 것을 능가할는지도 모르겠습니다. 그렇지만 그러한 통찰력이 모든 것을 설명할 수 있다고 하겠습니까? 그렇다면 그것은 보다 더한 합리화일 것입니다.

Professor: Dr. Tillich, may we ask one final question on this? Does the translucence of Jesus give him greater access to these often hidden realms than the ordinary person would have?
교수: 틸리히 박사님, 이 문제에 관해서 마지막으로 질문 하나 해도 좋겠습니까? 즉 예수는 그의 반(半)투명성(translucence) 때문에 평범한 사람보다 숨겨진 영역에 더 가까이 접근할 수 있었습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, I believe in the same way in which it would give such access to St. Teresa or other saints — perhaps in a higher degree. But we cannot answer this in terms of empirical knowledge.
틸리히: 네, 예수의 경우가 정도는 약간 높을지 모르지만, 성 테라사나 다른 성인의 경우의 흡사하리라고 나는 믿습니다. 그러나 우리가 이것을 경험적 지식으로는 답변할 수 없습니다.

Professor: But intuitive knowledge?
교수: 그러나 직관적 지식으로 할 수 있다는 말씀입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Intuitive knowledge in psychological realms, I would believe, yes. Because that is where intuition plays a much higher role than in the physical dimension. And since Jesus was certainly what the New Testament says, "full of the divine spirit and driven by the divine spirit, and possessed of the spirit without limit," he was superior in all those realms in which existential participation is possible, as many human beings are superior. But in realms where the calculative method and the method of verification have to be applied, we should not say that the religiously great man has more knowledge. Every young student of physics knows more about physics than Jesus knew, or any of the saints of the Orient.
틸리히: 그렇습니다. 나는 심리학적 영역에 속한 직관적 지식을 믿습니다. 그 이유는 직관이 육체적 차원에서보다 심리적 영역에서 훨씬 고등한 역할을 담당하기 때문입니다. 신약성서에 기록된 바와 같이 예수는 “성령이 충만하고 성령의 인도를 받았으며 제한 없는 성령을 소유하였기에” 그는 수많은 인간들과 마찬가지로 자기의 실존적 참여가 가능한 영역에서 탁월성을 보았습니다. 그러나 계산적 방법과 증명의 방법이 작용되어야 하는 영역에서는 종교적 위인이 보다 많은 지식을 가졌다고 말해서는 안 됩니다. 모든 젊은 물리학도는 예수나 동양의 어느 성인이 가졌던 물리학에 대한 지식보다 훨씬 더 많이 알고 있습니다.

Professor: But you would still expect to find more examples of these unusual phenomena to be associated with the lives of men like the saints, or with Jesus?
교수: 그러나 박사님께서는 성인들이나 예수와 같은 인간들의 생활과 관련된 비범한 현상에 대하여 실례를 좀 더 찾아보고자 하시는 것 같은데요.

Dr. Tillich: Yes, but only if we clearly distinguish these levels of knowledge in terms of participation, which can happen between men and men, and sometimes between men and animals to a certain degree, where "empathetic participation" can be strengthened by a strong spirituality. Then I would accept this. But if it is objectified, as empirical knowledge, I would adhere to my former statement that any student of physics at the University of California in Santa Barbara first semester, knows more about physics than the man Jesus and all the saints, who simply did not have this objective knowledge.
틸리히: 그렇습니다. 그러나 거기에는 조건이 붙습니다. 즉 지식의 수준들을 ‘감정적 참여’(empathetic participation)가 강렬한 정신성에 의하여 강화될 수 있는 참여의 규범으로 선명하게 구별한다면 말입니다. (그러한 참여는 인간과 인간 사이에, 그리고 어느 정도 인간과 동물 사이에 간홀 일어납니다.) 그러나 만일 그것이 경험적 지식처럼 객관화된다면, 제가 위에서 말했듯이 산타 바아바라에 있는 칼리포오니아 대학교에서 물리학을 공부하는 어떤 학생도 이미 첫 학기에 객관적 지식을 소유하지 못했던 인간 예수나 모든 성인들보다 물리학에 관해서 더 많이 안다는 사실을 고집하고 싶습니다.

Student: Well, then you are saying that Jesus, as far as you are concerned, wasn’t so much a worker of miracles as a good psychologist?
학생: 그러면 박사님의 생각에는 예수가 좋은 심리학자만큼 기적의 수행자가 이니었다는 말씀입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now "psychologist" can also mean two things in this context. You see, language is so important in this discussion. "Good psychologists" can be "test psychologists" as at Berkeley, a very highly developed institution in this field. And good psychologists can be those who meet a girl and feel there is something in her which makes her adequate for friendship, and perhaps even marriage. But this latter application of psychology is not a matter which can really be scientifically objectified by the psychology department of a university; it is "empathetic participation." And in this sense Jesus was a good psychologist; but we don’t call what he had "good psychology" — we call it empathy for other human beings.
틸리히: 여기서 ‘심리학자’라는 말은 두 가지 사실을 의미할 수 있습니다. 그러니까 우리의 토의에서는 언어가 매우 중요하다는 것이지요. ‘좋은 심리학자들’(good psychologists)은 버클리에 있는 고도로 발달한 연구소와 같은 곳에서 일하고 있는 ‘실험 심리학자들’(test psychologists)일 수 있습니다. 또한 좋은 심리학자들은 어떤 여성을 만나서 그 여자에게는 우정과 심지어는 결혼의 가능성이 있다고 느끼는 사람들일 수도 있습니다. 그런데 이 후자의 심리학적 적용은 어떤 대학교의 심리학과가 과학적으로 객관화할 수 있는 문제가 아닙니다. 그것은 ‘감정적 참여’이기 때문입니다. 이러한 의미에서 예수는 좋은 심리학자였습니다. 그러나 우리는 그가 소유하였던 것을 ‘좋은 심리학’이라고 말하지 않습니다. 차라리 그것은 다른 인간들을 위한 감정이라고 합니다.

Student: One of your German colleagues, Bonhoeffer, it seem to me, explains miracles in the same way: that natural laws haven’t been fully understood yet. Aren’t we, then, sort of edging God out of the world progressively as our knowledge increases? We know more and God knows less.
학생: 박사님의 독일인 동료 중의 한 분인 본회퍼(Dietrich Bonhoeffer)도 기적을 동일한 방법으로 설명하는 것 같습니다. 즉 자연법이 아직도 완전하게 이해되지 않았다는 것입니다. 그렇다면 우리의 지식이 증가함에 따라 신은 점차적으로 세계의 변두리로 쫓겨나게 되는 것이 아닙니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, this is true of a god who is a particular force and knows much, like the Greek god Hermes, for example, who knew more about the directions by which to go somewhere than the people he had to guide. Certainly in this sense God was eliminated, I think, by the Greek philosophers when they called "being-itself" divine. But actually this elimination never fully occurred, even in Christianity. Therefore we have always had to have a theology that combats the idea of a god who simply knows more than man. Instead, theology insists on a God who knows everything. And that is something entirely different, qualitatively different, because this is not a knowledge in terms of subject-object. It is the knowledge of being the "creative ground" of everything. And therefore everything participates in him, and he in it. Otherwise we commit another absurdity: God knows what would have happened, if what did happen had not happened! Now this kind of absurdity simply has to be given up, as well as the nonsense of putting God in the situation of a heavenly tyrant who has a better knowledge about physics than we have. God is in every moving atom, in it as its creative ground. He is not identical with it; that would be pantheism. But he is its creative ground. And he is in it, not substantially only but also spiritually, and therefore knowingly. That is what divine knowledge means. And for the sake of this real God, the god who knows more or less must be eliminated. In this sense you are right.

틸리히:  그렇습니다. 그것은 어떤 신이 희랍의 신 헤르메스처럼 특수한 세력이나 많은 지식을 가지고 있는 경우에 해당되는 것인데, 그러한 신은 자기의 인도를 받아야 할 사람들보다 나아갈 방향에 대하여 더 잘 알고 있습니다. 이러한 의미에서 희랍 철학자들이 ‘존재 자체’(being-itself)를 신성하다고 부를 때 그들은 분명히 신을 제거하였다고 나는 생각합니다. 그러나 실제로 이 제거가 기독교 안에서마저도 철저하게 수행되지 않았습니다. 그러므로 우리는 인간보다 조금밖에는 더 모르는 신념관과 싸울 신학을 항시 소지해야 하였습니다. 이 신학은 모든 것을 아는 신을 역설합니다. 그리고 이것은 질적으로 다른 것입니다. 그 이유는 이것이 주관-객관에 의한 지식이 아니기 때문입니다. 그것은 모든 것의 ‘창조적 근거’(creative ground)에 대한 지식입니다. 그러므로 모든 것이 그이 안에, 그가 모든 것 안에 참여합니다. 그렇지 않으면, 우리는 또 하나의 부조리를 범하게 됩니다. 즉 신은 일어난 사실이 비록 일어나지 않았다고 할지라도 무엇이 일어날지 안다고 하는 것입니다. 우리는 이러한 종류의 부조리와 함께 신을 마치 우리보다 물리학에 관하여 더 많은 지식을 가진 천상의 폭군처럼 취급하는 어리석은 생각도 미련 없이 포기해야 합니다. 신은 개개의 운동하는 원자 속에 그것의 창조적 근거로서 존재합니다. 그는 원자와 동일하지 않습니다. 그것은 범신론(pantheism)일 것입니다. 다시 말하면, 신은 원자의 창조적 근거입니다. 그는 그 속에 단지 실체적으로만 아니라 또한 정신적으로, 따라서 지식적으로 존재합니다. 이것이 바로 신적 지식이 의미하는 사실입니다. 따라서 이 참 신을 위하여 어느 정도 무엇을 안다는 신은 제거되어야만 합니다. 이러한 의미에서 학생의 생각으나 옳다고 하겠습니다.

What Is Providence?
Student: I am not clear in my own mind as to the relationship of God or the divine to the concept of a "sign event" that we were discussing. Could you say that God willfully associates himself with this? Is he drawing creation up toward him? Or is creation sort of erupting out toward God?

섭리란 무엇인가?
학생: 저에게는 신과 지금 우리가 토의하고 있는 ‘표시의 사건’의 개념과의 관계가 분명치 않습니다. 신이 자의적으로 그것과 교제한다는 것입니까? 신이 창조를 자기에게로 이끄는 것입니까? 아니면 창조가 신에게로 달려가는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: You see this is a question that concerns the problem of providence The word "providence," like most of the other old terms, needs purging. In my Systematic Theology, I call providence the "directing creativity of God." But providence is not only an originating power; it also maintains — its second aspect.
This second aspect of providence is its power to preserve the structure, which is the same act of course as creation, but seen from the point of view of continuation
And then there is a third aspect, a directing toward a telos, or aim. The whole problem of miracles falls under this third form of providence or divine creativity, namely, a creating in such a way that, in the interplay of divine creativity and creaturely freedom (not only in man, but in every creature), this interplay becomes the continuous creativity of God in the context of reality as a whole.
I think it is very good that you have asked this question. It brings us to the over-all framework within which miracles can happen. This framework is not one of deterministic necessity — neither in the Cartesian nor in the Calvinistic sense, nor even in the amalgamation of Cartesianism and Calvinism in the later Calvinist doctrine of predestination.
And still another thing is implied here: a contingent happening in reality which has no direction. There is contingency in reality, and we call this in the biological realm (at least I call it so) the "spontaneity" of plants and biological beings, and perhaps even atoms. In man we call it "freedom." The directing creativity of God goes through the freedom and spontaneity of creatures. This is a good old Thomistic idea, namely, that God acts in the world by secondary causes, which means through the inner nature of the creaturely things themselves. The inner nature of living beings is spontaneity; and in the dimension of spirit, or man, it is freedom. So God doesn’t act from outside in a particular causality. The miracle situation is a situation in the context of God’s directing creativity, formerly called "providence."

틸리히: 학생의 질문은 섭리의 문제와 관계된 것입니다. ‘섭리’(providence)라는 말은 대부분의 낡은 용어들처럼 정화할 필요가 있습니다. 나는 ‘조직 신학’에서 섭리를 가리켜서 ‘신의 지향적 창조성’(the directing creativity of God)이라고 하였습니다. 그러나 섭리는 창조적인 능력일 뿐만 아니라, 그것은 또한 보존적 능력이기도 합니다.
섭리의 이 둘째 면은 구조를 보존하는 능력인데 그것은 물론 창조와 동일한 행위이지만 지속성의 관점에서 본 것입니다.
그 다음 셋째 면으로 목적을 향하는 지향성이 있습니다. 기적에 관한 전체 문제는 이 섭리 또는 신의 창조성의 셋째 형태에 집중되어 있습니다. 이것은 곧 신의 창조성과 피조물의 자유(인간에게만 아니라 모든 피조물에게 있는)의 상호작용 안에서 실재 전체와 관련된 계속적 창조성이 되는 것입니다.
나는 학생이 이 질문을 던진 것을 참으로 다행스럽게 생각합니다. 그것은 기적이 일어날 수 있는 전체 구조에 대하여 생각하게 합니다. 이 구조는 데카르트주의나 칼빈주의이 입장이나 또는 데카르트주의와 후기 예정론을 중심한 칼빈주의의 규합에서 연유된 결정론적 필연성 따위가 아닙니다.
여기에 또 하나의 사실이 암시되고 있습니다. 그것은 곧 현실에는 방향이 없는 우연한 사건이 일어난다는 것입니다. 현실에는 우연성이 있는데 이것을 생물학적 영역에서는 식물, 생물학적 존재, 그리고 심지어는 원자 등의 ‘자발성’(spontaneity)이라고 합니다(최소한 나는 그렇게 부릅니다). 인간의 영역에서는 그것을 ‘자유’라고 합니다. 신의 지향적 창조성은 피조물들의 자유와 자발성을 경유합니다. 이것이 참으로 낡은 토마스주의적 사상입니다. 그것에 의하면, 신은 제2차적 원인을 이용하여 세계에서 행동한다는 것인데, 이 말은 곧 피조적인 사물들 자체의 내적 본성을 통하여 행동한다는 뜻입니다. 살아 있는 존재들의 내적 본성은 자발성입니다. 그것이 정신 또는 인간의 차원에서는 자유입니다. 그러므로 신은 어떤 특수한 인과율을 가지고 외부로부터 행동을 취해 어지 않습니다. 기적의 상황은 신의 지향적 창조성 즉 형식적인 표현을 빌면 ‘섭리’와 인연 맺은 상황입니다.

Can a Secular Society Survive?
Student: I have another sort of question. First, you said that when religion in the broad or larger sense of the word becomes institutionalized in particular forms it is inevitably demonized, and then has to be reformed again and again. Also, you said that in the past humanistic societies, secular societies, have failed in the sense that they have become empty. Now what I would like to know is this: Would it not be possible, given our present secular society, to find and create within it the acknowledgment of religion in the larger sense, and to ignore religion in the particular sense, such as Christianity, because of the fact that its fate must always be a demonization? Could we not then create a society which is secular but which is also conscious of religion in the larger sense? 
세속 사회는 잔존할 수 있나?
학생: 저는 다른 종류의 문제를 하나 가지고 있습니다. 먼저 박사님께서는 넓고 큰 의미의 종교가 특정한 형태로 제도화되어 버릴 때 그것은 필연적으로 악마화되며 그렇게 되면 거듭 혁신되어야만 한다고 말씀하셨습니다. 또한 박사님은 과거의 인본주의 사회들 곧 세속 사회들이 공허하게 되었다는 의미에서 실패한 것이라고 말씀하셨습니다. 여기서 제가 알고 싶은 것은 바로 이것입니다. 즉 현재 우리의 세속 사회가 넓은 의미에서의 종교를 인정하고 또한 창조하면서도 기독교와 같은 특수한 의미에서의 종교는 그것이 지닌 악마화의 운명 때문에 무시해야하는 사실이 가능하지 않겠습니까? 그렇다면 우리는 세속적인 동시에 넑은 의미의 종교를 의식하는 사회를 창건할 수 있지 않겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, this is a question which is in the minds of many people. First of all, this attitude is actualized by many who decline to participate in any way, or so they think, in religion in the narrower sense. They devote themselves to art, literature, human relations, science, philosophy, and have some consciousness of moral principles and so on. They are not unusual.
But your question would actually involve another question: Is a completely secular state possible? My answer is, of course, that it is not possible in terms of the larger concept of religion, because in all forms of life, in political groups for instance the ultimate appears in some way or another. If it did not, if the state became completely a matter of personal hedonistic or utilitarian calculation, then it would come to an end.
So I would formulate your question this way: In the long run, is a lack of concrete historical religion possible without total secularization or profanization of life, which in turn would result in self-destruction of society?
My answer to you must be that, without the concreteness of the religious experience in terms of specific symbols and devotional activities, and community participation in them, there results in the long run a disappearance of the substance of religion. It becomes thinner and thinner. It is reduced to occasional feelings that one might or might not experience. Its power is gone. And when I offer this answer, think of it as a confession of the sin of all mankind, namely, that mankind is not able to feel the divine fully present in every moment of its life. We cannot pray without intermission. This, of course, if taken literally, seems absurd, but it implies something beyond the literal meaning. It means that the experience of the presence of the divine, and our elevation of it, should be possible in every moment; but it is not.
The ideal is that God lives within us, and therefore we have no need of temples or of services. It is interesting that, again and again in church history, people have realized this. One whom I know especially well is Luther, and he said, "We really do not need church services at all. We can be in direct communication with God. But for the masses, for the peasants, for the uneducated, we need the churches in order to maintain their relationship to God." Now I myself would apply this rule to all of us; we are all poor people because we all have the fundamental tendency toward the secular, toward going out of the presence of God, fleeing from God. And religions are the restraining, the balancing power. They are not necessary in the ultimate sense, in the essential sense of the word; but they are necessary in the existential sense because of man’s existential estrangement. For this reason I would say that people should now be allowed to regain a religious feeling outside the church, since they are not able to have it within, partly because of themselves and partly because of the failures of the churches. But let us remember the fact that the churches are the treasure chests in which the religious substance is preserved. Very often they are locked shut; we cannot get into them; the religious substance only stands on the altar, so to speak, but doesn’t radiate into our life. It is then understandable to hear believers say, "We don’t care; we have the divine somewhere else." But sometimes the treasure chest opens itself again, and then it is very important that there be at least a group of people who can participate in it and in its great rituals and symbolic power. That is my answer to your question.

틸리히:  네, 그 질문은 많은 사람들의 마음을 사로잡고 있는 것입니다. 어쨌든 좁은 의미의 종교에는 가담하기를 거부하는 사람들의 먼저 이러한 태도를 취하고 있습니다. 그들은 예술, 문학, 인간관계, 과학, 철학 등에 자신을 헌신하며 따라서 도덕적 원리에 대한 약간의 의식마저 지니고 있습니다. 그들은 이상한 존재들은 아닙니다.
그러나 학생의 질문에는 실제로 또 하나의 문제가 내포되고 있습니다. 즉 완전한 세속 국가가 가능하냐 하는 것입니다. 물론 나는 종교의 넓은 의미에서 볼 때 그것은 불가능하다고 생각합니다. 왜냐하면 예를 들어서, 모든 형태의 생활과 정치적 집단에는 궁극적인 것이 어떤 모양으로라도 출현하기 때문입니다. 만일 궁극적인 것이 출현하지 않았다면, 즉 국가가 개인의 향락적 또는 공리적 타산의 대상이 되었다면, 그것은 곧 종말에 이르게 될 것입니다.
그래서 나는 학생의 질문을 다음과 같이 정리하고 싶습니다. 즉 결국에 가서 구체적인 역사적 종교의 결핍이 사회의 자기 파멸을 결과할지도 모를 삶의 전체적 세속화 내지는 불경화 없이도 가능한가 하는 것입니다.
나는 학생의 질문에 대해서 다음과 같이 말할 수밖에 없습니다. 즉 특정한 상징, 헌신적 활동, 공동체에의 참여 등을 통한 종교적 경험의 구체성이 없을 때 종당에는 종교의 본질이 상실되는 결과를 초래한다고 종교는 점차적으로 쇠약해집니다. 경험을 하고 못하는 문제는 우발적인 감정으로 간주됩니다. 따라서 종교의 힘은 완전히 자취를 감춥니다. 나는 이렇게 대답할 때 이것을 인류의 죄에 대한 고백으로 생각합니다. 그 말은 곧 인류가 자기의 삶의 순간마다 신이 현존함을 감촉하지 못한다는 것입니다. 우리가 끊임없이 기도할 수는 없습니다. 그러므로 우리가 위의 말을 문자 그대로 이해한다면 부조리하게 들릴지 모릅니다. 그러나 그것은 문자적 의미 이상의 것을 말합니다. 신의 현존의 경험은 순간마다 가능해야만 하나, 사실상 그렇지 못한다는 뜻입니다.
신이 우리 안에 임재하시기 때문에 우리가 성전을 가지거나 예배드릴 필요가 없다는 것은 이상론에 불과합니다. 교회사를 보면, 사람들이 거듭해서 이 문제를 실천에 옮기려고 한 사실을 알 수 있는데 참으로 흥미 있는 일입니다. 내가 특별히 잘 아는 사람은 루터인데 그는 다음과 같이 말하였습니다. “우리에게는 사실상 교회에서의 예배가 전혀 필요 없습니다. 우리는 신과 직접으로 의사소통이 가능합니다. 그러나 대중들, 농민들, 무교육자들이 신과의 관계를 유지하기 위해서 우리에게는 교회가 필요합니다.” 여기서 나는 이 법칙을 우리 모두에게 적용해 보고 싶습니다. 우리는 모두 불쌍한 사람들입니다. 그것은 우리 모두가 신의 현존에서 도피하여 세속적인 것에로 향하려는 근본적인 경향성을 가지고 있기 때문입니다. 그런데 종교는 견제하고 균형 시키는 힘입니다. 궁극적인 의미에서나 본질적인 의미에서 그들이 필요한 것뿐입니다. 바로 이 이유 때문에 사람들은 교회 밖에서나마 종교적 감정을 회복하도록 허락되어야 한다고 나는 말하고 싶습니다. 그들이 자신들 때문에 그리고 교회의 실패 때문에 그 감정을 소유할 수 없으니 말입니다. 그러나 교회는 종교적 본질이 보관되어 있는 보고(寶庫)라는 사실을 기억해둡시다. 그것은 너무도 자주 문이 꽉 닫혀 있습니다. 우리는 그 속에 들어갈 수가 없습니다. 종교적 본질은 제단 위에만 서있고 우리의 생활에는 비치지 않습니다. 그러므로 “신이 어디엔가 있을 터이니 우리가 염려할 바가 아니다”고 하는 신자들의 말을 들을 때 이해가 갑니다. 그러나 그 보고는 가끔 열리는 수가 있습니다. 그 때 매우 중요한 사실은, 그 보고와 위대한 예전과 상징적 능력에 참여할 수 있는 사람들의 집단이 과연 있는가 하는 것입니다. 이것이 학생의 질문에 대한 나의 대답입니다.

Professor: Dr. Tillich, looking at the faces of your audience, I sense one or two questions from agnostic listeners. One may infer from your remark that a government may degenerate, in a purely secular state, to where it becomes a selfish struggle for power and then destroys itself. But is there a necessary identification of secular with selfish? The question originally was: Why cannot a purely secular state continue and recognize virtue and the sort of thing which is necessary to keep the state going, with due respect for law and so on? Why is this not possible in the secular? Why is "secular" always identified with selfishness?

교수: 틸리히 박사님, 제가 여기 앉아 있는 청중의 얼굴들을 살펴볼 때 불가지론적인 청취자들에게 한두 가지 질문이 있음을 직감하게 됩니다. 즉 순수한 세속적 국가에 있어서는 정부가 이기주의적 권력 투쟁으로 탈락하여 결국은 스스로 멸망하게 될지도 모른다는 추론을 혹자는 박사님의 말씀 중에서 끄집어 낼 듯합니다. 그러나 세속적인 것과 이기주의적인 것이 필연적으로 동일시될 성질의 것입니까? 이 질문은 본래 다음과 같은 것입니다. 즉 어찌 해서 순수한 세속적 국가는 자체를 유지하기에 필요한 덕목과 법률을 지속시키고 인정할 수 없느냐 하는 것입니다. 왜 이것이 세속적 국가에서는 불가능합니까? 왜 ‘세속적인 것’은 언제나 이기주의와 동일시되고 있습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Not with selfishness, but with utilitarianism. This is a rather larger concept. I would say this, that so long as there is, as in Immanuel Kant, the concept of an ultimate concern with respect to duty and obligation and commitment, the state is not secularized; it may not be related to a concrete religion, but it is not secularized. If we then proceed to nineteenth-century philosophy, to people like Mill and the utilitarians like Bentham and so on, we encounter the phenomenon of naturalistic secularization The situation has slipped out of the first or broad concept of religion. Then I would say there is no reliance on anybody, in principle anyway. We have wide areas in the world, and in some sections of this country too, where there is no such reliance because of naturalistic attitudes towards life. Should this attitude be held consistently (now nothing is consistent in life), people would simply calculate every issue, "Can I break the law here without punishment and so on?"

틸리히: 그것과 동일시되는 것은 이기주의가 아니라 공리주의입니다. 이것은 보다 중요한 개념이지요. 내가 말하고 싶은 것은, 임마누엘 칸트에게서처럼, 의무, 책임, 위임 등이 어떤 궁극적 관심의 개념과 인연을 맺고 있는 한, 국가는 세속화되지 않는다는 것입니다. 그것이 어떤 구체적인 종교와 관계되지 않을 수 있습니다. 그러나 그것이 세속화는 되지 않습니다. 하지만 우리가 19세가 철학으로 돌아가서 특히 밀(Mill)과 같은 사람들이나 벤담(Bentham)과 같은 공리주의자들을 고찰해 보면, 자연주의적 세속화의 현상을 직면하게 됩니다. 이 상황은 종교의 넓은 개념에서 탈출해 버린 것입니다. 그러므로 여기에서는 원리상 아무에게도 신뢰를 두지 않는다고 말해서 좋습니다. 우리는 세계에서 또한 이 나라의 도처에서 삶에 대한 자연주의적 태도로 인하여 신뢰가 없는 넓은 지역을 가지게 됩니다. 이러한 태도가 시종일관하게 고수된다면(삶에는 시종일관한 것이 아무것도 없지만), 사람들은 “내가 이제 법을 어기고도 벌을 받지 않을 수 있을까?”하는 식으로 모든 문제를 간단하게 계산해 버릴 것입니다.

Professor: Why cannot the schools take the place of the churches? In schools, we could continually inculcate ideals of service and virtue and respect for law, on the ground that they are necessary to keep society together. If this were done, why should not the naturalistic or the secular attitude be sufficient?
교수: 왜 학교가 교회를 위치를 대신 할 수 없습니까? 우리는 학교에서 봉사, 덕목, 법 존중 등의 이념들이 사회를 하나로 규합하는 데 절대 필요하다고 계속해서 가르칠 수 있습니다. 만일 이것일 실현된다면, 왜 자연주의적 또는 세속적 태도가 만족스럽지 않겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, now we come to the second question: Can this unconditional concern, in the sense of my first broad concept of religion, survive in the long run and not deteriorate into pure naturalism, without having a set of symbols? This is the question. The symbolic representation of the holy produces the feeling of unconditional seriousness, or a sense of the holy. If we inculcate or indoctrinate, as you call it (a questionable thing to do), or if we try to radiate through the teacher something of unconditional concern in terms of the prevailing ethical norm, then we have something holy. We consider our duties sacred or holy as Kant did. That is clear and obvious. But this holiness is reduced then to duty and does not have a profounder source in being and reality itself. I doubt that the holy itself, without the symbols for holiness, can retain its unconditional character for us. I do not know. There is no experience in mankind to prove that it can. There is evidence that for some time an original religious substance still operates in people in a society that has become secular. But in time — and historical development shows this process to be rapid once the religious substance is lost — the sense of duty and responsibility degenerates and becomes naturalistic calculation. So it was in Greece; so it is in modern times. And then the phenomenon of emptiness sets in with all the reactions it produces. Now that is my vision of these cycles.
틸리히: 네, 지금 우리가 둘째 문제에 다다른 감이 있습니다. 즉 내가 종교의 넓은 기념에서 말하는 무조건적 관심이 상징들을 보유하지 않을 때 순수한 자연주의로 타락하지 아니하고 끝까지 존속할 수 있을까 하는 것입니다. 바로 이것이 문제입니다. 거룩한 것의 상징적인 표현은 무조건적 심각성의 감정 또는 거룩에 대한 느낌을 자아냅니다. 만일 우리가 유행하는 윤리적 규범의 한도 안에서 무조건적 관심의 일부를 가르치거나(교수님께서 말씀하신 대로) 도는 선생이라는 매체를 통하여 방사하려고 시도한다면, 우리는 거룩한 것을 소유하게 됩니다. 이것은 매우 분명한 사실입니다. 그러나 그 다음에 찾아오는 문제는 그 거룩함이 의무로 전환되어 존재와 실재 자체에 내재하는 의미 심장한 자원을 지니지 못한다는 것입니다. 거룩한 것 자체가 거룩의 상징 없이 그 무조건적 성격을 우리에게 보여줄 수 있는지 아는 나는 의심합니다. 나도 모르겠어요. 인류에게는 그 가능성을 증명할 경험이 없습니다. 본래적인 종교적 본질이 세속화되어 버린 사회 속에 사는 사람들 가운데서도 그대로 작용한 적이 있었다는 증거는 있습니다. 그러나 조만간에 종교적 본질이 상실 될 때 의무감과 책임감은 타락하여 자연주의적 타산이 되어 버립니다. 그것은 희랍에서도 그랬고 현대에도 그렇습니다. 결과적으로 그것이 산출하는 모든 반응과 함께 공허성의 현상이 스며듭니다. 이상이 그 순환에 대한 나의 비전입니다.

Professor: The agnostic wants to know why the school cannot embody these symbols without any reference to the holy?
교수: 여기 있는 불가지론자가 알기 원하는 것은 어찌해서 학교가 상징을 거룩한 것이라고 언급하지 아니하고서도 그것을 구체화할 수 없느냐 하는 것입니다.

Dr. Tillich: No. Then it remains merely an imperative without a source of this imperative, without an ultimate source. Of course the schoolteacher can be a priest in character, even if not a priest in a church; he fulfills the same thing. But I know that you mean the school in its essential nature, a completely secular institution which dispenses knowledge. And through knowledge alone we cannot achieve this. And we can also say that knowledge of moral law does not give us the feeling for the holiness of the moral law.
So the question is: What can give us the feeling for the holiness of the moral law? I think that history has shown — and it is my personal experience, too — that only the vision of the holy itself, of that ground of our own being on which we depend, can make us take the moral law with ultimate seriousness. What the teacher as mere teacher says, if he is not a devout person, produces resistance first of all. Then if the resistance is broken by brainwashing or indoctrination, the moral imperative becomes simply a matter of anxiety or tradition. But it is not the thing that Luther called "doing the good lovingly." That is the only real moral imperative — the principle of love. The principle of love cannot be conveyed by merely teaching what the law is.
틸리히: 그것은 불가능합니다. 그렇게 되면 학교는 절대적 명령의 근원 즉 궁극적 근원 없는 절대적 명령으로 남아 있게 마련입니다. 물론 학교 교사가 비록 교회의 승려는 아니라 할지라도 성격상 승려 노릇을 하겠지요. 그리고 같은 기능을 발휘 할 것입니다. 그러나 교수님이 말씀하시는 학교의 본질은 지식을 분배하는 완전히 세속적인 기관이라고 나는 이해합니다. 하지만 지식만으로는 절대적 명령을 성취할 수 없습니다. 따라서 도덕법에 관한 지식이 우리로 하여금 도덕법의 거룩함을 느끼게 하지 못한다는 것도 우리는 역시 말할 수 있습니다.
그러므로 문제는 무엇이 우리로 하여금 도덕법의 거룩함을 느끼게 할 수 있느냐 하는 것입니다. 우리가 의존하는 우리 자신의 존재의 기반 곧 거룩한 것 자체에 대한 비전만이 우리로 하여금 도덕법을 궁극적으로 심각하게 취급하도록 할 수 있다는 것을 역사가 보여 주었고 나의 개인적 경험이기도 합니다. 교사가 다만 교사로 말하는 것은 그가 신앙의 사람이 아닌 경우에는 무엇보다 먼저 반항을 초래합니다. 그리고 세뇌 공작이나 교화 작업이 반항을 깨뜨려 버린다면, 도덕적 명령은 불안이나 전통의 문제가 되어 버릴 도리밖에 없습니다. 세뇌 공작이나 교화 작업은 루터가 말한 ‘선을 사랑으로 행하는 것’과는 다릅니다. 유일하고 참된 도덕적 명령은 사랑의 원리뿐입니다. 사랑의 원리는 단순히 법이 무엇이라고만 가르침으로써 전달될 수 있는 것이 아닙니다.

Professor: Would you say then that this cannot be a mere intellectual experience? One has to have an existential, personal, inner experience?
교수: 그러면 이것은 지적 경험으로만은 불가능하다는 말씀입니까? 누구나 실존적, 개인적, 내적 경험을 가져야 한다는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: I would say, first of all, a total experience of the whole person must be involved, in which the emotional and will elements are implied as much as the intellectual. If the teacher is a priest he can achieve that, of course. I refer now to a priestly person, a reverent person, even if he is not a priest; the word "priest" to me means one who radiates the presence of the holy itself. And this is a matter of the whole person and his existential involvement. This, I believe, is possible only in the short run, not in the long run. In the short run everything is possible, even healing. But in the long run even Jesus’ healing was not sufficient; his followers all died. In the same way we must say that, in the long run, a state of emptiness takes place, and what to do with that state is another question. In my opinion, we can redeem it only through overarching religious symbols in which the holy itself is expressed.
This problem was recognized even by the Nazis. Hitler was very stupid intellectually, but, up to a certain point, also tremendously intuitive. His instinct failed him when special aspects of his character drove him to become the "great general," which he was not. He had a remarkable political sense and realized that an empty space existed in the whole German nation, and this empty space had to be filled. The symbol he used to accomplish it was "the German race." Hitler used this symbol, and the Communists came to power in a very similar fashion, offering to the minds of dissatisfied people a set of great symbols, with implications of an enormous amount of meaningful activity. And their emptiness was overcome. Finally, in this sense I would say that emptiness drives the human mind toward certain strong reactions, and if they are not creatively good ones they can become very evil indeed.

틸리히: 먼저 전 인력의 전체적 경험은 지성, 정서, 의지 등의 요소들을 균형 있게 내포해야 한다는 것입니다. 만일 교사가 승려라면, 물론 그는 이것을 성취할 수 있습니다. 승려라는 뜻은 비록 그가 승려가 아니라 할지라도 승려다운 인격, 존경할만한 인격을 말합니다. 원래 ‘승려’(priest)라는 말은 거룩한 것 자체의 현존을 방사하는 자를 의미한다고 생각됩니다. 따라서 이것은 전 인격과 그의 실존적 개입의 문제입니다. 이것이 단기적으로는 가능합니다만, 장기적으로는 그렇지 못합니다. 단기적으로 볼 때 심지어는 치병(治病)도 가능합니다. 그러나 장기적으로 볼 때 예수의 치병마저도 충분하지 못했습니다. 그러기에 그의 추종자들이 모두 죽었습니다. 이와 같이 결국에 가서는 공허한 상태가 발생하는데 그런 상태를 어떻게 처리하느냐 하는 것은 또 다른 문제입니다. 나의 견해로서는, 그것을 구원하는 유일의 길은 거룩한 것 자체를 표현하는 종교적 상징들을 그것과 연결시켜 주는 것이라고 봅니다.
나치스도 이 문제를 주지하였습니다. 히틀러가 지성적으로는 매우 우매하였지만, 어떤 점에 대해서는 대단히 직관적이었습니다. 그가 실패한 것은 그가 ‘위대한 장군’이 아님에도 불구하고 그렇게 되도록 몰아넣은 그의 충동 때문이었습니다. 그는 탁월한 정치의식을 가지고 전 독일 안에 공허한 공간이 존재함을 인식하였습니다. 이 공허한 공간은 메워져야만 했습니다. 그는 이 일을 수행하기 위하여 ‘독일 민족’(the Greman race)이라는 상징을 사용하였습니다. 히틀러는 이 상징을 사용하였고 공산주의자들도 거의 흡사한 방법으로 권력을 붙잡게 되었습니다. 즉 그들은 불만이 가득한 사람들에게 무수한 의미 있는 활동을 암시하는 훌륭한 상징들을 부여했습니다. 그리하여 그들의 공허성은 극복되었습니다. 이런 의미에서 마지막으로 말하고 싶은 것은, 공허성은 인간 정신을 어떤 강한 반작용애로 유독하며 그 반작용이 창조적 선(善)이 되지 못할 때 그것은 결국 극도로 약하게 되어 버린다는 것입니다.

Professor: In the long run, then, Dr. Tillich, schools and other secular institutions cannot by themselves continue to convey this heritage or "substance of the holy," and it is finally lost sight of. And we may call an institution a school, but the moment the symbols used prove adequate to convey the substance of the holy, or of an unconditional concern, then in a sense we have a church, since we are performing the same functions. However, what in the contemporary humanist world we call "school" does not in fact achieve this.
교수: 틸리히 박사님, 그러니까 종당에 가서는 학교들이나 다른 세속적 기관들이 ‘거룩의 본질’이나 또는 그러한 유산을 계속적으로 전달할 수 엇게 되고 따라서 그것은 실종되어 버린다는 것이지요. 우리가 사용하는 상징들이 거룩의 본질이라든가 무조건적 관심 같은 것을 적절하게 전달한다고 증명만 된다면, 이것은 교회와 동일한 기능을 수행하고 있다는 의미에서 우리는 교회를 가지고 있다는 것이지요. 그러나 현대의 인본주의적 세계에 있어서 소위 ‘학교’라는 것이 그런 것을 사실상 성취하지 못한다는 말씀이지요.

Dr. Tillich: You see, I have experienced both types of schools. When I was six years old, I entered a public school in eastern Germany which was a confessional school, completely Lutheran, as Germany was altogether. And there we had classes in religion for at least four hours a week. I learned the catechism; I learned the biblical stories; I learned the hymns. And I was a person for whom these symbols were more than adequate. They were received avidly by my subconscious and even by my consciousness, and they remained there. They have been alive there ever since. Then I went to the Gymnasium, which is a mixture of high school and college, and it was secular. Religion was either nonexistent or was studied in connection with philosophy. But my development was still determined by the earlier public school experience. Then I entered the university, where the teaching was also completely secular, and I became entirely free of any authoritarian religion. But I would say that, in those schools where religion was not taught, something was lacking.
Germany was still in the Bismarckian era, so something else was indoctrinated by teachers — a terrible nationalism. It was a Germanic nationalism, predecessor of Hitler’s. These schoolteachers were secular, but their secular emptiness was filled by their nationalism. And this was a wonderful soil for the distorted nationalism of Hitler. It did not have the expressive powerful symbols which Hitler — that was his genius — gave them. But it was there. Now the present danger is that if the public schools and the colleges and universities cannot communicate a meaning of life even in terms of the first concept of religion, of ultimate concern, then emptiness takes over. And very soon the emptiness begins to be filled with demonic things. Nationalism is demonic, of course, if it be comes "ultimate."
In Germany we were indoctrinated in the history classes, in the literature classes, in the philosophy classes, and everywhere with this kind of royal Prussian nationalism and the German nationalism growing out of a sense of inferiority. These two types were different and often in conflict. The Prussian had something of the old Kantian duty idea, and so it was better. But the imperial German concern was simply: How can we overcome all the other nations around us if they threaten us, or perhaps even if they don’t? Now this was the basis of our foreign policy, and there was hatred of England just because England was by far the most powerful of the European nations at that time. This hatred was indoctrinated in us, and for me it took much inner purging and a trip to England, and a love for the English people, to overcome that false indoctrination. Of course, France was the hereditary enemy. And it took my love for the French language, and then for French wines, to overcome this kind of indoctrination. It was not easy.

틸리히: 그렇지요. 나는 두 형태의 학교에 다닌 경험이 있습니다. 내가 여섯 살 때 동부 독일에 있는 공립학교에 입학하였습니다. 그 학교는 독일의 모든 학교가 그랬듯이 완전히 루터교의 교리를 따르는 학교였습니다. 거기서 나는 한 주일에 최소한도 네 시간의 종교 과목을 배웠습니다. 내가 거기서 배운 것은 교리, 성경 이야기, 찬송가 등입니다. 이 모든 상징들은 나의 구미에 맞았습니다. 나는 무의식적으로 또한 심지어는 의식적으로 그것들을 의욕 있게 받아들였으며 그 이후 그것들은 줄곧 내 속 깊이에 머물러 생동하고 있습니다. 나는 공립학교를 마치고 고등학교와 대학을 혼합한 ‘김나지움’에 입학하였습니다. 그 학교는 종교적이 아니라 세속적이었습니다. 거기에는 종교 과목이 아예 존재하지 않거나 또는 철학과 연결하여 배웠습니다. 그러나 나의 공립학교 시절의 경험이 나의 종교적 발전을 계속 북돋우어 주었습니다. 그 다음으로 나는 대학교에 들어갔는데 거기서도 역시 과정은 전적으로 세속적이었습니다. 그러나 내가 말하고 싶은 것은, 종교를 가르치지 않는 학교에서는 그 무엇이 결여되어 있었다는 것입니다.
그 때 독일은 아직도 비스마르크 시대에 처하여 있었는데 교사들이 가공할 만한 국가주의를 주입하고 있었습니다. 그것은 히틀러 국가주의의 전신인 독일적 국가주의였습니다. 학교 교사들은 모두 세속적이었고 그들의 세속적 공허성은 그들의 국가주의로 채워졌습니다. 이것이 히틀러의 왜곡된 국가주의가 자랄 수 있는 비옥한 토양이었습니다. 그것은 히틀러가 과시한 만큼-이것이 그가 수재임을 증명합니다만-인상적이고 힘 있는 상징들을 장악하고 있지는 못하였습니다만, 그것은 엄연한 국가주의였습니다. 여기서 오늘의 위험성을 들어본다면, 공립학교들, 대학들, 그리고 대학교들이 최소한 종교의 첫째 개념 곧 궁극적 관심을 전제로 삶의 의미를 전달할 수 없다면 당장에 공허성이 엄습하게 되며 따라서 그 공허성은 조만간에 악마적인 요인들로 채워지기 시작할 것입니다. 두말할 필요조차 없이 국가주의를 ‘궁극적인’것으로 삼을 때 그것은 악마적인 것이 됩니다.
독일에서 우리는 역사, 문학, 철학 등의 수업 시간 및 어느 곳에서나 위에서 언급한 프러시아적 국가주의와 열등의식에서 자라난 독일적 국가주의에 대하여 강제적으로 배우게 되었습니다. 이 두 형태는 서로 다르며 때로는 충돌마저 일으킵니다. 프러시아적 국가주의는 낡은 칸트주의적 의무 관념을 내포하기 때문에 훨씬 낫습니다. 그러나 제국적인 독일의 관심은 단순히 “만일 우리 주위에 있는 국가들이 우리를 위협한다면, 또는 설사 그렇지 않다고 할지라도, 우리가 어떻게 그들을 정복할 수 있을까?”하는 것이었습니다. 이것이 우리의 외교 정책의 근거였습니다. 따라서 영국이 그 당시에 유럽에서 최강의 국가라는 바로 그 이유를 들어 영국을 증오하였습니다. 이 증오가 우리에게 그대로 주입되었습니다. 나는 이 거짓된 세뇌를 극복하기 위하여 스스로 내적인 정화 작업을 시행하였고 영국에 여행하였으며 영국인을 사랑하기에 이르렀습니다. 물론 프랑스는 유전적으로 원수였습니다. 나는 이 세뇌를 극복하기 위하여 프랑스어와 그 다음에는 프랑스 포도주를 좋아하였습니다. 그렇게 하는 것이 결코 수월한 일은 아니었습니다.

Must Ultimate Concern Be Self-Conscious?
Student: I have a question which concerns people whom I think we have all met. Perhaps some would label them "ignorant," but this is not necessarily true. They just don’t ask questions about the meaning of life. They seem to be living fully in their own secular spheres. Now my question is: Can the ultimate be experienced without acknowledgment of it? If so, is there a point at which recognition and acknowledgment must come before the individual can grow to his full capacity?

궁극적 관심은 자아 의식적이어야만 하는가?
학생: 저는 우리 모두가 만난 적이 있으리라고 상정되는 사람들과 관계된 질문을 가지고 있습니다. 아마 어떤 이들을 그에게 ‘무식한 자들’이라는 딱지를 붙일지도 모르겠습니다. 그러나 그것이 반드시 옳은 것은 아닙니다. 그들은 다만 삶의 의미에 대하여 묻지 않을 따름입니다. 그들은 자기들의 세속적 영역 속에서 만족하게 살고 있는 듯싶습니다. 여기서 제가 묻고자 하는 질문은 곧 “궁극적인 것은 그것을 인식하지 않고서도 경험될 수 있는가? 만일 그렇다면 한 개인이 자기의 완전한 능력에까지 성장하기 이전에 인식에 이르게 하는 어떤 계기가 있는 것인가?”하는 것입니다.

Dr. Tillich: What is the word "it" here in your question? I did not understand.
틸리히: 학생의 질문 속에 ‘그것’이란 무엇을 말하는 것입니까? 나는 이해하지 못하였습니다.

Student: Can the ultimate be experienced without the acknowledgment of the ultimate?
학생: 궁극적인 것은 궁극적인 것을 인식하지 못하고도 경험 될 수 있는가하는 질문입니다.

Dr. Tillich: Oh! Without consciousness that we have an ultimate concern? Of course, and we can live like that. People do live under the moral imperative where the ultimate is implied, and do not know they are living under an ultimate concern; that happens all the time.
틸리히: 네, 알겠습니다. 우리가 어떤 궁극적 관심을 가졌다는 의식 없이도 말씀이지요? 물론입니다. 우리는 그러한 상태로 살아나갈 수 있습니다. 사람들은 궁극적인 것이 함축된 도덕적 명령 아래 살면서도 그들이 어떤 궁극적 관심 아래서 삶을 여우이하고 있음을 알지 못합니다. 이런 일은 항시 일어나고 있습니다.

Student: But it is necessary, in order to grow fully, that this be acknowledged?
학생: 그러나 완전히 성장하기 위해서는 그것을 인식하는 것이 필요하지 않습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now you see, all this, this growth, happens when conflicts arise. For instance, one "ultimate" concern is challenged by another potential one. And then one has to make a decision. Then these concerns rise into consciousness automatically. It is not effected by teachers or brought about by seminar discussion; it is very rare that something like that occurs. Growth develops through life experiences in which the ultimates change. Perhaps the ultimate was once actually the parents, or the mother — as in this country, or the father — as in Germany, and served as a divine-demonic ultimate. Later another ultimate, perhaps a loved one, girl or boy, liberates us from this. But then the question may arise: What is the ultimate meaning of my relationship to my parents or to marriage, and how are these conflicts to be solved? That is one example.
In terms of indoctrination with nationalism, when we go beyond national borders by reading or traveling — and traveling is especially feared by all Fascists — we encounter other realities. And then we may find ourselves in conflict with our indoctrination.
Or if we belong to a particular religion, and then find attraction in another religious form; a decision must be made. Or often we are torn by conflict of concrete duties. All these things awaken the consciousness, the awareness of an ultimate concern, because we have to decide what is really our ultimate. About what, or for what, do we commit our life, or inner life? It is good for these problems to become conscious, since we must then decide, and growth may consequently result.

틸리히: 이것 보세요, 성장이란 충돌이 일어날 때 가능한 것입니다. 예를 들면, 어떤 궁극적 관심이 다른 잠재적인 궁극적 관심에게 도전을 받는다고 합시다. 그 때 우리는 결단을 내려야 합니다. 그러면 이 두 관심은 자동적으로 의식의 표면에 부각됩니다. 그것이 교사들에 의하여 영향되거나 세미나의 토의를 통해서 초래되는 것도 아닙니다. 그런 경우는 극히 희박합니다. 성장은 궁극적인 것들이 뒤바뀌는 생활 경험을 통하여 발전하는 것입니다. 형편에 따라서는 궁극적인 것이 일시적으로 부모나, 이 나라에서처럼 어머니 또는 독일에서처럼 아버지가 됩니다. 그 후에 다른 궁극적인 것 곧 애인이 나타나 우리를 전자(前者)로부터 해방합니다. 그러나 다음과 같은 질문이 제가 될 수 있습니다. 즉 내가 나의 부모나 결혼에 관계된 궁극적 의미는 무엇이며 이 갈들을 어떻게 해결 지어야 할 것이냐 하는 것입니다. 이것이 하나의 실례이지요.
국가주의의 주입을 들어 생각하여 본다면, 우리가 독서나 여행으로 국경을 초월 할 때-모든 국수주의자들은 특히 여행을 두려워합니다만-과거에 몰랐던 실재에 부딪치게 되는 것입니다. 그렇게 되면 우리는 스스로 국가주의와의 갈들을 발견할 수도 있습니다.
또한 우리가 어떤 특정한 종교에 속하였다가 다른 종교 형태에 매력을 느끼게 되면 우리는 결단 할 수밖에 없습니다. 또한 우린 구체적인 의무들의 갈등으로 인해서 분열을 경험하는 경우가 있습니다. 이 모든 사실들은 궁극적 관심에 대한 의식 또는 각성을 불러 일으켜 줍니다. 그것은 우리가 우리에게 참으로 궁극적인 것이 무엇인지 결단하여야 하기 때문입니다. 우리가 무엇이 관하여 또는 무엇을 위하여 우리의 삶 또는 내적 생명을 바칠 것인가 하는 질문이 의식화되는 것은 매우 좋은 현상입니다. 그 다음에 우리는 결단을 내려야하고, 결과적으로 성장은 이루어질지도 모릅니다.

Student: Perhaps this question simply puts the same problem in another way. But would you say that this self-consciousness or awareness of ultimate concern interferes with any communion with God? Would it be better not to have this self-consciousness?
학생: 이 질문은 똑같은 문제를 다른 각도에서 취급하여 보는 것에 불과할지도 모르겠습니다. 아무튼 박사님께서는 궁극적 관심에 대한 자아의식이 하나님과의 교제에 저촉된다고 생각하십니까? 자아의식을 갖지 않는 편이 보다 낫겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: No. For if we are conscious of this concern, we can reject it. And if we do not have full freedom to reject it, we do not possess it in its full meaning, either. And therefore I would say that, even if this awakening involves disturbances for the immediate religious life of the child or adult, the risk must be taken in order to reach full humanity.
틸리히: 그렇지 않아요. 우리는 그 관심을 의식할 때에만 그것을 배제할 수 있습니다. 만일 우리에게 그것을 배제할 만한 충분한 자유가 없다면, 우리는 참다운 의미에서 그것을 소유하지도 못하고 있습니다. 그러므로 내가 말하고 싶은 사실은, 가령 이 각성이 아동이나 성인의 직접적인 종교 생활에 동요를 초래한다손 치더라도 완전한 인간성에 도달하기 위해서는 반드시 모험을 취해야 합니다.

Professor: Dr. Tillich, are you saying then that the snake was good for Eve and Adam?
교수: 틸리히 박사님, 그러시다면 뱀이 이브와 아담을 위해서 좋았다는 말씀입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Oh, certainly. I have praised the "tree of knowledge" of good and evil. Without this, man would always have remained in "dreaming innocence" or in a relationship to God where full humanity, the intended freedom for love, could never have developed. And therefore the Fall is, to quote Augustine, felix culpa, which means "happy guilt" — guilt that is necessary in order to actualize the potentialities which are in man. And I could even say symbolically that God "took a risk" with man, and later saw, when he brought the great flood over him, that this risk had resulted in failure. But it was not a complete failure. For there was Noah, and although God "repented" for having created man, he had joy in Noah. I mean that, despite human weaknesses, there is something in man that God did not want to destroy. Now, symbolically — if not taken literally — this is a very profound story. It is important for our present situation. God took a risk, and we must take a risk. He took a risk in permitting man to reach his full humanity, for only if we are able to say No to God can we really love him. If we do not have this possibility, then love is simply identity.
틸리히: 네, 그렇습니다. 나는 선과 악을 가르치는 ‘지식의 나무’에 대하여 찬사를 아끼지 않습니다. 그것이 없었던들 인간은 영원히 ‘몽중의 무죄성’(dreaming innocence) 또는 완전한 인간성 곧 사랑을 의도하는 자유가 발달할 수 없었던 신과의 관계에 머물러 있을 수밖에 없었을 것입니다. 그러므로 타락은 어거스틴의 말을 인용하면 felix culpa 곧 ‘행복한 범죄’(happy guilt)입니다. 다시 말하면, 그 범죄는 인간 속에 있는 잠재력들을 구혈하기 위하여 필요하다는 뜻입니다. 또한 나는 심지어 신이 인간에 대하여 모험을 취하셨는데 홍수를 계획하실 때 비로소 자기의 모험이 실패로 돌아갔음을 알았다고 상징적으로 묘사할 수도 있습니다. 그러나 그것은 회복하지 못할 실패는 아니었습니다. 노아(Noah)가 있었기 때문입니다. 비록 신은 인간을 창조한 것을 후회하였지만, 그는 노아에게서 기쁨을 찾았습니다. 즉 인간의 나약성에도 불구하고 신이 파괴하기를 원치 않는 어떤 요소가 인간 속에 존재한다는 말입니다. 문자적으로가 아니라 상징적인 의미에서 이것은 의미심장한 이야기입니다. 이 이야기는 우리의 현재 상황을 위해서 매우 중요한 것입니다. 신은 모험하였습니다. 따라서 우리도 모험해야 합니다. 그는 모험을 감행하여 우리로 하여금 완전한 인간성에 도달하도록 허락하였습니다. 그것은 우리가 신에게 “아니요”(No)라고 말할 수 있을 때에만 우리가 그를 진정으로 사랑할 수 있기 때문입니다. 만일 우리에게 이 가능성이 없다면, 사랑은 명목에 불과합니다.

Student: You spoke of spontaneity as an aspect of this freedom. Could you clarify this?
학생: 박사님은 자발성을 이 자유의 한 면이라고 말씀하셨는데 이것을 자세히 밝혀 주셨으면 합니다.

Dr. Tillich: I use the word spontaneity here for animals and plants, and probably even molecules; there is an element of spontaneity in their development, but I cannot describe this process fully. I learned the fact from biologists and neurologists. This participation in divine creativity by all creatures is the "risk" God took, and where he "anticipated" possible failure. And in that wonderful old story he repented that he had created man.
틸리히: 나는 여기서 자발성이라는 말을 동물, 식물, 그리고 아마도 미분자까지 포함한 사물에게 적용합니다. 그들의 발달 과정 속에 자발성의 요소가 있습니다만, 나는 그 과정을 충분히 묘사할 수 없습니다. 나는 그 사실을 생물학자들과 신경학자들에게서 배웠습니다.
이렇듯 모든 피조물들이 신의 창조성에 참여한다는 것이 신이 취함 ‘모험’이요, 거기서 그는 실패의 가능성을 ‘예상’하였습니다. 따라서 그는 인간을 창조한 사실을 후회하였다고 그 놀라운 옛 이야기는 말해주고 있습니다.

Student: You have said that the religious fulfillment of the human being involves a conscious awareness of an ultimate concern or of something infinite —
학생: 인간의 종교적 완성은 어떤 궁극적 관심에 대한 의식적인 자각을 내포하는 것이라고 박사님께서 말씀하셨는데요.

Dr. Tillich: Yes. You mean the full development or maturity as Paul speaks of it — "not milk but meat." "Up until now you have been fed only milk, but now you are mature and can have meat."
틸리히: 네, 완전한 발달 또는 성숙이란 말이지요. 바울은 그것을 “우유가 아니라 고기”라는 말로 표현하였습니다. 그는 “지금까지 여러분은 우유만을 마셨지만 지금은 성숙하였으므로 고기를 먹을 수 있습니다”고 하였습니다.

Student: Now if a man is, in a similar way, consciously aware of his ultimate concern with a finite subject matter, is he in the same sense mature? Can he be at peace with himself in the same way?
학생: 그런데 만일 어떤 사람이 자기의 궁극적 관심과 아울러 유한한 문제를 각각 근사한 비중으로 지각한다면, 그는 과연 성숙한 인간이겠습니까? 그는 마음이 평안할 수 있을 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Here we are dealing with two concepts of maturity. I would say that some mature people can be aware of such finite concerns and can continuously fight with the devil. The medieval religious pictures show this. Some saints had much more to do with demons than the ordinary man. So we can be mature in this sense, namely, conscious of the situation and nevertheless compelled to fight with demons, which always means our idolatry for finite things, finite tendencies in ourselves, or concern for finite objects. Then we can point to a level of maturity which perhaps we should not call maturity but "blessedness." Blessedness overcomes the inner conflicts, and can be only partially reached in this world. But we can have moments of it when we feel at peace with ourselves. For instance, after prayer for forgiveness this might sometimes happen, although usually not, even if we are quite mature. So we do well to distinguish these two stages: maturity, on the one hand, which means full consciousness and the actualizing of one’s freedom; and on the other, blessedness, in which the inner conflicts that are connected with freedom are solved, at least fragmentarily.
틸리히: 우리는 여기서 성숙의 두 가지 개념을 다루고 있는 듯합니다. 어떤 성숙한 사람들은 그러한 유한한 관심들을 의식한 나머지 계속적으로 그 악마와 투쟁할 수 있습니다. 중세기의 종교 회화(繪畵)는 이 사실을 보여 주고 있습니다. 개중의 어떤 성인들은 평범한 사람보다 악마와 더 많은 고투를 치르었습니다. 그러므로 우리는 우리가 처한 상황을 잘 의식하고, 뿐만 아니라 악마들 곧 유한한 사물이나 우리 안에 자리 잡고 있는 유한한 경향성들을 숭배하는 일 및 유한한 개체들에 대한 관심 등과 부단히 투쟁함으로써 성숙할 수 있습니다. 그렇게 되면 우리는 성숙이라고는 말하기 어려울지 몰라도 ‘축복’(blessedness)이라고 할 수 있는 성숙의 단계에 이르게 됩니다. 축복은 내적 갈등들을 극복하는데 그것은 이 세계에서 부분적으로밖에는 이루어질 수 없습니다. 그러나 우리는 자신과 더불어 화평할 때 축복의 순간들을 가져 볼 수 있습니다. 예를 든다면, 늘 그런 것은 아니지만, 성숙한 사람이 용서를 위해 기도드린 다음에 그와 같은 사실이 생길 수 있습니다. 그러므로 우리는 이 두 단계를 확실히 구분해야 합니다. 첫째는 성숙인데 이것은 자기의 자유에 대한 완전한 자각과 실현화를 뜻합니다. 둘째는 축복인데 자유와 결연된 내적 갈등들이 최소한도 단편적으로나마 그 속에서 해소되는 것입니다.

Student: I think we ask this question about ultimate concern because we think that if life has no meaning then it is not worth living. I would like to suggest that these are two separate questions. I insist that, although I see no ultimate meaning in life, it is certainly worth living.
학생: 우리가 궁극적 관심에 대하여 묻는 이유는, 만일 삶이 무의미하다면 그것은 살 만한 보람이 없다고 생각하기 때문이라고 느껴집니다. 저는 그 물음 속에 두 가지 다른 질문이 개재되어 있다고 보는데, 제가 여기서 강조하고 싶은 것은 설사 삶 속에 궁극적 의미가 없다손 치더라도 그것은 살 만한 보람이 있다는 것입니다.

Dr. Tillich: Now, I would say that if you don’t see an ultimate meaning, you cannot use the term "worth." What does this term mean? Worth is a value judgment, obviously. And it is measured by something. I mean by this statement that, measured by the inner potentiality of man, a life that does not take anything with ultimate seriousness is not worth living.
But the words "worth living" can also mean, as in your question, something different. It can mean: It is hard to live life, it is burdensome. This is a very interesting problem. Can people live happily who have decided that they have no ultimate concern, and simply live from day to day having as much fun as possible? If a bad time comes — too bad! But they go on, for next time may be good. Now such an attitude could not apply, for instance, to the innumerable human beings in situations where "having fun" is no longer possible. Consider the millions of people who suffered in concentration camps. In those places the idea of having a good time continuously simply could not exist. Yet I know some who escaped after many years and who retained a meaning for their lives. The temptation was to just lie down and die. But there were some who resisted even this temptation. Some, of course, were indirectly killed by the Nazis. But this indirect killing was not always successful; there were strong people who survived and who are now very important people in the society in which they live. And we can apply this principle to the inmates of prisons, and to others all over the world who are in a similar situation. For them, the "have fun" syndrome does not work.
Then the final question remains: Does it work at all? Or are there moments in which even those who have the external opportunity for this have-a-good-time philosophy feel how empty it all is, how meaningless it becomes afterwards? It seems very enticing as long as we do not have the opportunity. But after a certain time, when we do have it, it loses its power. The problem of ultimacy arises out of this.

틸리히: 그렇지만 만일 학생이 궁극적 의미를 찾지 못한다면, 보람(worth)이라는 말을 사용할 수 없다고 생각합니다. 도대체 그 말이 무엇을 뜻하는 것입니까? 보람이란 분명히 가치 판단입니다. 따라서 그것은 어떤 사실에 의하여 측정됩니다. 이 말은 곧 우리가 삶이라는 것을 인간의 내적 잠재력에 의하여 측정하여 볼 때 그것이 어떤 사실이 나를 막론하고 궁극적으로 심각하게 취급되지 않는다면 그것은 결국 살 만한 보람이 없다는 뜻입니다.
그러나 학생의 질문에 나타난 바와 같이, ‘살 만한 보람’(worth living)이라는 말은 별개의 사실을 의미할 수도 있습니다. 그 삶의 산다는 것은 고역이요 괴로운 일이라는 뜻도 될 수 있습니다. 이것은 흥미 있는 문제입니다. 자기들은 궁극적 관심을 갖지 않는다고 결단한 사람들이 행복하게 살거나 또는 될 수 있는대로 재미 많이 보면서 매일 같이 그럭저럭 살 수 있습니까? 만일 불우한 때가 닥치면 보기에 딱하겠지요. 그러나 내일은 좀 나아지겠지 이렇게 기대를 걸고 그들은 살아 갈 것입니다. 그러나 그러한 태도는 ‘재미를 본다’(having fun)는 것이 전혀 불가능한 상황들 속에 존재하는 무수한 인간들에게는 아무런 관계도 없습니다. 집단 수용소에서 갖은 고통을 겪은 수백만의 사람들을 생각해보세요. 그러한 장소에서는 행복한 시간을 계속적으로 가진다는 생각이 있을 수가 없었습니다. 그러나 수 년 후에 수용소에서 탈출한 사람들 가운데 아직도 삶의 의미를 보존하고 있는 이들을 나는 알고 있습니다. 그 곳에서 받기 쉬운 유혹은 그저 쓰러져서 죽어버리려는 것이었습니다. 그러나 이 유속마저 항거한 사람들이 있습니다. 물론 더러는 나치에게 간접적으로 살해당하였습니다. 하지만 이 간접적인 살해도 반드시 성공한 것은 아니었습니다. 생존자들 중에는 강한 사람들이 있었고 그들은 오늘날 자기들의 사회에서 매우 중요한 인물들이 되었습니다. 우리는 이 원리를 형무소의 수감자들, 그리고 이와 흡사한 상황에 처해 있는 세계 도처의 사람들에게 적용시켜 불 수 있습니다. 그들에게는 ‘재미 본다’는 말이 해당되지 않습니다.
그러면 마지막 질문이 나서게 되는데 즉 “도대체 재미를 본다는 것이 제대로 될 것인가? 그렇지 않으면 ‘좋은 시간을 가지는 철학’(have-a-good-time philosophy)을 위한 외부적 기회를 얻은 자들도 그것이 얼마나 공허하다는 것, 그것이 차후에 얼마나 무의미하게 된다는 것을 절감할 순간이 있는가?”하는 것입니다. 우리가 지금 그 기회를 가지고 있지 않는 한, 그것은 매우 유혹적입니다. 그러나 우리가 그것을 소유한 지 얼마 되지 않아 그것은 힘을 잃어버립니다. 여기서부터 궁극의 문제가 야기되는 것입니다.

NOTES:
1. Werner Keller, The Bible as History (New York: William Morrow, 1956).

hi
이전글  다음글  목록 글쓰기

츲ҺڻȰ ⵵ ȸ ѱ⵶ȸȸȸ ()ظ ѽŴѵȸ μȸڿȸ ȸ б ѽŴб ûȸȸ ŵȸ ŵȸ ȸÿ ѱ⵶ȸȸͽп