:: 한국기독교장로회총회 ::

폴 틸리히 / 궁극적 관심 Ultimate Concern 9) Eighth Dialogue 여덟번째 대화(원문/번역)

이준원 (충북노회,우암교회,목사) 2013-11-01 (금) 09:19 10년전 6782  

Eighth Dialogue
여덟째 대화

Professor: I have talked with the members of the seminar and we have agreed that in this last meeting, which is our final opportunity to pursue questions with Dr. Tillich, we need to keep the discussion as relevant as possible. They have asked me if I would present the major questions that remain important to them after all our previous meetings.
The first and rather startling question is: "Dr. Tillich, are you not a dangerous man?"

교수 : 저는 세미나에 참석한 여러분들과 의논한 결과 틸리히 박사님과 마지막으로 문제를 추구하는 이 시간에 우리가 가능한 한 토의를 타당성 있게 진행할 필요가 있다는 합의에 도달하였습니다. 그들은 이미 여러 시간 토의하였지만 아직도 취급하지 못한 중요한 문제들을 저더러 제시해 주기를 간청하였습니다.
첫째의 그리고 차라리 깜짝 놀라게 하는 질문은 곧 틸리히 박사님, 당신은 위험한 인물이 아닙니까?”라는 것입니다.

Is Paul Tillich a Dangerous Man?
폴 틸리히는 위험한 인물인가?

Dr. Tillich: Yes.
틸리히 : 그렇습니다.

Professor: You are not supposed to comment yet! This is only the first sentence. It is a sincere question from one student. Are you not a dangerous man? You make paradoxical statements which weaken people’s confidence in symbols and liturgies and churches. And you tend to destroy their belief, without giving them anything to replace it. Now you are the most influential theologian of the twentieth century, but are you not primarily an apostle to the intellectuals, speaking in their language? When you broadcast your concepts, do you not harm those people who are unable to comprehend, and will only misapply your ideas?
I cannot resist the temptation here to anticipate Dr. Tillich’s reply. I believe that he would agree that he is dangerous, in the sense that honest or courageous statements may involve danger to some. Theologians and thinkers, back to biblical times, have had this same problem. Can you think of one who had any significant influence, who was not misunderstood, or who did not inadvertently cause some suffering and dismay?
The real danger to individuals, he might say, is not so much loss of belief, but the danger that beliefs will lose the power which alone gives them symbolic meaning. So that when you criticize a person for "destroying faith," it may be beside the point, since the real danger is that the beliefs involved are losing their power anyway and becoming empty. Then it’s important for someone to show a way in which valid faith can be restored. It is to prevent the emptiness, to preserve religion in the broad sense from secularization, that Dr. Tillich takes the calculated risk of criticizing. Now let us permit him to speak in his own defense.

교수 : 박사님께서 아직 코멘트하시지 않으셔도 좋습니다. 이것은 첫 문장에 불과하니까요. 그것은 한 학생이 던진 진실한 질문입니다. 당신은 위험한 인물이 아닙니까? 당신은 역설적인 표현을 만들어서 상징과 의식과 교회에 대하여 사람들이 가지고 있는 확신을 약화시킵니다. 더욱이 당신은 그들의 신앙을 파괴하려고 들면서 그것을 대치할 만한 것을 그들에게 제시하지 않습니다. 그런데 당신은 20세기에 가장 영향력이 큰 신학자입니다마는, 당신은 무엇보다 먼저 지성인들의 사도요 그들의 언어로 말씀하고 계시지 않습니까? 당신은 당신의 개념들을 언급하실 때 그것들을 이해하지 못하거나 또는 오용할 수 밖에 없는 사람들에게는 해독을 끼치고 있지나 않습니까?
저는 여기서 틸리히 박사님의 답변을 예상해 보고 싶은 유혹을 억제할 수 없습니다. 그는 자신의 솔직하고 용기 있는 표현이 어떤 이들에게는 위험하다는 의미에서 스스로 위험한 인물임을 자인하시리라고 저는 믿습니다. 우리가 성서 시대로 돌아가 볼 때 신학자들과 사상가들은 이와 꼭 같은 문제에 부딪혔습니다. 여러분은 중대한 영향을 끼친 사람으로서 오해 받지 않았거나 또는 고통과 낙담을 겪지 않은 사람을 생각해 낼 수 있습니까?
그는 다음과 같이 말씀할지도 모릅니다. 즉 개인들에게 가장 심각한 위험은 신앙의 상실이 아니라 신앙이 그 자체에게 상징적 의미를 부여하는 유일한 힘을 상실한다는 것입니다. 그러므로 여러분이 신앙을 파괴하는 것때문에 어떤 사람을 비판한다면, 그것은 요점에서 벗어난 것입니다. 왜냐하면 가장 심각한 위험성은, 어쨌든 신앙이 그 자체를 지탱하는 힘을 상실하고 공허해 질 것이기 때문입니다. 그렇게 되면 어떤 누가 타당한 신앙이 회복될 수 있는 길을 제시하는 것이 무엇보다 중요합니다. 틸리히 박사께서 비판하는 일에 있어서 타산적 모험을 감행하는 것은 공허성을 예방하고 넓은 의미의 종교를 세속화로부터 보존하려는 데 있습니다.

Dr. Tillich: By far the most influential theologian up to now, up to 1963 in this century, is Karl Barth. He really made church history in his fight against Nazism and his construction of a special type of liberal theology. Karl Barth spoke in a very particular situation to a very particular group of people. He spoke to those who, in themselves, were attached to the church and who stood, as theologians or laymen, on the boundary line of a liberalism which might finally have led to so-called Germanic Christianity. And he saved Christianity from this pitfall. This is his achievement in church history and his greatness. I refer not only to German theology but to the European churches who had to fight against similar attempts during the Nazi period, and Barth saved them. But then the people who fought under his leadership in the struggle against Nazism, and often became martyrs in the fight, were victorious at the end of the war and became the leading persons in German and other Protestant churches — in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, and elsewhere.
And something happened. The so-called intelligentsia — the people who cannot escape the sad destiny of having to think — was left alone. These people were left in a desert, and they were conscious of this all the time. The result was a continuing secularization which, after the heat of the fight with Nazism, occurred again in Germany and in Europe. So we have now a large group of people whom I would prefer to call the "thinking and doubting people" in respect to the Christian tradition. There are thinking people who do not doubt, although I cannot imagine how this is possible; but there are also many thinking people who do doubt and even more of them who have doubted but do so no longer. They have simply rejected Christianity and every other religion. This is the actual situation.
Now who speaks for them? This was the concern of Bultmann when he wrote his famous article on the demythologization of the New Testament.1 He wanted to protect persons who accept the Christ from having also to accept the world view of the people who lived when Jesus was born — the three-level pre-Copernican world, with divine beings on one level and man on another, and demonic beings on still another. This concept belongs partly to the Greek world view and partly to the mythological language of the New Testament, which is good and has to be used, in my opinion. But if this language is to be used, it has to be understood. Bultmann is even more radical; he does not want to use it at all, and in my talks with him I have insisted that we cannot get rid of the symbols and myths but must interpret them in a nonliteralistic way. Otherwise, of course, they would be meaningless for all time.
I presuppose in my theological thinking the entire history of Christian thought up until now, and I consider the attitude of those people who are in doubt or estrangement or opposition to everything ecclesiastical and religious, including Christianity. And I have to speak to them. My work is with those who ask questions and for them I am here. For the others, who do not, I have the great problem of tact. Of course, I cannot avoid speaking to them because of a fear of becoming a stumbling block for primitive believers. When I am preaching a sermon — and then I am quite aware of what I’m doing — I speak to people who are unshaken in their beliefs and in their acceptance of symbols, in a language which will not undermine their belief. And to those who are actually in a situation of doubt and are even being torn to pieces by it, I hope to speak in such a way that the reasons for their doubts and other stumbling blocks are taken away. On this basis I speak also to a third group, one which has gone through these two stages and is now able again to hear the full power of the message, freed from old difficulties. I can speak to those people, and they are able to understand me, even when I use the old symbols, because they know that I do not mean them in a literal sense.
I have answered this question very often, as it is raised by ministers. Another way to solve such problems would be discussion groups for church congregations in the evenings led by a minister not connected with the liturgical procedures. Liturgies have an atmosphere of holiness which is necessary and good and very important for a devotional service. But such an atmosphere is not so appropriate for a discussion. The intellect is also a God-given function, and I resent it very much when somebody accuses the theologian of sin when he thinks. This is his job. He is not a nurse, although he may have to become one in some moments. His business is a very well-defined business: namely, to think, although he cannot of course think about these things without being in the "circle," as I call it in my Systematic Theology — the theological circle. He must stand in the atmosphere of the religious reality in which he speaks, but this does not mean that he should be forbidden to speculate. The word "speculate" has become a word of contempt, although it means to look carefully at something — speculari in Latin. It does not mean flying up and over the clouds. It means looking care fully at the structure of reality. And in this sense I am willing to speculate. The problem of the danger of thinking and of criticizing beliefs you have stated so well that I do not need to repeat it.
The really dangerous people have been the great critics since the Enlightenment, and especially in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. They could be called dangerous. But what I do is something quite different. After these dangerous people, these courageous people, have done their job and have undercut and destroyed the primitivism of religious literalism, I try to recreate the old realities on another basis. Now many people are not as far along in their own development as the whole historical situation of theology is. They remain still in the post-Reformation period of fundamentalist thought. The "word of God" is just what orthodox theologians of the year 1620 wrote. They think that this is the word of God for all times, although actually it is only the word of the theologians of the year 1620, in Germany and in Holland mostly — only that.
So to speak to those who have questions and are "in the situation," and also, at the same time, to others who are often two or more hundred years behind in their understanding and knowledge of the religious and theological situation is certainly dangerous. But if we think of this whole thing as waves on a river we simply try to determine what we can do — what Barth did in his way, what I do in my way, and what Bultmann and Reinhold Niebuhr have done. We take it for granted that most of our listeners understand the whole development of liberal theology; for that development has now been completed; we do not explore it publicly any more. We presuppose it, and on this presupposition we try to be constructive. Now the "danger" of doing this was pointed out once by my friend Nels Ferre, who wrote about it and has been quoted hundreds of times since then. Nevertheless we remain good friends. And that’s my answer to your question.

틸리히 : 20세기에 들어와서 1963년에 이르기까지 가장 크게 영향을 끼친 신학자는 칼 바르트입니다. 그는 나치즘과의 투쟁에서 교회 역사를 새롭게 창조하고 특수한 형태의 자유 신학을 구축하였습니다. 칼 바르트는 독특한 상황 속에서 독특한 집단에 속한 사람들에게 말하였습니다. 그의 대상은 교회에 속하여 있는 사람들과 신학자나 또는 평신도로서 그들은 종당에 소위 독일적 기독교(Germanic Christianity)로 탈락될지도 모를 자유주의의 경계선에 서 있는 사람들이었습니다. 그는 드디어 기독교를 이 위기에서 건져냈습니다. 이것이 교회사상의 그의 업적이요 위대성입니다. 나는 독일 신학만이 아니라 나치 시대에 위험한 시도에 대항하여 싸운 유럽 교회를 포함하여 말하고 있는 것입니다. 그의 영도하에 나치즘과 치열하게 투쟁한 사람들, 그리고 투쟁에서 순교한 사람들은 전쟁이 끝나자 승리의 개가를 올렸고 독일을 포함한 스웨덴, 노르웨이, 덴마크, 네덜란드, 그 밖에 있는 교회에서 지도적 인물들이 되었습니다.
그런데 어떤 사태가 벌어졌습니다. 소위 지성인들-사고할 수 밖에 없는 슬픈 운명을 도피할 수 없는 사람들-은 내버려진 채 있었습니다. 그들은 사막 가운데 내버려져 있었고 그들은 언제나 이 사실을 의식하고 있었습니다. 그 결과는 나치즘과의 열전의 종식과 더불어 독일과 유럽에서 다시 야기된 계속적인 세속화입니다. 지금 그들은 큰 집단을 형성하고 있는데 나는 그들을 기독교 전통에 대하여 사고하고 회의하는 사람이라고 부릅니다. 그것이 어느 정도 가능할지 상상하기 어렵습니다마는 회의하지 않고 사고하는 사람들이 있습니다. 그러나 많은 사람들은 회의하면서 사고하고, 심지어는 회의하다가 이제는 그것마저 그쳐 버린 사람들이 더 많습니다. 그들은 기독교와 다른 모든 종교를 단순히 배격해 버립니다. 이것이 현재의 상황입니다.
그러면 누가 그들을 위해 말할 것입니까? 이것이 바로 불트만이 신약성서의 비신화화(非神話化)에 관한 그의 유명한 논문을 쓸 때 가졌던 관심이었습니다. 그는 사람들이 그리스도를 받아들이지만 예수가 탄생할 당시 사람들의 세계관-3차원적인 코페르니쿠스 이전의 세계관으로서 신적 존재들, 인간, 악마적 존재들이 각기 다른 차원에 속해 있다는 것-은 받아들이지 않아도 된다고 주장하였습니다. 이 개념은 희랍적 세계관에 일부, 그리고 신약성서의 신화론적 언어에 일부 종속되어 있습니다. 나의 견해로서는 그 신화적 언어는 훌륭하므로 사용되어야 할 것 같습니다. 그러나 그 언어가 사용되려면 먼저 이해가 선행되어야 합니다. 여기서 불트만은 한층 더 급진적인 입장을 취하면서 그 언어를 전적으로 사용하기를 원하지 않습니다. 나는 그와 개인적으로 환담하는 기회에서 한 가지 강조한 사실이 있는데 그것은 곧 우리가 상징과 신화를 제거해 버릴 수 없기 때문에 그것들을 비문자주의적(非文字主義的) 방법으로 해석해야 한다는 것이었습니다. 그렇게 하지 않으면 그들은 물론 언제나 무의미할 것입니다.
나는 나의 신학적 사색에 있어서 오늘에 이르는 기독교 사상사 전반을 전제로 합니다. 그러므로 기독교를 포함한 어떠한 교회적 및 종교적인 것에도 회의하고 소외되고 반대하는 사람들의 태도를 고려에 넣습니다. 나는 그들을 향해 말해야 할 의무 같은 것을 느낍니다. 나는 질문하는 저들과 함께 일합니다. 따라서 나는 그들을 위해 여기에 존재합니다. 문제가 없는 사람들에게 말하려면 나는 재치의 문제에 크게 걸려듭니다. 물론 나는 그들이 초보적 신앙인들이므로 그들에게 걸리는 돌이 된다는 두려움 때문에 말하기를 회피할 수는 없습니다. 나는 설교할 때 그 때 나는 무엇을 하고 있는지 십분 지각하고 있는데 자기들이 신앙에 있어서나 상징을 받아들임에 있어서 확고부동하게 서 있는 사람들에게 그들의 신앙을 손상하지 않을 언어로 말합니다. 그리고 사실상 회의의 도가니 속에 빠졌거나 심지어는 회의로 인해서 산산이 부서져 나가고 있는 이들에게는 회의나 그 밖의 장애물들을 초래한 이유들이 제거되는 방법으로 말합니다. 이와 같은 근거에서 나는 또한 셋째 그룹에게 말합니다. 그들은 이미 위에서 언급한 두 단계를 지나서 낡은 문제에서 탈피하였기 때문에 메시지의 내용을 유감 없이 경청할수 있습니다. 그들은 내가 비록 낡은 상징을 사용한다 해도 내 말을 잘 이해할 수 있습니다. 그것은 내가 그것들을 문자적 의미로 뜻하는 것이 아님을 그들은 알기 때문입니다.
목사들이 이 문제를 제기할 때마다 내가 대답한 경우가 상당히 많습니다. 이러한 문제를 해결할 또 하나의 방법은 목사가 저녁시간에 의식적인 절차를 밟지 아니하는 토의 그룹을 인도하는 것이라고 생각됩니다. 의식은 거룩한 분위기를 조성하며 그것은 예배를 위해 반드시 필요한 동시에 중요합니다. 그러나 그러한 분위기가 토의를 위해 적합한 것은 아닙니다. 지성은 하나님이 주신 기능이기도 합니다. 그래서 어떤 사람이 신학자가 사색하는 데 대하여 비난할 때 나는 극도로 분개합니다. 사색하는 것은 그의 직업입니다. 그는 어떤 계기에 간호원이 되어야 할 때도 있을지 모르나 그는 본질상 간호원이 아닙니다. 그의 직업은 확실하게 규정되어 있는 직업입니다. 즉 내가 조직 신학에서 호칭하는 바와 같이 서클’(circle) 곧 신학적 서클에 가담하지 않고서는 사색할 수 없지만, 여하간 그의 직업은 사색하는 것이라고 판에 박혀 있는 것과 다름 없습니다. 그는 자기가 언급하는 종교적 실재의 분위기 안에 서 있어야 하지만, 그렇다고 하여 그의 현재의 입장이 그의 사색을 금지시킴을 뜻하는 것은 아닙니다. ‘사색한다’(speculate)는 말은 본래 라틴어의 speculari에서 유래된 것으로서 어떤 사실을 주의 깊게 주목한다는 의미였는데, 그 말이 멸시하는 말로 변전되었습니다. 사색은 구름 위로 날아 올라감을 뜻하지 않습니다. 그것은 실재의 구조를 주의 깊게 주목하는 것입니다. 이런 의미에서 나는 사색하기를 원망하고 있습니다. 신앙을 사색하고 비판하는 데서 초래되는 위험성의 문제에 관하여는 교수님께서 자세하게 말씀하셨기 때문에 내가 다시 반복할 필요가 없다고 봅니다.
실제로 위험한 사람들은 계몽주의 시대 이후 그리고 특히 18세기 및 19세기에 있었던 위대한 비평가들이었습니다. 그들은 위험스럽다고 낙인을 찍힐 만한 충분한 이유가 있습니다. 그러나 내가 하는 일은 그들이 한 것과 전혀 다른 것입니다. 이 위험스럽기도 하고 또한 용감하기도 한 사람들이 자기들의 과업을 수행하고 종교적 자유주의의 미성숙한 면을 파괴한 후에 나는 이 낡은 실재들을 새로운 근거 위에 재창조하고자 시도합니다. 그러나 아직도 많은 사람들이 신학의 역사적 상황 전체와 마찬가지로 미성숙한 점을 면하지 못하고 있습니다. 그들은 여전히 종교 개혁 시대 이후의 근본주의 사상의 노예가 되어 있습니다.
하나님의 말씀’(word of God)이라는 술어는 1620년의 정통주의 신학자가 기록하였던 것과 조금도 다른 것이 없습니다. 그들은 그것이 모든 시대를 위한 하나님의 말씀이라고 생각하였습니다. 그러나 사실상 그것은 1620년에 대개 독일과 네덜란드에 있었던 신학자들의 말에 불과했습니다.
그러므로 질문을 가지고 또한 어떤 상황 속에 깊이 개입한 사람들과 종교적 및 신학적 상황에 대한 이해와 지식에 있어서 200년 이상 뒤떨어진 사람들에게 동시적으로 말한다는 사실은 참으로 위험천만한 일입니다. 그렇지만 우리가 이 모든 일들을 마치 강의 물결처럼 생각한다면, 바르트, 그리고 저 자신, 불트만과 라인홀드 니버가 각자의 나름대로 어떤 일을 치른 것과 꼭 같이 우리도 할 수 있는 일을 부담없이 결단해 볼 수 있습니다. 우리는 우리의 청취자 가운데 대부분이 자유 신학의 발전 전체를 이해하고 있는 것으로 간주합니다. 그것은 그 발전이 이미 완결되었기 때문입니다. 따라서 우리는 그것을 이 이상 공개적으로 탐구하려 들지 않습니다. 우리는 그것을 전제합니다. 이 전제 위에서 우리는 무엇을 건설해 보고자 합니다. 나의 친구 넬스 페레(Nels Ferre)는 그렇게 함으로써 오는 위험성을 지적하였는데 그 이후 그의 말은 수백 회 인용되었습니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 우리는 아직도 서로 절친한 친구입니다. 이상이 교수님의 질문에 대한 저의 대답입니다.

"Apostle to the Intellectual"
지성인을 위한 사도

Professor: Then to sum up: You would accept the designation of "dangerous"; you would accept the designation of apostle to the intellectual.
교수 : 요약해서 말씀 드리자면, 박사님께서는 위험스러운이라는 칭호를 수락하시고 따라서 지성인을 위한 사도라는 칭호도 수락하신다는 말씀이겠지요.

Dr. Tillich: Now that is much too high an estimate, but I am interested in the situation of the intellectuals, and I am trying to interpret the Christian message in a new way to them.
틸리히 : 그 칭호는 너무나 과분한 평가의 결과인 듯합니다만, 여하간 나는 지성인들의 상황에 깊은 관심을 두고 저들에게 기독교의 메시지를 새로운 방법으로 해석하고자 시도하고 있습니다.

Professor: Then if you had a group of those who accepted the symbols literally, you would speak to them in that language if possible. But since it is not possible always to speak only to those who are in one category or another, it is inevitable that those who accept Christianity in a fundamentalist and literal sense will hear and misunderstand a part of what is being said?
교수 : 만일 박사님께서 상징을 문자적으로 받아들이는 사람들의 집단을 대하신다면, 가능한 한 그런 언어로 말씀하실 것입니다. 그러나 항시 일정한 범주에 속한 사람들에게만 말한다는 것은 불가능하니만큼 기독교를 근본주의적으로 또한 문자주의적으로 받아들이는 사람들은 말을 듣고 부분적으로 오해하게 되는 것이 불가피하다고 봅니다.

Dr. Tillich: Yes. Now this is really the problem of preaching. I believe that it would be hard for you to find in my sermons any directly negative statements, even against literalism. I simply restrain myself in that situation. For instance, the resurrection stories: I do not criticize in my sermons the highly poetic symbolic story of the empty tomb, although I would do so in my theology and have done it in my books. But I speak of what happened to Paul and the other apostles, as Paul describes it in I Corinthians 15. Now that is a preaching method I would recommend for all sermons.
틸리히 : 그렇습니다. 그것이 바로 설교의 문제이기도 합니다. 모르기는 하지만, 교수님 자신이 나의 설교들 가운데서 심지어는 문자주의에 대하여 직접적으로 부정적인 진술을 가한 사실을 찾아내기 어려우리라고 나는 믿습니다. 그런 상황에 처하게 될 때 나는 자신을 견제합니다. 부활에 관한 이야기들을 예로 들어 볼 수 있지요. 즉 나는 신학 서적 가운데서는 빈 무덤의 최고의 시적 및 상징적 이야기를 비판합니다마는, 설교에서는 그리 하지 않습니다. 나는 다만 바울이 고린도전서 15장에서 기술한 바와 같이 바울과 다른 사도들에게 어떤 일이 일어났는지에 대하여 말합니다.

Student: Dr. Tillich, this problem didn’t occur to me until now, but since you’ve mentioned it, I don’t see how you could talk to a group of people who took the symbolism of the Bible literally without becoming concerned over the idolatry that is expressed in their literal interpretations.
학생 : 틸리히 박사님, 저는 그 문제에 처음으로 부딪히게 됩니다. 제가 이해할 수 없는 사실은, 성서의 상징주의를 문자적으로 받아들이는 사람들에게 이야기할 때 어떻게 그들의 문자적 해석에 표현되는 우상에 대하여 무관심할 수 있겠는가 하는 것입니다.

Dr. Tillich: You are right. My answer is very simple: if they ask, I answer. If they do not ask, and I am expected to give aid and comfort in some situation in life, as at funerals, then there are those great words of Paul, I Corinthians 15.2 In such moments the question of literalism or nonliteralism does not exist, for we have the power of the word. But sometimes a group of people who are still in the literalistic attitude begin to ask. Children especially are always asking very profound religious questions. I have often told this story of my daughter when she was six years old. We were walking through an Alpine meadow, and suddenly she asked, "Why is all this so? Here is the meadow, there the trees and there the mountain. Why isn’t it all different?" Now that is an expression of transcosmological argument, in a primitive way, but as deep as Kant himself. Only Kant could state it conceptually, and my daughter was expressing her first shock of "Why is that so and not different?" Which is only one side of the more fundamental question: Why is there something? Why is there not nothing? Why is it this way and not another way? This kind of questioning by children comes very early. I always answer them; I talk with children on the level they can understand, but I would never hide anything. The worst thing, and I censure them sincerely, is the reply of some Sunday-school teachers, when children ask questions: "You must not ask, you must believe." My reaction to that is very barbaric: I would say, "Throw those teachers out tomorrow morning! Forever!"
틸리히 : 학생의 말이 옳습니다. 나의 대답은 매우 간단하지요. 즉 그들이 질문하면 나는 대답합니다. 만일 그들이 질문하지 않거나 또는 장례식과 같은 삶의 어떤 상황에서 나에게 도움과 위로를 주도록 기대한다면, 고린도전서 15장에 있는 바울의 위대한 표현을 빌릴 수 있습니다. 그러한 순간에는 문자주의나 비문자주의의 문제가 제기되지 않습니다. 그 말에 힘이 있기 때문입니다. 그러나 어떤 때는 아직도 문자주의적 태도를 고수하고 있는 사람들의 집단이 질문하기 시작합니다. 특히 어린이들은 항시 심오한 종교적 질문들을 던집니다. 나는 나의 딸이 여섯 살 때 있었던 일을 이야기하는 적이 많습니다. 그 애와 내가 엘파인 목장을 거닐고 있었는데 갑작스럽게 그 애는 다음과 같이 물었습니다. “왜 이 모든 것이 이렇게 있어요? 여기는 목장이 있고 저기는 나무들과 산이 있지 않아요? 왜 이 모든 것이 다르게 있지 아요?” 이 질문은 비록 초우주론적 논쟁이 유치한 방법으로 표현된 것이지만, 칸트 자신만큼이나 깊은 데가 있습니다. 다만 칸트는 이것을 개념적으로 서술할 수 있었을 따름이고 내 딸은 왜 그것은 그 모양대로 있고 다르게 있지 않느냐?”하는 것에 대한 자기의 첫 충격을 표현하고 있었습니다. 이것은 보다 근본적인 질문의 한 면에 불과합니다. 즉 왜 있는 것(something)은 있는가? 왜 없는 것(nothing)은 없는가? 왜 그것은 이런 모양으로 존재하고 저런 모양으로는 존재하지 않는가? 어린이들은 이와 같은 종류의 물음을 매우 일찍부터 합니다. 나는 그들에게 반드시 대답합니다. 그들이 이해할 수 있는 수준에서 나는 그들에게 이야기합니다. 그러나 나는 어떤 것을 감추고 말하지 않는 경우는 없습니다. 나의 비난의 대상이기도 하고 또한 가장 나쁘다고 생각되는 것은 어린이들이 질문할 때 너는 질문해서는 안돼 . 너는 믿어야 해라고 어떤 주일학교 선생들이 대답하는 것입니다. 이 대답에 대하여 나는 극도로 야만적인 반발을 토로합니다. 그런 선생들을 내일 아침 영원히 밖으로 내던져라!”고 나는 말하고 싶습니다.

Monasticism and the Priesthood
수도원 제도와 성직

Professor: Now for the second question: Do you not underestimate the real problem of religious seeking and perfection? Intellectual analysis is important, but in the end a great deal of discipline is necessary. Whether in a monastic life or by way of church participation or mystical contemplation or devoted service to mankind, total commitment is essential, not just — well, we won’t use "speculation" again — not just thinking.
교수 : 둘째 질문은 박사님께서 종교적 탐구와 완전에 관한 문제를 과소평가하시지 않나 하는 것입니다. 지성적 분석이 중요하기는 하지만 종당에는 상당한 훈련이 필요하다고 봅니다. 수도원 생활, 교회 참여, 신비적 명상, 인류에 대한 헌신적 봉사 등 그 어느 것을 막론하고 전적 위탁(commitment)이 긴요하지 않은 데가 없으니만큼 생각하는 것만으로는 -‘사색이라는 말을 다시 사용할 필요는 없겠습니다마는 어딘가 부족한 듯 싶습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Yes, of course. Now, in order to be a Christian or to be a fully developed personality — this can be expressed humanistically or religiously — you have to be involved substantially in something. We can call it commitment, but the word has to me a very bad sound. I do not like it. It has been so much abused, and there is also the problem of the possibility of making a vow. I would say that such vows are impossible; we cannot commit ourselves to anything absolutely. And it follows, therefore, that divorce should be possible in Protestant ethics. A vow for life in any respect is impossible, because it gives to the finite moment in which we are willing to do this an absolute superiority above all other later moments in our life.
틸리히 : 물론 그렇습니다. 우리가 기독교인이나 또는 완전히 발전된 인격이 되기 위하여는-이것은 인본주의적으로 또는 종교적으로 표현될 수 있습니다-실질적으로 어떤 것에 개입되어야 합니다. 우리가 이것을 위탁이라고 합니다만, 그 말이 나에게는 거슬리게 들립니다. 그래서인지 나는 그 말을 좋아하지 않습니다. 그것은 대단히 남용되었을뿐더러 서약의 가능성에 대한 문제도 있습니다. 나는 그러한 서약은 불가능하며 우리가 자신을 어떤 것에 절대적으로 위탁할 수 없다고 말하고 싶습니다. 그러므로 개신교 윤리에서는 이혼의 가능성이 따르게 마련입니다. 어떤 점에서 보나 삶을 위한 서약이 불가능합니다. 그것은 우리가 서약하려는 유한한 순간에게 차후에 따를 모든 순간을 능가하는 절대적 우월성을 부여하기 때문입니다.

Professor: This would apply to the vow of marriage?
교수 : 이것이 결혼 서약에 적용됩니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes.
틸리히 : 그렇습니다.

Professor: Or to the vow of monastic discipline?
교수 : 또는 수도원 훈련의 서약에도 적용됩니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, yes, to all of them. I deny the possibility of a vow because of the finitude of the finite. A vow, if is an absolute commitment, would make the moment in which we make it infinite or absolute. Other moments may come which reveal the relativity of the moment in which this decision was once made.
틸리히 : , 어디에나 됩니다. 내가 서약의 가능성을 부정하는 이유는 유한한 것의 유한성 때문입니다. 만일 어떤 서약이 절대적 위탁이라면, 우리가 그것을 무한한 것 또는 절대적인 것으로 만드는 순간을 맞이하게 됩니다. 차후에 이 결단을 낳은 순간의 상대성을 폭로할 순간들이 나타날 수도 있습니다.

Professor: In other words, this vow should be continually renewed in the existential situations of experience?
교수 : 다시 말하면, 이 서약은 경험의 실존적 상황에서 계속적으로 쇄신되어야 한다는 말씀입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Renewed or not renewed, according to the situation, yes. It is of course a decision, and a decision has consequences. We cannot just jump in and out of situations at will. These things we all know. But a decision should not have an absolute, unconditionally binding power.
틸리히 : 상황에 따라 쇄신되거나 아니 되거나 상관 없습니다. 서약은 물론 하나의 결단이요, 결단에는 결과가 있습니다. 우리는 상황들 속에 제 멋대로 뛰어들거나 거기서 뛰쳐나올 수 없습니다. 우리는 모두 이 사실들을 알고 있습니다. 그러나 하나의 결단은 어떤 절대적이고 무조건적인 속박하는 힘을 지녀서는 아니 됩니다.

Marriage and Divorce
결혼과 이혼

Professor: What’s going to happen to all our marriages if this is accepted?
교수 : 만일 우리가 서약의 절대성을 부정한다면, 우리의 결혼에는 어떤 결과가 주어질 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Some might be divorced, but that is what is happening already. Of course, here again we have the point of view of the Protestant, which is very sensitive; the Protestant ethic refuses to make one moment or one decision absolute, it is quite possible that a situation may occur when it is morally better, more in the line of agape, love, to be flexible. Agape is not only the absolute principle but also the flexible principle. The greatness of love is that it is not only absolute but also flexible, according to the concrete situation. Therefore there are situations which I often have to discuss with people, where the flexibility element of agape is necessary to the resolution of the problem.
틸리히 : 어떤 이들은 이혼당할지 모릅니다. 그러나 이 사실은 벌써 일어나고 있는 것이지요, 여기서 우리는 감수성이 예민한 개신교의 입장을 다시 보게 됩니다. 개신교 윤리는 하나의 순간이나 결단을 절대화하기를 거절하는 것입니다. 신축적인 것이 아가페 사랑의 견지에서 도덕적으로 보다 선할 때 어떤 상황이 야기될 수 있다는 것은 대단히 가능한 이야기입니다. 아가페는 절대적 원리일 뿐만 아니라 신축적 원리이기도 합니다. 사랑의 위대성은 그것이 절대적일 뿐만 아니라 구체적 상황에 따라 신축적인 것입니다. 그러므로 내가 사람들과 자주 토의해야 하는 생활들 가운데는 아가페의 신축적 요인이 문제 해결에 필수적인 곳들이 있습니다.

Professor: Now on the positive side, in support of this, then, one might say that this attitude would assure that there would be no hypocrisy, and that the relationship was a genuine one, whether it was marriage or monastic life or anything else. It insures integrity and sincerity. On the other side, against your position, could you not say that "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak," and that the strength of a vow is what keeps our Franciscan Father as he is, at times when he might temporarily wish he were not committed — a feeling in moments of weakness, personal disadvantage, and so on? Is this not true of any other decisive position? Suppose, in a marriage, in a moment of bitterness one could throw the other one out, what would happen to the stability of human institutions?
교수 : 그 입장을 지지하는 편에 선 사람은 그런 태도에는 위선적인 데가 없고 따라서 그 관계가 결혼, 수도생활, 또는 그 밖의 무엇이든 간에 그것은 순수하다고 확신할지 모르겠습니다. 그 태도는 성실과 진실을 보장해 줄 것입니다. 이와는 달리, 반대의 입장에 선 사람은 정신은 원하고 있지만 육신이 약하다고 할 수 있지 않느냐고 반문할 것입니다. 또한 여기에 오신 프란시스코파 신부님은 자기가 나약해지거나 개인적으로 불리할 경우에 이르게 되어 순간적이나마 신부 된 사실을 후회하는 찰나에도 서약이 갖는 힘 때문에 자기를 견지하지 않느냐는 말입니다. 이것은 어떤 다른 결정적인 입장에서도 사실이 아닐까요? 가령 결혼 생활이나 어떤 비통한 순간에 어떤 사람이 상대방을 내동댕이쳤다고 합시다. 그렇게 되면 인간 사회의 제도의 안정성이 도대체 어떻게 될 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now we are not all California movie stars. We have an intimate relationship to other human beings. For instance, the possibility that my dedication to theology and philosophy could be broken has never entered my mind. Even in some desperate moment, concrete moments when I tried to escape out of theology completely and flee into philosophy — which I could have done easily, in terms of external conditions — the vow (which I never gave of course, but which was my internal drive to be a theologian) was very strong and kept me at it. But I never said to myself, "If I abandon theology, I will break my vow." There are others whom I actually counseled to leave theology, because they were defeated by it; they had chosen theology, but it was impossible for them to continue because of the whole inner structure of their spiritual life.
틸리히 : 그러나 우리는 캘리포니아에 있는 영화 배우들은 아닙니다. 우리는 다른 인간들과 밀접한 관계를 맺고 있습니다. 예를 들어 말하자면, 내가 신학과 철학에 헌신한 사실이 부서질 가능이 내 마음 속에 스며든 적은 없었습니다. 내가 신학에서 완전히 도피하여 철학에 몰두하려고 시도하던 절망적인 순간까지도 나는 외적 조건들 때문에 손쉽게 그런 방향으로 일을 처리할 수 있었습니다만-그 서약은(나는 물론 서약한 적은 없었지만, 신학자가 되려는 내적 충동은 서약과 다름 없었습니다) 나를 붙잡아 버렸습니다. 그러나 만일 내가 신학을 포기한다면 나는 나의 서약을 파기하는 것이다고 스스로 생각해 본 적은 없었습니다. 나는 실제로 신학을 그만두려는 사람들과 상담한 일이 있습니다. 그들은 신학을 함으로써 패배당하였다고 느끼기 때문에 신학과 절연하려는 것입니다. 그들이 신학을 선택한 것을 사실입니다. 그러나 그들의 정신 생활의 내면적 구조 전체 때문에 신학을 계속하는 것은 도저히 불가능하였습니다.

Professor: Then a true vow is to be true to yourself, not to any particular statement of a moment?
교수 : 그렇다면 참된 서약이란 자신에게 진실하다는 것이지 어떤 계기에 표현한 특별한 성명에 대하여 진실한 것이 아니라는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, now, you see, all these situations stand under the principle of agape. If we see them only in abstract terms, it would seem that we could go jumping about in this or that direction, but that is not the reality. The reality is that if we abandon a direction of our life which we have chosen, and which has many foundations in our past and is still a power in our present, it is a heartbreaking thing. And only in an utter boundary-line situation or crisis should it be done in very serious matters.
틸리히 : 그렇습니다. 이 모든 상황들은 아가페의 원리에 따라 지배됩니다. 우리가 만일 그들을 추상적으로 관찰한다면, 우리는 이런 방향 혹은 저런 방향으로 뛰어 다닐 수 있다고 생각할지 모릅니다. 그러나 현실은 그렇지 않습니다. 현실은 만일 우리가 스스로 선택하였고 우리의 과거의 근거와 현재의 힘이되는 삶의 방향을 포기한다면 이것은 마음 아픈 일이라는 것입니다. 따라서 현실은 철저한 한계 상황 또는 위기에서만 심각하게 문제시될 수밖에 없습니다.

Professor: Could you define agape once more?
교수 : 아가페에 대하여 다시 한 번 정의를 내려 주실 수 있겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Agape is that form of love in which God loves us, and in which we are to love our neighbor especially if we do not like him. I think this paradox is most characteristic; would you agree?
틸리히 : 아가페는 하나님이 우리를 사랑하고 특히 우리가 이웃을 사랑하되 좋아하지 않는 이웃을 사랑해야 하는 사랑의 형식입니다. 나는 이 역설이 가장 특징적이라고 생각합니다. 여기에 동의하십니까?

Franciscan Father: I would.
프란시스코파 신부 : , 동의합니다.

Professor: Our third question is this: You say, on page 92 in the last chapter of your book, Christianity and the Encounter of World Religions: "The ritual element was devaluated by the Reformation, in the theology of both the great reformers and of the evangelical radicals. One of the most cutting attacks of Luther was directed against the ‘vita religiosa,’ the life of the ‘homini religiosi,’ the monks. God is present in the secular realm; in this view Renaissance and Reformation agree. It was an important victory in the fight of God against religion." Now since monks devote their lives to a search for the divine, is this not at least one of the legitimate possibilities in man’s pursuit of the ultimate? Why then was Luther’s action a victory when it deprived the Protestant world of the monastic alternative? There is not very much of the monastic life in the Protestant religion; there is a little in the Lutheran and a little in the Anglican, but, by and large, the Protestant world has lost this important alternative.
교수 : 셋째 질문은 박사님의 책 기독교와 세계 종교들의 만남의 마지막 장, 92페이지에 기록된 말과 관련됩니다. 거기에 보면 다음과 같습니다. “의식적 요소는 종교 개혁에 의하여, 위대한 개혁자들과 복음주의적 과격분자들의 신학에 의하여 과소평가되었다. 루터는 종교적 생활(vita religiosa)’ ‘종교적 인간’(homini religiosi) 곧 수도사들의 생활에 대하여 가장 신랄한 공격을 퍼부었다. 하나님은 세속적 영역 안에 현존하신다. 문예 부흥과 종교 개혁은 이 견해에 일치를 보았다. 그것은 하나님이 종교에 대하여 싸워 얻은 중대한 승리였다.” 그렇다면 수도사들은 신을 모색하기 위하여 자기들의 일생을 헌신하는 한 종교 생활은 인간이 신을 추구하는 데 있어서 최소한도 합법적 가능성들 중의 하나가 아니겠습니까? 그렇다면 어떻게 개신교에서 수도 생활을 박탈한 루터의 행동이 성공적이라고 할 수 있습니까? 개신교에는 수도 생활이 별로 많지 않습니다. 루터교와 성공회에 약간 있습니다만, 개신교는 이 중요한 면을 잃었습니다.

Layman and Monk
평신도와 수도사

Dr. Tillich: Now when I refer to Luther, the situation is very clear. For Luther was a monk himself, one of the most ascetic, and full of the vitality which drove beyond asceticism; and in these struggles he came to the conviction that monastic work is not better than the layman’s work. What he fought against was the conviction that the monastic work was somehow nearer to God, in principle of course. I mean, every Catholic would admit that there are bad monks and good monks, just as there are bad businessmen and good business men as Christians. But that is not the principal consideration here. The principal consideration is whether on the highest level the ascetic, monastic life is superior to the active life in the world. (Let us always think of the businessman, because he is considered a kind of opposite.)
As for the "superiority" of the homini religiosi — it is obvious that the use of this term presupposes the knowledge that what were known in medieval Latin as homini religiosi, religious men, were the monks. And the very fact that this word was applied to them shows that the really religious life was thought to be the life of a monk. And against this idea — that was one aspect of it — Luther revolted in the name of the secular world. The Reformation is largely a secular revolt against the religious life as being superior to the secular life.
The other aspect was that the kind of work done in monasticism, religious work, was believed to constitute the merit required in order to deserve the grace of God, more than could be expected by those who did not do this sort of work. Luther denied this because he had rediscovered the idea of grace alone, the idea that divine grace alone makes it possible for us to be accepted by God. This is what I call in my Courage To Be the acceptance of acceptance — the acceptance of the fact that we are accepted. And that is unconditional; it comes from God.
In the monastic tradition of his time there was much of what Luther called "work" — salvation by work, by intensive asceticism, discipline, self-control, and so on. Luther consulted his heart and came to the solution that work does not save in itself. He found his saving grace when he read — I think in III John 16 — that it is grace alone that makes us just before God. That is the reason for Luther’s stand.
Concerning the possible loss of an alternative in Protestant ism, I believe that Protestantism not only won something in its victory over the concept of monasticism, but also indeed lost something: namely, the possibility of religious consecration, of religious concentration or contemplation, without work in the sense that Luther used the word — work done to obtain one’s eternal life and in the hope of gaining superiority over the layman. Accordingly, an idea is now often discussed in Protestantism that would encourage laymen, anyone, to enter at some time or other the atmosphere of the monastery. There might even be some people who would be inclined to stay there and live that life. That is a possibility, and Protestantism has experimented with it and is discussing it.
틸리히 : 루터를 참고하여 보면 상황은 매우 분명해 집니다. 루터 자신은 가장 금욕적일 뿐만 아니라 금욕주의를 초월하는 생명력이 풍부한 수도사였습니다. 그러다가 그는 이 투쟁 속에서 수도원의 생활이 평신도의 생활보다 좋을 것이 없다는 확신에 이르게 되었습니다. 그리하여 그는 수도원의 생활이 비록 원리상으로나마 하나님께 보다 가깝다는 확신에 대하여 반기를 들었습니다. 모든 카톨릭 교인은 나쁜 수도사들과 좋은 수도사들이 있음을 수긍하리라고 생각합니다. 그것은 마치 기독교인 실업가들 가운데 나쁜 실업가와 좋은 실업가가 있는 것과 대동소이 합니다. 그러나 이것이 여기서 가장 중요하게 고려할 문제는 아닙니다. 문제는 곧 최고의 수준에 도달한 금욕적 수도원의 생활이 세속 속에서 활동하는 생활보다 우월하냐 하는 것입니다.(실업가는 수도사에 반대되는 것으로 간주되므로 실업가를 항상 생각하는 것이 좋을 듯합니다.)
종교인들의 우월성이라는 용어가 사용된 것은 중세기의 라틴어가 종교인들이라고 할 때는 승려들을 전제하였기 때문입니다. 따라서 이 말이 그들에게 적용되었다는 바로 그 사실은 참된 종교적 생활은 수도사의 생활이라고 인정되었음을 시사해 줍니다. 이 개념에 대하여-이 개념은 그 말이 가진 한 면에 불과합니다만-루터는 세속 세계의 이름으로 항거하였습니다. 종교 개혁은 세속 생활보다 우월하다는 종교 생활에 대한 세속적 항거라고 해서 과언이 아닙니다.
그 말이 지닌 또 하나의 면은 수도원의 종교 생활이 세속 생활에 비하여 신의 은총을 받는 데 반드시 필요한 공적을 세웠다고 믿는 것입니다. 루터는 이것을 부정하였습니다. 그것은 그가 은총만이라는 개념 곧 신의 은총만이 우리가 신에게 용납될 수 있는 가능성을 제시한다는 개념을 재발견하였기 때문입니다. 이것이 소위 나의 책 존재에의 용기에서 말한 용납의 용납(the acceptance of acceptance) 곧 우리가 용납 받았다는 사실을 용납하는 것입니다. 그것은 무조건적입니다. 그것은 신으로부터 오기 때문입니다.
루터 당시의 수도원의 전통에 보면, 소위 그가 말하는 노력’(work)-공로, 철저한 금욕주의, 훈련, 극기(克己)등에 의한 구원- 이 신앙생활의 상당한 부분을 차지하였습니다. 루터는 심사숙고 끝에 노력 자체는 구원하지 못한다는 결론에 도달하였습니다. 그는 요한 316절인가를 (요한 3서에는 16절이 없음: 역자 주)읽을 때 신 앞에서 우리를 의롭게 하는 것은 은총 뿐이라는 구속의 은총을 발견하였습니다. 이것이 루터가 설 수 있었던 이유입니다.
이리하여 개신교는 수도 생활의 개념과 싸워 승리한 것에서 획득한 것도 있지만 또한 상실한 것도 있습니다. 즉 개신교는 자기의 영원한 생명과 평신도를 능가할 우월성을 획득하기 위한 노력-이것은 루터가 말하는 노력의 의미입니다-이 없을 때 종교적 헌신, 종교적 집념 또는 명상의 가능성을 상실하였습니다. 그러나 근자에 와서 평신도는 누구나 수도원의 분위기 속에 때때로 들어가도록 격려하는 문제가 개신교에서 자주 논의되고 있습니다. 어떤 이들은 거기에 머무르면서 그 생활을 계속하려고 들지도 모르겠습니다. 이것은 하나의 가능성에 불과합니다만, 개신교는 그것을 실험하여 보았고 지금 그것을 논의하는 중입니다.

Professor: What we could call religious retreats?
교수 : 그것을 종교적 퇴수(退修)라고 하면 어떻습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, now the word "retreat" already approximates this idea. Usually a retreat last for only three days or so, but what I was describing involves a substantial period of experience. I know that the St. Michael’s Brotherhood in
Germany, to which I belonged before Hitler threw me out, was an attempt to bring these things back into Protestantism without the two distortions of which I have spoken. The idea of monasticism is extremely complicated, and I agree with the questioner that something is lost, something is gone. But at least the distortion that God is closer to the homo religiosus or the "religionist" — to use a most ugly English word — than he is to the baker or the shoemaker or the businessman, has been destroyed.

틸리히 : , ‘퇴수’(retreat)라는 말은 위의 개념과 매우 근사합니다. 보통 퇴수는 3,4일 정도로 끝납니다마는, 내가 말하는 것은 상당한 기간의 경험을 내포하는 것입니다. 내가 히틀러에게 추방당하기 직전까지 속하여 있던 독일의 성 미카엘 형제단(St. Michael’s Brotherhood)은 위에서 언급한 두 가지 왜곡이 없이 수도 생활을 개신교의 테두리 안에서 시도하려는 것이었습니다. 수도 생활의 개념은 매우 착잡합니다. 따라서 나는 개신교가 상실한 요소가 있다는 질문자의 말에 찬성합니다. 그렇지만 신은 빵 굽는 사람이나 구두 만드는 사람이나 실업하는 사람보다 종교인 또는 가장 추악한 영어를 쓴다면 종교주의자(the religionist)’에게 더 가깝다는 왜곡된 생각이 분쇄된 것만은 최소한도 부정할 수 없는 사실입니다.

Professor: But you have in Catholicism, and in Buddhism and other Oriental systems, the idea that as a part of a serious religious endeavor it is important, desirable, perhaps even essential, to have a close and completely dedicated association with others in the same pursuit. And this means separation for a time from the ordinary demands of life. This, as you know, represents a stage of the ideal Hindu life. One is to be separated from all considerations, political, economic, familial, and the rest, and devote oneself to contemplation. This concept in different form is still evident in the Catholic world. If retreats are only the occasional visits of laymen, can they hope to do what, for example, the Trappist order is doing in Kentucky, where a group of monks, withdrawn into a silent world, have abandoned ordinary secular pleasures and pursuits?
교수 : 그렇지만 카톨릭교, 불교, 그 밖의 동양종교에 보면, 심각한 종교적 훈련의 한 부분으로서, 추구하는 방향이 같은 동료들과 밀접하고 완전히 헌신한 교제를 맺는 일은 중요하기도 하고 요청도 되며 심지어는 본질이라는 사상이 개재되어 있습니다. 이것은 삶의 일상적인 요청으로부터 당분간 분리함을 뜻합니다. 박사님께서 주지하시는 바와 같이, 이것은 이상적인 힌두교 생활의 한 단계를 묘사하여 줍니다. 그것은 사람이 스스로 정치, 경제, 가정, 그 밖의 모든 생각에서 떠나, 명상에만 전심을 기울여야 하는 것입니다. 이 개념이 다른 형태도 카톨릭 세계 안에 아직도 뚜렷이 남아 있습니다. 만일 퇴수가 평신도들의 일시적인 방문에 불과한다면, 트래피스트의 수도원 제도(Trappist order)의 승려들이 켄터키의 정숙한 세계에 찾아와서 평범한 세속적 쾌락과 추구를 포기하는 것과 같은 것을 평신도 자신들이 수행하기를 바랄 수 있겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: I refer now to the old struggles in the early monastic groups and the monastic forms that developed in Egypt and later on in the East, where the problem arose concerning the relationship of the inner contemplative life, the prayer life, to the active life. St. Benedict3 and his monastic reform were largely responsible for combining the contemplative element with the work element — for the insistence on the necessity of working. And I think this seems to be the Protestant view.
Now here I would like to ask our visiting Father about the Franciscans’ way of doing it. They did not live a monastic life so much by ordinary work as by going around and helping people in all kinds of ways and begging. This is always the problem of monasticism: Is a merely contemplative life sound? Or is it self-destructive? People of the greatness of St. Francis were fully aware of the problem, as was St. Benedict certainly. Their monks always had tasks. Now the combination of these tasks with contemplation was, at least, the ideal.
Why was it important that the monks should work? We can answer this question in two ways. We can say that monks must work for their own health — I do not mean bodily health, although perhaps that was also involved — but for their own inner spiritual health. Only to contemplate is impossible. Or we can say that there is so much to be done in the world that we need monks, who are in a special relationship to God, to help show us the direction toward the actualization of the Kingdom of God in history. This is what the Catholic Sisters were doing in Germany when they worked to drain the swamps and clear the forests, and at other necessary tasks that were needed for the life of the province where I was born, in which Berlin now is. The psychological question is: Did they do it because they thought that this must be done with a view toward the actualization of the Kingdom of God on earth, or did they do it because they said to themselves, "We must work; otherwise our spiritual life will be unhealthy"? If the latter, I would not esteem their labor so highly; I would say that such labor, in that spirit, does not overcome religious egocentricity. But of the first answer, which seems obviously to apply to these Sisters, I would say that their work was justified and that it had, for that period, a tremendous historical power and necessity. Now I don’t know if the Father would agree with that.

틸리히 : 이집트와 그 후 동방에서 발전한 초기 수도원들과 그 형태들이 지녔던 문제가 있었는데 그것은 명상의 생활 곧 기도의 생활과 활동하는 생활과의 관계성에 대한 것이었습니다. 성 베네딕트와 그의 수도원 개혁은 노동의 필요성을 강조하기 위하여 명상의 요소와 노동의 요소를 결합하였습니다. 나는 이것이 개신교의 견해라고 생각합니다.
여기서 나는 오늘 우리를 찾아주신 신부님께 프란시스코파의 승려들은 노동을 어떤 방법으로 하는지 묻고 싶습니다. 그들은 평범한 일을 하면서 수도원 생활을 영위하기보다는 차라리 돌아다니면서 여러 가지 방법으로 사람들을 돕고 구걸가지 합니다. 이것이 항상 수도 생활의 문제점입니다. 즉 다만 명상의 생활만이 건전한 것인가, 그렇지 않으면 그것은 자기 파괴적인가 하는 것입니다. 위대한 성 프란시스의 제자들은 성 베네딕트와 마찬가지로 그 문제성을 충분히 의식하고 있었습니다. 그들의 승려들은 언제나 과제가 있었습니다. 이 과제와 명상의 결합은 최소한도 이상적인 것이었습니다.
왜 수도사들이 노동하는 것이 중요합니까? 우리는 이 질문을 두 가지로 대답할 수 있을 듯합니다. 수도사들은 자기들의 건강을 위해 노동한다고 말할 수 있습니다. 이 말은 물론 육체적인 건강도 포함할 수 있을지 모르겠습니다만, 나는 그것을 의미하는 것이 아니고 오히려 그들의 정신적 건강을 위해서라는 말입니다. 명상만 하는 것은 불가능합니다. 둘째로는 세상에는 할 일이 너무도 많기 때문에 하나님과 특별한 관계를 가진 승려들이 있어서 역사 속에 하나님의 나라를 실현하는 방향을 우리에게 보여주기 위해 필요한 존재들이라고 말할 수 있습니다. 이것이 바로 카톨릭의 수녀들이 독일에서 습지대에 하수도를 시설하고 산림을 정화하였으며 또한 내가 출생한 도()와 오늘날 베를린에서 생활에 필요한 여러 가지 과제들을 구체적으로 실천할 때 보여주는 현상입니다. 여기에 심리학적 질문이 있습니다. 즉 그들이 노동하는 것은 그것이 이 땅 위에 하나님의 나라를 실현한다는 관점에서 수행되어야 한다고 그들이 생각하기 때문일까요? 그렇지 않으면 우리는 노동해야 한다. 하지 않는 경우에는 우리의 정신 생활이 허약해 질 것이다.”고 그들 스스로가 생각하기 때문일까요? 만일 후자의 경우라면, 나는 그들의 노동을 높이 평가하지 않겠습니다. 그러한 노동은 정신적으로 볼 때 종교적 이기주의를 극복하지 못한다고 하겠습니다. 그러나 전자의 경우라면(위의 수녀들이 이 경우에 해당한다고 생각되는데), 그 노동은 정당하며 그 기간에는 놀라운 역사적 힘과 필연성을 지녔을 것이라고 말하고 싶습니다. 신부님께서 나의 의견에 동의하실지 모르겠습니다.

Franciscan Father: Well, there are a number of ideas here. First of all, I would agree with Dr. Tillich on this whole problem of agape. I would say that the main reason I remain faithful to my monastic vows would be agape. If ever I came to the time where I was discontented with my monastic life, it would be that I had lost agape. In other words, I would say that if an individual had lost his spontaneous urge to live this particular way of life, something had gone wrong with him. So instead of getting a dispensation from his vows I would try to counsel that person to rediscover the impulse from God that had urged him initially to take the vow I would agree that adherence to agape is more important than adherence to monastic vows, but I see a very close relation to the two. And I see no conflict at all.
신부: 그 점에 대하여 여러 가지로 생각됩니다만, 저는 먼저 아가페의 문제 전체에 관하여 박사님의 견해에 동조하고 싶습니다. 제가 수도원의 서약에 지금까지 충실한 중요한 이유는 아가페 때문이라고 하겠습니다. 만일 제가 수도 생활에 불만을 느낀 때가 있었다면, 그것은 제가 아가페를 상실한 것이라고 해서 좋겠습니다. 달리 말하면, 만일 어떤 사람이 이러한 독특한 삶의 방법을 계속하려는 자발적 충동을 상실했다면, 그에게는 잘못된 것이 있다고 할 수밖에 없습니다. 그러므로 저는 그를 서약에서 해제하는 대신에 그로 하여금 서약하게 만든 하나님이 주신 충동을 재발견하도록 권면해 보겠습니다. 저는 아가페에 집착하는 것이 수도원의 서약에 집착하는 것보다 중요하다는 것에 찬동합니다. 그러나 저는 이 둘 사이에 매우 밀접한 관계가 있음을 봅니다. 따라서 저는 이 둘 사이에 충돌은 전혀 없다고 생각합니다.

Dr. Tillich: But a possible conflict.
틸리히 : 그러나 충돌 가능성은 있겠죠?

Franciscan Father: A possible conflict, yes. That’s right. I would say the same thing. To put it forcefully I would not say that just because you are a monk, according to Christian terminology, you can save your soul or are necessarily any better than the layman. In the final estimate, you are judged by agape. Monastic vows are a means to agape. I wouldn’t say that monasticism itself has shifted over the years, but I would say that now the church would not hold that there is any difference essentially between the life of the monk and the life of the layman. I think that is sound theology. Agape is the essence, and I would say that all laymen and monks, bishops and popes, are called to the same ideal of perfection. It is simply that some people are more contemplative by nature, others more active. And the ideal I would say would be the mixed life, the vita mixta lived by Christ himself. I would agree with Dr. Tillich that the ideal is not solely the contemplative life; the mixed life is the ideal. But there are some people who by nature are drawn toward one or another type of life, and I believe that grace, or God’s doing, builds upon nature. So I think God goes along with what each one needs and can best do.
신부 : 물론 그렇습니다. 그러나 저도 결국 같은 사실을 말하고 싶습니다. 좀 강한 표현을 빌린다면, 우리가 수도사이기 때문에 평신도보다 영혼을 구원하는 일에나 인격적인 면에 우월할 수 있다고 할 수는 없습니다. 최후의 평가 기준은 아가페이고 이것이 우리를 판단합니다. 수도원의 서약은 아가페에 이르는 하나의 수단에 불과합니다. 과거부터 현재에 이르기까지 수도생활 자체가 변경된 것은 없습니다만, 오늘날 교회가 수도사의 생활과 평신도의 생활에는 본질적인 상이성이 있다고 주장하지 않습니다. 저는 이것이 건전한 신학이라고 생각합니다. 아가페는 본질입니다. 따라서 모든 평신도들과 수도사들, 감독들과 교황들은 완전이라는 동일한 이상에 귀속하도록 요청된다고 하겠습니다. 단순히 어떤 사람은 성격적으로 보다 명상적이고 또 어떤 사람들은 보다 활동적입니다. 그런데 가장 이상적인 것은 아마도 그리스도 자신이 사신 혼합된 생활(the mixed life,vita mixta)이 아닐까 합니다. 이상적인 것은 명상의 생활만이 아니라 혼합된 생활이라는 틸리히 박사님의 견해에 저는 동의하는 셈입니다. 그러나 사람들은 성격적으로 명상과 행동, 이 둘 중의 어느 하나로 치우치는 경향이 있습니다. 따라서 은총 또는 하나님의 행위는 성격 위에 주어진다고 저는 믿습니다. 그러므로 하나님은 각자의 필요와 최선에 따라간다고 생각합니다.

Professor: Dr. Tillich, may I ask, would you feel that refraining from marriage in the case of nuns and monks is justified in terms of their particular vocation or type of life?
교수 : 틸리히 박사님, 수녀들과 수도사들이 그들의 특수한 소명이나 삶의 형태 때문에 결혼을 피하는 일이 정당하다고 생각하십니까?

Dr. Tillich: Oh, if they feel like it they should, of course. I mean I would not say that there is any law that one should marry. Not at all. And now I would also agree with the Father’s statement that "God follows nature." This has my fullest approval. But if it appears after a time that an individual’s nature has become quite different from what it was at the time that he or she as an enthusiastic young man or woman took vows, then God would probably demand that this person follow his or her nature, and serve him differently.
틸리히 : 만일 그들이 그렇게 느낀다면 그렇게 해야겠지요. 반드시 결혼해야 한다는 어떤 법칙이 있다고 보지 않으니까요. 나는 또한 하나님은 성격을 따른다는 신부님의 말씀에 의견을 같이 하고 싶습니다. 나는 여기에 전적으로 찬동합니다. 그러나 만일 어떤 개인의 성격이 열정 있는 젊은이로서 서약할 때에 비하여 크게 달라졌다면, 이 사람은 자신의 성격만 따르고 신을 잘못 섬긴다고 신 자신이 항의할지도 모르겠습니다.

Franciscan Father: Well, I think there is a tendency in the church now to dispense more and more with the vows. In fact, I would say the time will come when celibacy will no longer be demanded for the clergy in the Roman Catholic church.
신부 : 오늘날 교회에서는 서약을 점차적으로 해제하는 경향이 있다고 생각됩니다. 아마 로마 카톨릭 교회에서도 성직자에게 독신 생활을 요청하지 않을 시기가 오지 않을까 합니다.

Dr. Tillich: Oh, I’m very glad to hear that!
틸리히 : 그런 말씀을 들으니 매우 기쁩니다.

Franciscan Father: There is a tendency that way.
신부 : 그 방향으로 가는 경향이 다분히 있습니다.

Dr. Tillich: A tendency means two hundred years!
틸리히 : 경향이란 200년 정도를 뜻하는 수도 있습니다.

Franciscan Father: Albeit, I hate to wish that upon my successors. Well, again I think that any group, whether it be Protestant or Catholic, should be allowed to meet what we call the natural demands of a person. I think you should permit the purely contemplative life, the mixed, and that which is more active. So I think we should have that area of choice, and a person should be free to move from one to the other. You can’t arbitrarily put yourself in one particular position and then hold on to that for dear life.
On the other hand, something has to be done about this so-called weakness of a person. This is a problem. I think if a person wished to leave the monastic life sincerely and in good faith, I would dispense him if I were the superior.
But if he were in good faith, I wouldn’t approach the problem by arguing fidelity to a vow; I would get back to agape, or call it what you want. In other words, there is something more profound than observance of vows. Ultimately, in the sight of God, this is what counts more than external adherence to something that is merely church-made.
신부 : 그렇지만 저는 후계자들에게 독신 생활을 바라지 않습니다. 또한 저는 어떤 집단이 개신교이거나 또는 카톨릭이거나간에 소위 인격의 자연적 요구에 응답하도록 허락되었으면 합니다. 순수한 명상의 생활, 혼합된 생활, 그리고 보다 활동적인 생활 등이 허용되어야 한다는 것입니다. 그러므로 우리에게는 선택의 여지가 있고 각자는 여기서 저기로 자유롭게 움직여야하리라고 생각합니다. 우리는 한 개의 특수한 입장에 자신을 독단적으로 고정시키고 귀중한 일생을 그것에 집착하게 만들어 버릴 수 없습니다.
또한 사람의 나약성에 대한 모종의 조처가 취해져야 하겠습니다. 이것이 하나의 문제이기도 합니다. 만일 어떤 사람이 진실과 신앙으로 수도 생활을 작별하고자 원한다면, 제가 상관인 경우에는 그를 서슴지 않고 면제하여 주겠습니다.
만일 그가 신앙의 사람이라면, 저는 그가 서약에 얼마나 충실하였는가 논쟁하면서 그 문제를 취급하지는 않을 것입니다. 저는 차라리 아가페로 귀환할 것입니다. 환언하면, 서약의 준수보다 더 심오한 것이 있다는 말씀입니다. 이것이 궁극적으로 신 앞에서는 교회가 제조한 것에 외곽적으로 집착하는 것보다 훨씬 가치 있는 것입니다.

Professor: Then I take it, Dr. Tillich, you do accept the monastic life as a legitimate alternative?
교수 : 그렇다면 저는 그것을 받아들입니다. 틸리히 박사님께서도 수도 생활을 합리적인 것이라고 수긍하시는지요?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, under these conditions, about which we now agree. But in the period of Luther this was by no means the case.
틸리히 : , 우리가 지금 동의하는 조건들 아래서는 수긍합니다. 그러나 루터의 시대에는 사정이 달랐습니다.

Student: Isn’t it still an "advantage," in Catholicism, for an individual to join a religious order?
학생 : 카톨릭교에 있어서는 한 개인이 종교적 교단에 가담한다는 것은 지금도 유리한 점이 아니겠습니까?
Franciscan Father: In the abstract, not in practice; not so far as individuals are concerned. If a person came up to me and said, "Now should I become a monk or not?" I couldn’t answer. I wouldn’t say, "Because the life of the monk is higher than the life of a layman, you should become a monk." I would have to judge the individual; he might even, as far as I’m concerned, be sinning against agape in trying to become a monk. This is purely theoretical, of course, because generally speaking, given the world as it is with its temptations, you do have, theoretically, additional means to grace. But when you come down to practice that doesn’t mean too much, really.
신부 : 추상적으로는 그렇지만, 실제적으로는 그렇지 않습니다. 개인들이 관계되는 경우에도 그렇지 않습니다. 만일 어떤 사람이 저에게 찾아와서 묻기를 제가 수도사가 되는 것이 좋겠습니까? 안 되는 것이 좋겠습니까?” 한다면 저는 대답할 수 없습니다. “수도사의 생활이 평신도의 생활보다 고차저인 것이니까 너는 수도사가 되어야 한다.”고 저는 말하지 않을 것입니다. 저는 먼저 그 사람을 판단해 보아야 할 것입니다. 제 생각에는 그가 수도사가 되려고 시도할 때 아가페에 대하여 죄를 범하고 있는지도 모르기 때문입니다. 물론 이것은 순전히 이론적인 것입니다. 그것은 일반적으로 말해서 세상에는 유혹이 하고 많아서 우리는 이론적으로나마 은총에 대한 부수적 방법들을 가지고 있기 때문입니다. 그러나 우리가 실천에 부딪힐 때 그것은 사실상 별 의미를 주지 않습니다.

Professor: Father, the Catholic church recognizes married saints as well as celibate saints?
교수 : 신부님, 카톨릭 교회에서는 결혼한 성자들과 독신인 성자들을 모두 인정합니까?

Franciscan Father: Well, Pius XI said very clearly that everyone is called to the same essential degree of holiness. Everyone.
신부 : 피우스 11세는 누구나 거룩의 동일한 본질적 차원에 이르도록 요청된다고 매우 명백하게 표명한 적이 있습니다. 누구나 말입니다.

Professor: Then it can be achieved in any capacity?
교수 : 그러면 그것은 어떠한 능력으로도 성취될 수 있습니까?

Franciscan Father: Yes. I would say, though, that generally speaking and abstractly, there are more means in a religious life than in a lay state.
신부 : , 그러나 일반적으로 말해서, 종교적 생활에는 평범한 상태에서 보다 많은 수단이 있지 않나 생각됩니다.

Professor: Fewer temptations?
교수 : 유혹이 적다는 말씀인가요?

Franciscan Father: Well, the essential temptation is there also. The essential temptation in life is pride, self-love — call it what you want — that is the essential temptation.
신부 : 글쎄요. 본질적인 유혹은 거기에도 있겠지요. 삶에 있어서 본질적 유혹은 교만 곧 자기 사랑(自愛)입니다. 그것을 뭐라고 부르셔도 좋습니다만, 여하간 그것이 본질적 유혹입니다.

Pride and Self-Affirmation
교만과 자기 긍정

Professor: You speak of pride, Father, and this is one thing that should be asked of Dr. Tillich. In his The Courage To Be and in many of his writings, one comes across the concept of courage and the importance of the individual’s having the courage to be himself. This is, as he expresses it, derived from and dependent upon "being itself," or the "ground of being". And so far as an individual has the courage to be himself, he has "self-affirmation" and this self-affirmation is derived from the divine self-affirmation. Now how do we handle the problem of pride and ego here? Pride is, as you have indicated, the central problem of the great mystics such as St. John of the Cross. How do we distinguish the individual’s self-affirmation in a legitimate sense from mere egotism and pride?
교수 : 지금 신부님께서 교만(pride)에 대하여 말씀하셨는데 이것을 틸리히 박사님에게 질문해야 될 듯합니다. 우리가 그의 저서 존재에의 용기와 그 밖의 많은 논문을 보면, 용기의 개념 및 각 개인이 자기 자신이 되려는 용기를 가지는 것에 대한 중요성이 나타나 있습니다. 이것은 그가 표현하는 바와 같이, ‘존재 자체또는 존재의 근거에서 유래하고 또한 그것에 의존하는 것입니다. 그리고 한 개인이 자기 자신이 되려는 용기를 가지는 한, 그에게는 자기 긍정’(self-affirmation)이 있으며 이 자기 긍정은 신적 자기 긍정에서 배출된다는 것입니다. 이제 우리는 여기서 교만과 자아의 문제를 어떻게 처리할 것입니까? 박사님께서 지적하신 바와 같이 교만은 십자가의 성 요한과 같은 위대한 신비주의자의 중심 문제였습니다. 우리는 합리적인 의미에 있어서 개인의 자기 긍정을 단순한 이기주의와 교만에서 어떻게 구별할 수 있습니까?

Dr. Tillich: The word "self-affirmation" is difficult. Perhaps we really should not use the term. Now here I simply quote Jesus, "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." This means that he presupposes without saying it directly, that there is a natural self-affirmation in a person which should not prevent the affirmation of others. This would be the measure indicated in the Golden Rule. Self-affirmation is in everybody, in every animal; it is the basis of life. Otherwise, we could not protect ourselves against fire, water, and other dangers. And it should not be called self-love. The term "self-love" I reject completely. Augustine himself had difficulties with it. He had to distinguish between an ordered and an unordered self-love. Unordered self-love is what we would call selfishness today, and an ordered self-love is what I call "self-affirmation" simply in order to avoid a very misleading term.
틸리히 :자기 긍정이란 어려운 말입니다. 아마 우리가 그 용어를 사용하지 않는 것이 좋을지도 모르겠습니다. 나는 여기서 다만 네 이웃을 너 자신처럼 사랑하라는 예수의 말씀을 인용하고자 합니다. 이 말은 단도직입적으로 묘사하지는 않았지만, 한 인격에는 타인의 긍정을 물리쳐서는 아니 될 자연적 자기 긍정이 내재함을 전제하는 것이라고 이해합니다. 이것이 황금률에서 시사된 척도일 것입니다. 자기 긍정은 어느 누구에게나, 어느 동물에게나 있습니다. 그것은 삶의 근거이기 때문입니다. 그렇지 않으면 우리는 화재, 수해, 그 밖의 위험에서 우리 자신들을 보호할 수 없을 것입니다. 따라서 그것은 자애(自愛)라고 해서는 안 됩니다. 나는 자기 사랑이라는 말을 철저하게 배격합니다. 어거스틴 자신도 그 말에 곤난을 느꼈습니다. 그는 질서 있는 자기 사랑과 질서 없는 자기 사랑을 구별해야 했습니다. 질서 없는 자기 사랑이란 소위 오늘의 이기주의이고, 질서 있는 자기 사랑이란 오해될 가능성이 짙은 용어를 피하기 위하여 내가 사용하는 자기 긍정이라는 말과 대동소이합니다.

Professor: Then by self-affirmation you must mean affirmation of the infinite rather than the finite.
교수 : 그렇다면 박사님은 자기 긍정으로써 유한자보다는 차라리 무한자의 긍정을 의미함에 틀림없습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Now, yes, in the case of natural self-affirmation. There is another word in English, "selfishness," the meaning of which is without true self-love and really an affirmation of the finite; it results in self-hate and self-disgust. Here I refer with approval to my otherwise much-criticized friend, Erich Fromm. His analysis of self-love is very good.
Then there is a higher state which is the greatest form of self-affirmation, higher than the natural, namely, "self-acceptance in spite of." This is the most difficult thing: to have the right agape toward oneself. But in order to avoid the linguistic confusion I would not call it self-love, but self-acceptance, because it is the acceptance of being accepted. So the word self-love no longer exists in my vocabulary. If it were consistently rejected by others, innumerable confusions in talks and dialogues could be avoided — for example, this almost primitive question, "Isn’t our every act selfish?" The question involves a confusion between natural self-affirmation and selfishness. Such a confusion can be disastrous because it seems to prove that no good act is possible, since every act is selfish. In ethics this question is always being asked, and often out of nothing more than confusion, an innocent semantic confusion. Sometimes it is used as a justification for doing what one wants to do. That is rare. It is mostly a result of confusion. Very important for our consideration, then, are three concepts: natural self-affirmation; the negative distortion of it, selfishness; and the highest form of it, self-affirmation on the basis of being accepted in spite of being unacceptable. I think these concepts must be distinguished.
틸리히 : , 자연적 자아 긍정인 경우에는 그렇습니다. 영어에는 이기주의라는 말이 또 있는데 그것은 참된 자기 사랑의 결핍과 유한자의 긍정을 의미합니다. 그것은 자기 증오와 자기 혐오를 결과합니다. 여기서 나는 많은 비판을 받은 친구 에리히 프롬(Erich Fromm)을 참고하고자 합니다. 자기 사랑에 대한 그의 분석은 대단히 훌륭합니다.
그 다음으로는 자연적인 것보다 고차적인 자기 긍정의 위대한 형태 곧 에도 불구하고 자기 용납’(self-acceptance in spite of)이라는 고차적 상태가 있습니다. 이것은 가장 어려운 사실인데 즉 자기 자신에 대하여 올바른 아가페를 가지는 것입니다. 그러나 나는 언어학적 혼돈을 피하기 위하여 그것을 자기 사랑이라 하지 않고 자기 용납이라고 하고 싶은데 그 이유인즉 그것은 용납된 것을 용납하기 때문입니다. 그러므로 자기 사랑이라는 말은 이미 내가 사용하는 어휘는 아닙니다. 만일 사람들이 그 말을 배제한다면, “우리의 모든 행동은 이기주의적이 아닌가?”하는 따위의 유치한 질문 때문에 야기될 대화상의 수많은 문제들을 피할 수 있을 것입니다. 그 질문 자체는 자연적 자기 긍정과 이기주의의 혼돈을 내포하고 있습니다. 그러한 혼돈은 파괴적일 가능성이 있는데 그 이유는 그 질문 자체가 모든 행동은 이기적이니만큼 선한 생동은 불가능하다고 증명하는 듯하기 때문입니다. 이 질문은 윤리학에서 항시 제기되는데 여기서는 혼돈 이외의 아무것도 나타나지 않으며 다만 무사기한 의미론적 혼돈만이 남아 있을 따름입니다. 그것이 어떤 때는 자기가 원하는 행동을 수행하기 위한 정당화로 이용된 적도 있습니다. 이런 일은 회유합니다. 대개 그것은 혼돈의 결과입니다.
그 다음으로 가장 중요하게 생각해야 할 것은 세 가지 개념들인데 독 자연적 자기 긍정, 그것의 부정적 왜곡인 이기주의, 그리고 자기 긍정의 형태 곧 용납될 수 없음에도 불구하고 용납된 것에 근거한 자기 긍정 등입니다. 나는 이 개념들이 구별되어야 한다고 생각합니다.

Professor: Then how would your theology, in this respect, tie in with the Catholic emphasis on pride as the great problem in monastic discipline? In the lives of the saints you come across this problem of pride over and over again. As they proceed to become more virtuous or more faithful or more understanding, the element of pride keeps emerging to negate all that they think they have done. How does this problem of pride appear to you?
교수 : 그러면 이러한 면에서 박사님의 신학은 카톨릭 교회가 교만을 수도원 훈련의 큰 문제로 강조하는 것과 어떠한 관계를 맺으시겠습니까? 성자들의 생애를 보면, 교만의 문제가 거듭 등장하고 있습니다. 그들이 보다 덕스럽거나 신앙적이거나 또는 깊은 이해에 도달하게 될 때 교만의 요인은 그들이 쌓아 올렸다고 생각하는 공적 전체를 취소하려고 계속 나타나고 있습니다. 이 교만의 문제를 박사님은 어떻게 보십니까?

Saint and Sinner
성인과 죄인

Dr. Tillich: Now it has to be looked at in the light of the principle of forgiveness, or acceptance of the unacceptable. For me, this is very important, because Protestantism has no saints. Another difficult thing that immediately springs to mind, and which we could discuss at length, is the Protestant emphasis on the sinfulness of the justified person; the sinner is justified, not he who is perfect. "Grace accepts the sinner." The saints in Paul’s epistle — in his general address to the saints in the city — were far from any state of perfection, as the later chapters of the letters show. But they are saints. Why? Because they are accepted, by their "belongingness" to the church of Christ. They are not saints because they are good people. So I would say of this pride problem, as well as of the sex problem or the imagination problem: these are all temptations of the saints. Saints can be tempted. Saints are not good or perfect in that sense that they are superior to and above it all. I think the acknowledgment of this was a basic Protestant idea.
틸리히 : 우리는 교만의 문제를 용서의 원리나 또는 용납될 수 없는 자의 용납의 원리의 빛에서 보아야 하겠어요. 개신교에는 성인이 없다는 이유에서 나에게는 이 문제가 매우 중요하다고 생각됩니다. 지금 즉각적으로 나의 마음 속에 떠오르고 또한 우리가 장시간 토의할 수 있을 또 하나의 곤난한 문제는 개신교가 의인화된 인격(justified person)의 죄스러움을 강조하는 것입니다. 죄인이 의롭다고 인정은 받으나 완전하지는 않다는 것입니다. “은총이 죄인을 용납하기 때문입니다.” 바울의 편지 가운데 등장하는 성인들은 완전한 상태에서 먼 거리에 놓여있었습니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 그들은 성인이었습니다. 왜 그럴까요? 그들은 그리스도의 교회에 대한 그들의 종속성에 의하여 용납되었기 때문입니다. 그들은 선한 사람들이기 때문에 성인이 된 것은 결코 아닙니다.
그러므로 교만, (sex), 그리고 상상 등 이 모든 문제들은 성인들에게 유혹입니다. 성인들도 유혹당할 수 있습니다. 성인들도 유혹당할 수 있습니다. 성인들은 유혹들 가운데 어느 것을 초월한다는 의미에서 선하거나 완전하지 않습니다. 바로 이 점이 개신교의 근본 사상이라고 나는 생각합니다.

Professor: But the Catholic church doesn’t think of the saints as having been perfect in their Lives. St. Augustine, in his confessions, makes it clear how much of a sinner he was. Would the Catholic church hold that, nevertheless, in some way the saint reaches a state of consciousness in which there is a qualitative difference between himself and others? Not that he looks upon himself as any better than anyone else, but that at least he has reached a point in which the ordinary temptations of pride and the appetites are to some degree transcended?
교수 : 그러나 카톨릭 교회도 성인들이 삶에서 완전해 졌다고 생각하지는 않습니다. 성 어거스틴도 그의 참회록에서 자기가 어떠한 죄인임을 밝히고 있습니다. 그렇지만 카톨릭 교회는 성인이 어떤 방법으로든지 자기와 다른 사람 사이에는 질적 차이가 개재한다는 의식 상태에 도달한다고 주장하십니까? 그가 다른 사람보다 자기가 어떤 면에서 좀 낫다고 본다기보다도 최소한도 그는 교만과 욕망들의 평범한 유혹들을 어느 정도 초월한 시점에 도달하였다는 의미에서 말입니다.

Dr. Tillich: But that is not the case!
틸리히 : 그렇지만 카톨릭 교회가 사실상 주장하는 것은 그것과 다릅니다.

Professor: Father, would you care to comment on that?
교수 : 신부님, 이 문제에 관하여 한 마디 해 주시겠습니까?

Franciscan Father: Well I wouldn’t say that the saint would necessarily transcend all temptation — no. This is a complex thing. I would say, of course, that you would have to hold that the essence of sanctity is really the acceptance by God. In other words, it’s more God’s doing than the saints. I think you’d have to tilt the emphasis that way rather than toward the saint’s own works. I would say that it is definitely by the grace of God, by agape, that a saint is a saint. But there is this element of human co-operation, which is a tremendous logical problem — I know I can’t solve it, and greater minds than mine haven’t solved it. There is some element in the saint’s co-operation subsequent to, or consequent upon, God’s laying hold of him.
신부 : 저는 성인이 반드시 모든 유혹을 초월하였으리라고 말하고 싶지 않습니다. 이 문제는 매우 복잡합니다. 저는 성인의 본질은 실제로 신에 의한 용납이라고 말하고 싶습니다. 다시 말하면, 그것은 성인들의 행위라기보다는 차라리 신의 행위입니다. 저는 이 주장을 고수해야 한다고 생각합니다. 성인이 성인되는 것은 결정적으로 신의 은총 곧 아가페에 의하여 가능하게 됩니다. 그러나 여기에 인간의 측면에서 협동의 요인이 있습니다. 이것은 심오한 논리적 문제로서 저 자신이 그것을 해결할 수 없음은 물론, 위대한 사상가들도 그것을 해결 짓지 못하였습니다. 신이 그를 붙잡은 결과로서 성인의 협동 속에 어떤 요인이 개입되어 있음은 부정할 수 없는 사실입니다.

Professor: But regardless of how it is reached, do you recognize any qualitative difference between the saint and the layman?
교수 : 어떠한 방법으로 성인이 되든 간에 신부님은 성인과 평신도 사이에 질적 차이가 있다고 인정하십니까?

Franciscan Father: The layman can be a saint.
신부 : 평신도도 성인이 될 수 있습니다.

Professor: He could be.
교수 : 될 수 있군요.

Franciscan Father: Well, in fact many of them are. If I were Pope I’d canonize a number of lay people rather than some monks, I assure you.
신부 : 사실상 평신도 중에는 성인이 많습니다. 웃는 말이 아니라, 만일 제가 교황이라면 수도사들보다는 차라리 평신도들을 성렬(聖列)에 가입시키겠습니다.

Professor: Is there anything by which the term "saint" can have meaning, other than that of a nice man?
교수 :성인이라는 용어가 좋은 사람(a nice man)이라는 것 밖에 어떤 다른 의미가 있습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Oh, yes, the transcendence.
틸리히 : 물론이지요. 초월성이라는 뜻이 있습니다.
Franciscan Father: Yes, transcendence.
신부 : , 초월성이라는 것이 있습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Transparence is better than transcendence. Transparency or translucency to the divine.
틸리히 : 투명성이라는 말이 초월성보다 낫습니다. 신적인 것에 투명하다든지 또는 맑다는 말이지요.

Professor: Doesn’t Protestantism recognize this state of transparency?
교수 : 개신교는 이 투명성의 상태를 인정합니까?

Dr. Tillich: It would not deny it, but it would not apply it to some people. I would say that sometimes it happens to some people. Luther, for instance, was never considered to be anything like a saint, because he was always up and down, up and down, deep down near hell and then up again. And this is not a description of what is usually considered saintliness. In his down moments he was not transparent at all. I mean he himself felt it — that he was not transparent for others.
틸리히 : 개신교가 그것을 부정하지는 않습니다만, 어떤 이들에게는 그것이 적용되지 않을 것입니다. 예를 들면, 루터는 성인이라고 인정받지 못하였습니다. 그는 항시 지옥에까지 깊숙이 내려갔다가 다시 올라오곤 하였기 때문입니다. 따라서 이 상태는 우리가 보통 성인스러움이라고 간주하는 것과는 다릅니다. 그가 아래로 내려간 순간에는 전혀 투명하지 못하였습니다. 이 말은 루터 자신이 다른 사람들을 위하여 투명하지 못함을 느꼈다는 것입니다.

Franciscan Father: But I would still say that, in the sight of God, he could have been a saint. You see this recognition by the church is more or less of the perfect man, well-balanced. But it’s a human recognition; it’s not a divine recognition. Sainthood in the Catholic church means human recognition, which is, of course, supposed to follow after divine recognition. But there are many people who are divinely recognized and not humanly recognized.
신부 : 그러나 그는 신 앞에서 성인일 수 있었다고 말하고 싶습니다. 교회가 성인이라고 인정할 때는 어느 정도 균형이 잘 잡힌 완전한 사람을 말합니다. 그러나 이것은 어느 정도 균형이 잘잡힌 사람을 말합니다. 그러나 이것은 인간의 인정에 불과하지 신의 인정은 아닙니다. 카톨릭 교회에서 말하는 성인스러움은 인간의 인정을 의미하는 것으로서 신의 인정을 뒤 따르도록 예상되어 있습니다. 그러나 신에게는 인정 받았지만 인간에게는 인정 받지 못한 사람들이 많습니다.

Professor: We must then try to distinguish between Oriental concepts of the perfected or illumined individual and what the Christian church recognizes. Because in the Oriental tradition, as in the case of Buddha, there would be a stage in which the individual rises beyond temptation and transcends these human weaknesses. This would not be acceptable in Christian theology?
교수 : 그렇다면 우리는 여기서 동양에서 말하는 완전하게 된자나 또는 각성된 자의 개념과 기독교가 인정하는 것과를 구별해 보아야 될 것 같습니다. 왜냐하면 부처의 경우에서와 마찬가지로 동양의 전통에서는 개인이 유혹을 극복하고 인간의 나약성을 초월하는 단계가 있다고 하기 때문입니다. 기독교 신학에서 이것을 받아들일 수 있겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: No, it’s not Catholic, and it is certainly not Protestant.
틸리히 : 받아들일 수 없습니다. 그것은 카톨릭적인 것도 아니고 물론 개신교적인 것도 아닙니다.

Student: Is that perfection a continuing state, then? Once they reach it then they may never ——?
학생 : 그런데 완전이라는 것은 지속적 상태를 말합니까? 그 상태에 일단 도달하면 다시는 거기서 낙후하지 않습니까?

Professor: Yes, it would be continuing.
교수 : , 아마 지속적이겠지요.

Student: For how long?
학생 : 얼마나 오래 지속합니까?

Professor: It would be a permanent thing. It might not be recognized by the observer, but it would nevertheless be so; there would be no falling away once this was finally achieved. And the observer might see things which appeared to him as human weaknesses, but it would be held that, in truth, these were mere appearances, that Buddahood is a firm state from which there is no relapse.
교수 : 그것은 영구적일 것입니다. 관망자는 그것을 지각할 수 없을지도 모릅니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 그것은 어디까지나 영구적이며 한 번 그 상태에 이르면 다시는 떨어져 나가는 경우가 없을 것입니다. 따라서 관망자는 자기에게 인간의 나약성으로 보이는 사실들을 발견할지도 모르지만 그것은 밖에서 보이는 현상에 불과하고 부처스러움은 타락을 허용하지 않는 견고한 상태라는 주장입니다.

Franciscan Father: Isn’t there a difference between "falling away" and being tempted?
신부 : ‘떨어져 나간다’(falling away)는 것과 유혹 받는다는 것에는 차이가 있지 않을까요?

Professor: The temptation might be there, but it would not tempt.
교수 : 거기에 유혹이 존재할지도 모르겠습니다만, 그것이 유혹하지는 않을 것입니다.

Franciscan Father: Well, of course I make no distinction between temptation and sin. First, I think the saint struggles more and is tempted more than the nonsaint. In fact, I think you can hardly be a saint unless you are severely tempted. I would say right down to the moment——
신부 : 물론 저는 유혹과 죄를 구별하지 않습니다. 그러나 먼저 성인은 성인 아닌 사람보다 더 유혹당하고 내적으로 투쟁한다고 생각합니다. 사실상 사람이 유혹을 가혹하게 받지 않고는 성인이 되기 어렵다는 말입니다. 성인이 되는 바로 그 순간까지 말입니다.

Professor: Even St. John of the Cross is tempted right to the end? This is interesting then, because it would mark a difference between Oriental and Christian tradition.
교수 : 십자가의 성 요한은 심지어 마지막 순간까지 유혹당하지 않았습니까? 이것이 동양의 전통과 기독교 전통의 상이성을 제시한다고 생각하니 흥미 있는 문제입니다.

Franciscan Father: I would say that some saints naturally, by temperament, come to a time when such things don’t bother them. But that would not be God’s doing; it would be due to what I would call temperamental causes.
신부 : 어떤 성인들은 기질상 자연적으로 그런 사실들이 그들을 괴롭히지 않는 시점에 도달하리라고 봅니다. 이것은 신의 행위에 의한다기보다는 차라리 기질적 원인 때문일 것입니다.

Professor: But at any rate, nothing really has emerged here to distinguish the Catholic and the Protestant attitude toward perfection; they seem to be the same.
교수 : 그러나 여하간 완전에 대한 카톨릭의 태도와 개신교의 태도를 구별할 만한 것이 여기서 아무것도 부각되지 않았습니다. 결국 그들의 태도는 동일한 것 같습니다.

Franciscan Father: This might be somewhat true, but I would say, as a Catholic, that we would allow for more of an objective or ontological change in the person, from a sinful state to a just one — more so than in Protestantism, although that may be an oversimplification.
신부 : 그것이 어느 정도 사실일는지는 모르겠습니다. 그러나 제가 카톨릭교인으로서 말하고 싶은 것은, 이것이 지나친 단순화일는지는 모르나, 카톨릭 교회는 개신교에 비하여 죄스러운 상태에서 의로운 상태로 전향함에 있어서 그 인격 속에 객관적 또는 존재론적 변화가 있음을 더 인정하고 들어갑니다.

Dr. Tillich: Yes, I think I would agree with you. The idea of infused grace has something to do with it. Calvinism is in some way in between. In Calvinism there is a continuous way up, and this has had important consequences. The Calvinist "elected" is a very dangerous type. He is the type who is aware of his own "election" and so on. He is really dangerous, because this involves a condemning attitude toward all others. And I would always prefer a Catholic saint to a "fully developed" Calvinist or Lutheran, because of the Calvinist ununderstanding harshness, and indifference. For if we are not elected, it does not matter what he does to us. This is a caricature, of course, but it is something we all have experienced. And I believe, for instance, that the South African situation is a result of the selection-election consciousness of the Dutch Calvinists who had the feeling: "God didn’t bless the Negroes; we are the blessed ones; we are the elected ones. And so we have the right to rule over them." Now, these ideas operate today deep in the theological underground. But they are there and have tremendous consequences, even in their secularized form.
틸리히 : 나는 신부님의 말씀에 동의하고 싶습니다. 주입된 은총에 대한 개념은 그것과 연관성을 지니고 있습니다. 칼빈주의는 어떤 중간적 입장을 취하고 있는 것 같습니다. 칼빈주의는 계속적 상승을 주장하는데 이것은 중대한 결과를 낳았습니다. ‘선택 받은’(elected) 칼빈주의자는 매우 위험스러운 형태입니다. 자기 자신의 피택을 의식하는 사람은 이 형태에 속합니다. 그가 대단히 위험스럽다는 이유는 바로 그가 의식이 다른 모든 사람들을 저주하는 태도를 내포하는 데 있습니다. 이렇듯 칼빈주의자의 몰이해적 잔인성과 무관심 때문에 나는 언제나 완전하게 발견된칼빈주의자나 루터주의자보다는 차라리 카톨릭의 성인을 더 좋아합니다. 왜냐하면 만일 우리가 선택 받지 않았다면, 그가 우리에게 무엇을 하든 관계 없기 때문입니다. 이것은 물론 만화 같은 이야기가 될지 모르겠습니다만, 그것이 우리 모두가 경험한 바라고 하겠습니다. 예를 들자면, 남 아프리카의 상황은 화란 칼빈주의자들의 선택-피택 의식의 결과라고 나는 믿습니다. 그들은 신은 니그로들을 축복하지 않았다. 우리는 축복 받은 자들이요 선택받은 자들이다. 그러므로 우리는 그들을 지배할 권리가 있다고 느꼈습니다. 오늘날 이러한 관념들이 신학적 밑바탕 깊이에서 작용하고 있습니다. 따라서 그들은 거기에 존재하면서 심지어는 그것들의 세속적 형태에서마저 가공할만한 결과를 산출하고 있습니다.

Professor: They remain in the subconscious?
교수 : 그들이 잠재 의식 속에 남아 있다는 말씀입니까? 
Dr. Tillich: Yes!
틸리히 : , 그렇습니다.

More on the Uniqueness of Christ 
그리스도의 유일성
Professor: Our fourth question reads: I have the strong impression that Dr. Tillich believes in a far more concrete Christ than his philosophy would lead us to believe. I personally cannot believe that the fervor of his preaching is based on nothing more than the Christ picture. The only case in which Jesus the Christ could be considered utterly unique is if he was what the Nicene Creed says he was, "God of God, incarnate." Otherwise, he was at most simply the best of a group of semilegendary prophets. Of course one may abandon the claim to uniqueness, but this is precisely what Dr. Tillich refuses to do.
교수 : 넷째 질문은 다음과 같습니다. 즉 틸리히 박사님은 그의 철학이 우리에게 믿도록 종용하는 것보다 훨씬 구체적 그리스도를 신앙한다는 강한 인상을 저는 받습니다. 그런데 그의 설교의 정열이 그리스도 상()에 기초한다는 사실을 저는 개인적으로 믿을 수 없습니다. 예수 그리스도의 전적인 유일성이 고려될 수 있는 유일한 경우는 니케아 신조가 언급하는 바와 같이 과연 그가 신의 신이요, 육신을 입으신 분이었느냐 하는 데 있습니다. 그렇지 않다면, 그는 고작해서 반()전설적인 예언자들의 집단에서 나온 최상의 인물에 불과할 것입니다. 물론 어떤 이는 유일성에 대한 주장을 포기할지도 모릅니다. 그러나 틸리히 박사님은 분명히 포기를 거절하십니다.

Dr. Tillich: You say "Christ-picture." Now that term is misleading. On this subject the second volume of my Systematic Theology has to be read carefully. Every word
there answers questions like that. For example, what image do we have of Lincoln, who is a symbol of the best in American life? We do have an image of him, although none of us can see him. We have several photographs, which — thank Heaven — we do not have of Jesus. But in any case, we have an image of Lincoln, or rather images. And these images stem from many sources — the writings of Mr. Sandburg and others, for example, or certain historical records or speeches.
In the same way, we receive images of Jesus as found in the Gospels, and very different images at that. Now the difference between the first three Gospels and the Fourth Gospel is so great that scholars have discounted the latter as an historical source for almost two hundred years. But this does not mean that they discount the Fourth Gospel. On the contrary, it is the Gospel in which many of the questions that arose in the early church were answered in a way that is valid for us even today. So I like to preach the words of the Fourth Gospel, but I do not imagine for one moment that the man Jesus of Nazareth could have spoken in this language, which is 100 per cent unlike the language of the first Gospels.
Among the many images of Jesus that we have, Mark gives quite a different one from Luke. And in Paul there is another. But we should not be disturbed by these differences; for they show that reality of Jesus was received and accepted historically in manifold ways.
This continued through all church history. We depend most on the first witnesses, but their accounts are so inexhaustible in depth that innumerable images kept coming up during the history of the church. And all the images point to the reality. Now we know this reality, so far as concrete traits are concerned, in no other way than through these images. If we wish to go beyond that fact, we can only say that we have — as Paul said once — a Spirit. For we do not know him any longer as flesh. We have only the image, the reflection in those who did know him. But we also have him as Spirit, which means that his spiritual presence, as it appeared in the resurrection visions, is something that transcends the historical image. These two statements I can make.
Now beyond this, we cannot look for historical support, because there is no exact historical knowledge. We can only point to the historical evidence as far as it leads us. And does not lead us very far in terms of probability, as the innumerable different images modern scholars have tried reconstruct demonstrate. This is part of the situation.
But the spiritual presence, which is not a substantial presence, is something else. And there is a uniqueness expressed in the resurrection stories. If you read my second volume carefully, you will find there many ideas on this subject that are unusual but not heretical — among them that the resurrection is the manifestation of the victory over death. Over death as the ultimate enemy, as Paul calls it. And this certainly can be experienced, and was experienced by the disciples who had left Jerusalem and escaped to Galilee, and were in absolute distress and despair amidst the ruins of their hopes. And there they had those experiences which I Corinthians 15 describes. That is for me the Easter story. But the poetic transformation of their experience, the poetic symbolic transformation, is something that has no historical basis, but rather a high symbolic value.
틸리히 : 학생은 그리스도 상’(Christ-picture)이라는 말을 사용하였습니다. 그 용어는 오해를 일으킬 가능성이 짙은 것입니다. 이 주제에 대하여는 나의 조직 신학2권을 주의 깊게 읽으셔야 합니다. 거기에 있는 말 한마디 한마디가 모두 그러한 질문들에 대답하고 있습니다. 예를 들면, 우리는 미국 생활에 있어서 최상의 상징인 링컨에 대하여 어떤 이미지를 가지고 있습니까? 우리는 아무도 그를 볼 수는 없지만 그에 대한 이미지를 가진다는 말입니다. 다행인지 모르나, 우리는 예수의 사진은 없지만 링컨은 사진은 몇 장 가지고 있습니다. 그러나 우리는 링컨에 대한 여러 가지 이미지를 가지고 있습니다. 이 이미지들은, 예를 들면, 샌드버그씨 및 다른 분들의 저서들, 또한 모종의 역사적 기록이나 연설문과 같은 많은 자료에서 생겨집니다.
이와 꼭 같이 우리는 복음서에서 여러 이미지들을 발견하게 되며 그들은 상이성을 드러내고 있습니다. 처음 세 복음서들과 제4복음서의 차이성이 대단히 심하기 때문에 학자들은 이 후자도 역사적 자료에 근거하였다는 사실을 근 200년 동안이나 부정하였습니다. 그러나 이것은 그들이 제4복음서 자체를 부정하였다는 뜻은 아닙니다. 이와는 반대로, 그것은 초대 교회에서 제기된 많은 문제들에 대하여 오늘날 우리에게마저 타당한 방법으로 해답을 제시한 복음입니다. 그래서 나는 제4복음서의 말씀으로 설교하기를 좋아합니다. 그렇지만 나사렛의 인간 예수가 처음 세 복음서의 언어와의 100퍼센트 다른 제4복음서의 용어로써 말할 수 있었으리라고 생각하지 않습니다.
우리가 가지고 있는 예수에 대한 여러 이미지 가운데 마가가 주는 것은 누가의 것과 판이하게 다릅니다. 그리고 바울의 것은 또 다릅니다. 그러나 우리는 이 상이성 때문에 동요되어서는 안됩니다. 이 상이성은 예수의 실재가 역사적으로 다양한 방법으로 인식되고 용납되었음을 보여 주기 때문입니다.
이것은 교회 역사 전체를 통하여 계속되었습니다. 우리는 처음 증언자들에게 의존할 도리밖에 없습니다. 그러나 그들의 이해는 그 깊이에 있어서 하도 심오하기 때문에 무수한 이미지들이 교회 역사의 과정에서 계속 부각되었습니다. 그러나 그 모든 이미지들은 실재를 지적하고 있습니다. 이제 우리는 이 이미지들을 거치지 않고 다른 방법으로써는 그 실재를 인식하지 못합니다. 만일 우리가 그 사실을 초월하기 원한다면, 우리는 바울이 한때 말한 것처럼 영(a spirit)을 가졌다고 말할 수밖에 없습니다. 우리는 이 이상 그를 육적으로 인식하지 못하기 때문입니다. 우리에게는 이미지와 그를 직접 안 사람들의 증언을 반성하는 일이 주어졌습니다. 그러나 우리는 또한 그를 영으로 모시고 있는데 이것은 그의 부활의 비전에서 나타난 영적 현존이 역사적 이미지를 초월하는 무엇임을 의미합니다. 나는 이렇게 두 가지 사실을 말하고 싶습니다.
그러므로 우리가 이것을 초월하여 역사적 지원을 요구할 수 없는 것은 확실한 역사적 지식이 없기 때문입니다. 우리는 역사적 증거가 우리에게 제시하여 주는 만큼 그 증거를 지적할 수 밖에 없습니다. 그것은 마치 현대 학자들이 재건하고자 시도한 각양의 무수한 이미지들이 시사하는 것처럼 확률에서 볼 때 너무도 많은 제약이 앞에 놓여 있습니다. 이것이 문제의 한 부분입니다.
그러나 실질적 현존이 아닌 정신적 현존은 다른 것입니다. 그리고 부활의 이야기에 표현된 유일성이 있음을 볼 수 있습니다. 만일 여러분이 나의 조직 신학2권을 주의 깊게 읽어보면, 이 주제에 관하여 이단적이 아니면서도 특이한 개념들을 많이 발견하리라고 봅니다. 그 가운데 부활이 죽음에 대한 승리의 현현이라는 것이 하나입니다. 바울이 말한 바와 같이, 부활은 궁극적 원수인 죽음을 극복한 것입니다. 우리가 오늘 이것을 경험할 수 있을 뿐만 아니라, 예루살렘에서 떠나 갈릴리로 도피하여 모든 희망을 상실한 가운데 말할 수 없는 번뇌와 절망에 사로잡혔던 예수의 제자들도 경험하였습니다. 여기서 그들은 고린도 전서 15장에 기록된 경험들을 맛보게 되었습니다. 바로 이것이 부활의 이야기라고 나는 봅니다. 그러나 그들의 경험의 시적 변형 곧 시적, 상징적 변형은 역사적 근거는 없지만 보다 고차적인 상징적 가치를 지니고 있는 것입니다.

Professor: Perhaps we could put his question it different way by asking, "Would you say that the uniqueness of Christ is essential to the doctrine of Christianity? If Christ is not unique, is Christianity thereby vitiated in any way?"
교수 : 우리가 그 학생의 질문을 약간 다른 방법으로 물어도 좋을지 모르겠습니다. 박사님은 그리스도의 유일성이 기독교 교리의 본질적인 것이라고 생각하십니까? 만일 그리스도가 유일하지 않다면, 이로써 기독교는 어떤 면으로나 손상을 입게 되는 것입니까?”

Dr. Tillich: Now this word "unique" is a very difficult concept; it has many meanings. First of all, every historical person is unique. Everybody in this room is unique. And one cannot be exchanged for somebody else. In Christian thought, for example, God sees us as uniquely valuable creations or potentialities, or ideas in him, in his mind, or in his being. And this uniqueness, of course, is the universal uniqueness of human beings. That is one meaning of the word. Every historical event has this unique character.
But Christianity goes beyond this and speaks of a unique relationship to God, which is expressed in different concepts and symbols. I would say perhaps that the symbol which gave Jesus his second name — Christ, "the Anointed One" — is the most important symbol. It means "he who brings the new aeon." And the symbol Son of Man is very similar; it also means the "heavenly figure" that comes down and brings, in the face of all enemies, the new empire, a new aeon. Then the "throne of God" symbol is another word for the intimate relationship, the unique relationship of undisturbed unity. And this is indeed the same idea I usually express by the statement that here is the center of history, where the highest human potentiality is fulfilled — potentialities of unbroken unity with God, and consequently of agape. Beyond this I would not go.
I would say that the protective conceptualization in the Nicene Creed was really a protection against the very dangerous theology which made him a half-god. That was really dangerous, and therefore Christianity held that he was full God and full man. This means that God’s image was not distorted in him; not merely half-true, as in all the half-gods that represent only one side of God. But the idea of a metaphysical son, or things like that — they are simply pagan incarnation ideas. All pagan gods, and also Indian gods, have incarnations. It is not peculiar to Christians. The special concept in Christianity is that a part of the divine, the heart of the divine, appeared in him. So I would say that from both sides — from God’s side his heart, namely his agape, and from man’s side his full humanity — the divine appeared in the Christ.
Full humanity implies the image of God. Only in this way can I interpret Christian symbols.
But just remember, we are not obliged to take all the conceptual ideas of a Hellenistic world as solutions now to be accepted by the Romanic and Slavic nations, and Germanic nations, and Central African nations, or by the Japanese, and so on.
틸리히 : ‘유일한’(unique) 이란 말은 매우 어려운 개념입니다. 그것은 많은 의미를 지니고 있습니다. 무엇보다 먼저 역사적 인격은 각각 유일합니다. 이 교실에 있는 개개인은 유일합니다. 그러므로 아무도 다른 사람과 교환될 수 없습니다. 예를 들면, 기독교 사상에 있어서 신은 우리를 그의 정신 및 존재 안에 있는 유일하고 가치 있는 피조물들, 가능성들 또는 이념들이라고 본다는 것입니다. 따라서 이 유일성은 물론 인간의 보편적 유일성을 말합니다. 이상이 그 낱말의 의미 가운데 하나입니다. 역사적 사건은 각기 이와 같은 유일한 성격을 띠고 있습니다.
그러나 기독교는 이것을 넘어서서 신과의 유일한 관계를 언급하는데 이 관계는 각양한 개념들과 상징들로 표현되어 있습니다. 아마도 예수의 둘째 이름 곧 그리스도, ‘기름 부은 받은 자라는 상징이 가장 중요한 것이 아닌가 합니다. 그것은 세 기원(紀元)을 초래하는 자라는 뜻입니다. 인자(人子, Son of Man)라는 상징도 그것과 매우 흡사합니다. 이것은 위로부터 내려와서 모든 적수들을 물리치고 새 왕국과 새 기원을 수립하는 하늘의 인물을 뜻하기도 합니다. 그 다음에는 신의 보좌’(throne of God)라는 상징이 있는데 이것은 완전무결한 일치의 유일한 관계를 말합니다. 그런데 이것은 실상 내가 통상적으로 여기에 역사의 중심이 있다고 시사하는 개념과 꼭 같은 것인데 바로 여기서 지고한 인간의 가능성(신과의 파손되지 않은 일치의 가능성들, 따라서 아가페의 가능성들)이 성취됩니다. 나는 이 이상 넘어서고 싶지 않습니다.
니케아 신조에 나타난 방어적 개념화는 그리스도를 반신(a half-god)으로 만들어 놓은 극히 위험한 신학에 대결하려는 방어진이었습니다. 그런 신학은 참으로 위험스러운 것이었습니다. 그래서 기독교는 그리스도가 완전한 신이요 또한 완전한 인간임을 고수하였습니다. 이 말은 신의 이미지가 그에게서 왜곡되지 않았음을 뜻합니다. 그러나 형이상학적 아들에 대한 개념, 또는 그것과 흡사한 부류에 속하는 것들은 이교적 수육(受肉)개념에 불과합니다. 모든 이교의 신들과 그리고 인도교의 신들마저 수육한다는 것입니다. 그러므로 수육은 기독교인에게만 특유한 것은 아닙니다. 기독교에서 특수하다고 할 만한 개념을 구태여 들어 본다면, 신의 일부분 곧 신의 마음이 그리스도 안에 나타났다는 것입니다. 그래서 나는 신의 측면에서 그의 마음 곧 아가페와, 인간의 측면에서 그의 완전한 인간성, 이 두 측면에서 볼 대 신이 그리스도 안에 나타났다고 말하고 싶습니다.
완전한 인간성이란 신의 이미지를 의미합니다. 나는 이러한 방법으로만 기독교의 상징들을 해석할 수 있습니다.
그러나 우리가 한 가지 기억해 두어야 할 것은 희랍 문화에서 온 이 모든 개념들을 해결책으로 보고 지금 로마나 슬라브계열의 민족들과 게르만 계열의 민족들과 중앙 아프리카의 민족들 또한 일본인들이 마땅히 받아들여야 할 책임이 있다고 간주하지 말아야 할 것입니다.

Professor: You described the unique relationship of Jesus the Christ to God. Supposing it were said that this relationship was also characteristic of the Buddhist’s Buddha, or of the Christian St. John of the Cross, and others? What effect would this have upon Christianity as a religion?
교수 : 박사님께서는 신에 대한 예수 그리스도의 유일한 관계를 들어 말씀하셨습니다. 그러나 가령 이러한 관계가 불교인과 부처, 또는 기독교인과 십자가의 성 요한, 그 밖의 다른 이들과의 관계에 있어서도 특유한 것이라고 합시다. 그렇다면 이것이 일개의 종교인 기독교에게 어떠한 영향을 끼칠 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: These relationships are, of course, slightly different. St. John of the Cross was dependent on Christian traditions; he was in the Christian tradition. He does not have the uniqueness of originality~ and that makes him different to begin with. Nobody has ever believed in St. John of the Cross; they have learned from him. But the power to make himself the object of faith, the representative of the divine for us — that is different. We always look through this countenance of Jesus, as he appears in the images of the New Testament, so long as we stand in a Christian relationship.
Now the uniqueness of Buddha is different. I believe that Buddha is unique, although the Indians themselves do not believe it. They are not historically minded. They only say that he is perhaps the greatest manifestation of the Buddha spirit. That is, at least, the way the Japanese Buddhists talked to me. But I would say that there is a uniqueness in Buddha; this is a unique relationship to God, the relationship of "the illuminated." The question then is to compare the value of these two unique forms. I am much more historically minded than Buddhists with whom I have talked. With respect to Buddha, there are no really significant historical conditions in our Christian sense. But we do have, in the situation of Buddha, his going out in glory very much as described in Philippians II — in "heavenly glory," though with Buddha it is "royal glory." The symbolism is very similar. And then there is Buddha going down and denying himself entrance to Nirvana for the sake of his brothers. There are other analogies. But there are also differences. Here are two really unique phenomena. And Mohammed is another. We have to evaluate each as such.
틸리히 : 이 관계들은 물론 약간씩 다릅니다. 십자가의 성 요한은 기독교 전통에 의존되어 있었을 뿐만 아니라 그 전통 안에 있었습니다. 따라서 그에게는 독창성의 유일한 면이 결핍되어 있었습니다. 우선 이것이 그의 다른 점입니다. 여태까지 십자가의 성 요한을 신앙한 사람은 하나도 없고, 사람들은 다만 그에게서 배웠을 따름입니다. 그러나 자기 자신을 신앙의 대상 곧 우리를 위한 신의 대변자로 만드는 힘, 이것은 다른 것입니다.
우리가 기독교적인 관계를 지속하는 한, 신약성서의 이미지들 속에 나타나는 예수의 모습을 통하여 언제나 그 힘을 찾아보게 됩니다.
부처의 유일성은 또 다릅니다. 나 자신은 부처가 유일하다고 믿습니다만, 인도인들은 그렇게 믿지 않습니다. 그들에게는 역사적 의식이 없기 때문입니다. 그들은 그가 부처 정신의 가장 위대한 시현(示顯)이라고 말할 뿐입니다. 이것이 최소한 일본의 불교인들이 나에게 말하여 준 그대로입니다. 그러나 부처에게는 유일성이 있다고 나는 말하고 싶습니다. 이것은 신에 대한 하나의 유일한 관계, 곧 도를 깨닫는(, the illuminated)관계입니다. 그러면 문제는 이 두 유일한 형태의 가치를 비교하는 것입니다. 나 자신은 나와 이야기한 불교인들보다 훨씬 역사적 의식이 많다고 생각합니다. 우리가 기독교적인 견지에서 볼 때 부처에게는 참으로 중대한 역사적 조건들이 없었다고 하겠습니다. 그러나 부처의 상황에서는 빌립보 2장에 기록된 하늘의 영광과는 다르지만 그는 왕실의 영광을 포기하였다는 것입니다. 이 상징주의는 매우 근사한 바가 있습니다. 다음으로 부처는 그의 형제들을 위하여 몸소 하강하여 열반(涅槃, Nirvana)에 들어가기를 스스로 부인하였다는 것입니다. 이 밖에도 유사성들이 있습니다만, 거기에도 역시 다른 점들이 있습니다. 그리스도와 부처는 참으로 유일한 두 현상입니다. 모하메트는 다른 부류에 속합니다. 우리는 둘을 각각 평가해야 될 줄로 압니다.

Professor: Is it possible, Dr. Tillich, to leave the historical, and to make the theoretical assumption that there could be another person in the same relationship to God as that of Jesus the Christ? If this is assumed, does it in any way affect Christianity? Or does Christianity depend upon the assumption, historical or theoretical or theological, that Jesus the Christ alone had this relationship to God?
교수 : 틸리히 박사님, 역사적인 사실을 떠나서 이론적 가정을 근거로 하여 어떤 인물이 예수 그리스도가 신과 맺었던 관계와 동일한 관계를 맺을 수 있으리라고 주장할 수 있습니까? 이것이 상정된다면, 이것이 어떤 모양으로 기독교에게 영향을 끼치는 것입니까? 그렇지 않으면 기독교는 역사적이든 이론적이든 신학적이든 간에, 예수 그리스도만이 신과 유일한 관계를 맺었다는 가정에 의존하는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Jesus had a spiritual relationship to the divine which was uninterrupted, or always retained through all his temptations. I take seriously the temptations of Jesus; they are not seeming temptations. Orthodox theologians deny this, because they think that it is not possible to say a divine being on earth was seriously tempted. But if that were the case, he would not have been a human being. Anyhow I do not speak of Jesus alone. I speak of the event in which the conditions, as Paul says, were fulfilled at this moment in time. It could not happen again. It happened then and there, and has become the symbol of Christianity. Now the question as to whether someone else could be Jesus-like in that situation can hardly be answered. The event itself, like every event, cannot be repeated. There cannot be a repetition of the whole constellation of events involved, and there cannot be a repetition of the acceptance of him as the Messiah, because nobody would use that word today for anything. So the whole situation is a "providential event" which, as such, is unique. Even if another Christian were to reach a relationship to God of this same intimacy and uninterruptedness, he would do so as a consequence of this earlier event. Like St. John of the Cross, he could not be the Messiah. For that name belongs to the event. I think it unfortunate, therefore, to deviate here from the biblical tradition, which never isolates Jesus of Nazareth from history. That is the worst sort of liberal theology.
틸리히 : 예수는 신과 간단 없는 정신적 관계를 맺었고 또한 그가 모든 유혹을 겪을 때에도 항상 그것을 유지하였습니다. 나는 예수가 당한 유혹들을 심각하게 취급합니다. 그들은 가상적인 유혹들이 아닙니다. 정통주의 신학자들은 이것을 부정하는데 그 이유인즉 지상에 있는 신적 존재가 혹독하게 유혹당하였다고 말할 수 없다고 그들은 생각하기 때문입니다. 만일 사실이 그렇다면, 그는 인간이 아니었을 것입니다. 어쨌든 나는 예수 하나만을 들어 말하는 것은 아닙니다. 나는 바울이 말한 바와 같이 시간 안에 이 계기에서 그 여건들을 성취시킨 사건에 대하여 말합니다. 그것은 다시 일어날 수 없습니다. 그것은 그 때 거기서 일어났고 또한 기독교의 상징이 되었습니다. 어떤 다른 인물이 그 상황에서 예수와 같은 존재가 될 수 있었겠는가 하는 질문은 대답을 기대하기가 어려울 듯 합니다. 그 사건 자체는 모든 사건과 마찬가지로 반복될 수 없습니다. 더 나아가서, 사건들의 성좌 전체가 반복되기란 더욱 불가능합니다. 그리고 지금은 아무도 메시야라는 말을 사용하지 않기 때문에 그를 메시야로 받아들인다는 것도 반복될 수 없습니다. 그러므로 전체 상황은 하나의 섭리적 사건이며 이것은 유일한 것입니다. 설사 어떤 기독교인이 그리스도와 동일한 신과의 관계를 맺으려고 노력한다손 치더라도, 그의 행위는 처음 사건의 결말에 해당될 것입니다. 그는 십자가의 성 요한과 마찬가지로 메시야일 수가 없는 것입니다. 왜냐하면 그 이름은 그것이 종속되어 있는 사건이 따로 있기 때문입니다. 그러므로 우리가 여기서 나사렛의 예수를 역사로부터 고립시키지 않는 성서의 전통에서 탈선하는 것은 불행한 처사라고 생각됩니다. 그것은 아마도 최악의 자유 신학일 것입니다.

Christianity and Western Civilization
기독교와 서구 문명

Professor: Then you would say that Christianity is definitely historical and cannot be understood outside of the historical context.
교수 : 그러시다면 박사님은 기독교가 결정적으로 역사적이요, 역사적 유대성을 떠나서는 이해될 수 없다는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: Oh, no. It cannot.
틸리히 : 물론 그것은 불가능합니다.

Professor: You just cannot talk about a theoretical Christianity?
교수 : 이론적인 기독교에 대하여는 언급조차 할 수 없다는 말씀인가요?

Dr. Tillich: Christianity separated from Jesus as the Christ is an impossibility. So it is not something that can happen again and again, like the incarnation of the Buddha spirit in some forms of Buddhism. It is history as a whole that sent this Christ to us. This is the Christian historical consciousness.
틸리히 : 그리스도인 예수를 떠나서는 기독교가 불가능합니다. 그러므로 그것은 마치 부처의 정신이 불교의 여러 형태로 수육되듯이 거듭 발생될 수 있는 성질의 것이 아닙니다. 우리에게 이 그리스도를 보낸 것은 역사 전체입니다. 이것이 바로 기독교적 역사 의식입니다.

Professor: So, as members of Western civilization, we cannot avoid existentially, any of us, our relationship to that event?
교수 : 그러니까 우리는 누구나 서양 문명의 일원으로서 그 사건에 대한 관계를 실존적으로 회피할 수 없다는 것입니까?

Dr. Tillich: No, we cannot.
틸리히 : , 그렇습니다.

Professor: Since the whole of Western civilization depends upon that event?
교수 : 서양 문명 전체가 그 사건에 의존하기 때문이겠지요?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, although this dependence isn’t necessarily an objective fact that can be observed by the historian. It is an existential dependence. In order to be actually Christian, I would say that one’s relationship to this event is a presupposition. Otherwise, we could live with Christian values, but could not be called, in a true sense, Christian. I mean, we could be religious, much better even than most Christians, but that is beside the point. Because of the particular way in which the Christian community was established, nobody can be Christian in isolation from the historical event, or in isolation from the Church — or better the community (I call it the spiritual community), for outside of this we cannot be called Christian. The community is related to this one event.
You see, the whole syndrome, as one says today, is absolutely different. It is definitively an historical one. It begins, therefore, in mythological terms, with the Creation, with Paradise, with the Fall, with Noah, and proceeds to a particular historical end. It is a completely different image of the structure of reality from what I find, in this respect, in ancient Greece or in India.
Of course, we can give up this Western imagery. But it is the one point which I would not surrender, for I believe it to be a new and decisive thing, operative behind the dynamism of the whole Western world. It is the understanding of the meaning of history, and not simply the circular, meaningless repetition of it.
틸리히 : , 비록 그 의존성이 필연적으로 역사가가 관찰할 수 있는 객관적 사실이 아니라 해도 말입니다. 그것은 실존적 의존성입니다. 실제로 기독교인이 되기 위해서는 이 사건과의 관계가 전제되어야 한다고 봅니다. 그렇지 않으면 설혹 우리가 기독교적 가치들을 가지고 생활한다고 해도 참다운 의미에서 기독자라고 할 수 없습니다. 물론 우리는 대부분의 기독자들보다도 훨씬 종교적일 수 있습니다. 그러나 이것이 여기서 문제의 초점은 아닙니다. 기독교 공동체가 형성된 특수한 방법 때문에 아무도 그 역사적 사건이나 교회나 또는 더 좋은 용어를 빌린다면 공동체(나는 이것을 정신적 공동체라고 부릅니다.)와 유리되어서는 기독자가 될 수 없습니다. 왜냐하면 우리는 이 공동체 밖에서는 기독자라 불리울 수가 없기 때문입니다. 이 공동체는 그 하나의 사건과 직결되어 있습니다.
기독교는 결정적으로 역사적 종교입니다. 그것은 신화론적 어휘를 사용하는데 창조에서 출발하여 낙원, 타락, 노아, 그리고 특별한 역사적 종말로 옮아 갑니다. 내가 보기에는 이런 실재의 구조에 대한 이미지가 고대 희랍이나 인도에서 찾아볼 수 있는 것들과 전적으로 판이하다는 것입니다.
우리는 물론 이 서양적 이미지를 포기해 버릴 수 있습니다. 그러나 나는 이 점만은 양보하고 싶지 않습니다. 그 이유는 그 이미지가 전 서구의 기동력 배후에서 작용하는 새롭고 결정적인 요인이라고 믿기 때문입니다. 그것은 역사의 윤회 곧 무의미한 반복이 아니라, 역사의 의미에 대한 이해입니다.

Professor: Then it is impossible to escape it, since it is the situation?
교수 : 상황이 그렇다면, 그것을 도피하기란 불가능하지 않겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Oh, we can escape anything. We can say, "I don’t care." And many people do.
틸리히 : 우리는 무엇이나 도피할 수 있습니다. “나는 상관 없다고 우리는 말할 수 있습니다. 또한 많은 사람들이 그렇게 합니다.

Professor: But if, nevertheless, we are still living in that situation?
교수 : 그렇지만 우리가 그 상황 속에서 여전히 살아가고 있다면 그렇게 되겠습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Yes, then we cannot escape historically, but we can internally; we can cut it off from our own experience.
틸리히 : 그렇다면 우리는 역사적으로 도피할 수 없지만 내면적으로는 가능하겠지요. 우리가 그것을 자신의 경험에서 단절해 버릴 수 있으니까 말입니다.

Professor: Is one likely to find — I hate to use this word — happiness? Perhaps you can suggest a better word?
교수 : 그렇게 되면 우리가 행복을- 저는 이 말을 쓰기 좋아하지 않습니다만- 발견할 것 같습니다. 혹시 박사님께서 더 좋은 말을 암시해 주시면 고맙겠습니다.

Dr. Tillich: Blessedness.
틸리히 : 축복(blessdness)이라는 말이 어떨까요?

Professor: All right. Is one living in Western Society likely to find, or is it possible for such a one to find, "blessedness," as you call it, without becoming Christian in the active sense, or by attempting an identification with Islam or Zen Buddhism or other movements?
교수 : 좋습니다. 그러면 서구 사회에서 생존하는 사람이 적극적인 의미에서 기독자가 되지 않고서도, 또는 회회교나 선불교나 그 밖의 종교들을 자기의 것으로 택해 봄으로써 박사님께서 암시하신 축복을 발견할 수 있을 것 같습니까?

Dr. Tillich: Now this I cannot answer. By blessedness I do not mean going to Heaven or hell, or something like that. That is not the point. I mean the fulfillment of the highest human potentialities, including the relationship to God as a basis. And then I would add that probably, according to individual experience, the inner blessedness of many non-conscious Christians is much higher than that of many Christians. The decisive thing here is the desire, the inner relationship to the ultimate that baptizes you, or takes you into the spiritual community, which is universal. And through that, in any terms, we can experience fulfillment. We know this to be true of innumerable individual cases.
But here I think I am absolutely at one with the Catholic thinking people of today and the hierarchy (most of them), who know that with respect to individual salvation we ourselves cannot make any judgment. That is a matter for itself.
But if we speak in objective terms, in terms of what happened in this event which we call the basis of Christianity — not Jesus, which is perhaps Jesus as the Christ, but much more involved even than that — I would say that Christianity as an event is superior, because of certain criteria, to the Buddha event, or to the events on which other world religions are based. And the main criterion for me is agape.
틸리히 : 나는 이 문제에 대답할 수 없습니다. 나는 축복을 말할 때 천당이나 지옥에 가는 따위를 뜻하지 않습니다. 그것은 내 말의 초점이 아닙니다. 차라리 나는 지고한 인간적 가능성의 성취를 의미하며, 그 근거로서 신에 대한 관계를 내포합니다. 그 다음으로 부언하고 싶은 것은, 개인적인 경험에 의하면 많은 무의식적 기독자들의 내적 축복이 많은 기독자들의 것에 비해 엄청나게 풍요하다는 것입니다. 여기서 결정적 사실은 궁극에 대한 갈망 또는 내면적 관계로서 이것이 여러분들을 세례주거나 또는 보편적인 정신적 공동체로 인도합니다. 우리는 이것을 통하여 성취가 무엇임을 경험할 수 있습니다. 우리는 이것이 무수한 개인의 경우에도 사실임을 압니다.
그러나 나는 여기서 개인의 구원에 관하여는 우리 스스로가 어떤 판단도 내릴 수 없음을 인지하는 오늘의 카톨릭 사상가들과 성직자들의 의견에 절대적으로 일치한다고 생각합니다.
그러나 우리가 만일 객관적인 면, 곧 우리가 소위 기독교의 근거라고 하는 이 사건에서 무엇이 야기되었는가 하는 면에서 말해 본다면-여기서는 그리스도인 예수가 아니라 보다 많은 것이 함축되어 있습니다.- 한 사건으로서의 기독교는 어떤 기준 때문에 부처의 사건이나 또는 그 밖의 세계 종교들이 근거하고 있는 사건들에 비하여 우월하다고 하겠습니다. 내가 보는 견지에서는 최고의 기준이 아가페입니다.

Professor: Then you would say that in a real historical sense, Christianity bears a unique relationship to Western man, but you would also say that it is possible to find fulfillment without any formal identification with Christianity.
교수 : 그렇다면 참으로 역사적인 의미에서 기독교는 서양인과 유일한 관계를 맺고 있으면서도 또한 기독교와의 어떤 형식적 유대 없이도 성취는 가능하다는 말씀이겠지요.

Dr. Tillich: Oh, of course; there is no question of it.
틸리히 : 물론 그렇습니다. 거기에는 질문의 여지가 없다고 봅니다.

Professor: And the Catholic position would be the same?
교수 : 카톨릭의 입장도 이와 꼭 같은 것입니까?

Franciscan Father: Yes.
신부: 네
Professor: Was there anything in what Dr. Tillich has said that the Catholic would not agree with?
교수 : 틸리히 박사님의 말씀 가운데 카톨릭이 찬성하지 못할점은 없습니까?

Franciscan Father: Now there is an area that sort of fascinates me — this question of my present relationship to this Christian event — the present mystical relationship with Christ. I would say that more important to me than the historical life of Christ would be the mystical element in it. I think the Gospels speak more of that than they do of the historical life of Christ. In other words, the historical life of Christ alone is not going to save me, or faith in that. It is really the present experience of the saving power which in some way has come out of this historical event. I may be a heretic, but this is the way that I understand my Catholicism. I think this is the essence of the thing.

신부 : 늘 저를 황홀하게 만드는 분야가 하나 있는데 그것은 이 기독교적 사건에 대한 나의 현재적 관계 곧 그리스도와의 현재적인 신비적 관계와 연관된 문제입니다. 저에게는 역사적 삶보다 더 중요한 것이 그 안에 있는 신비적 요소라고 말하겠습니다. 복음서들은 그리스도의 역사적 생애보다는 차라리 신비적 삶을 더 많이 언급한다고 저는 생각합니다. 달리 말하면, 그리스도의 역사적 생애나 이에 대한 신앙만은 나를 구원하지 못하리라는 것입니다. 그것은 이 역사적 사건에서 쏟아져 나오는 구원의 능력에 대한 나의 현재적 경험입니다. 제가 이단일는지는 모르겠습니다만, 저는 이렇게 나의 카톨릭 사상을 이해하고 있습니다. 이것이 또한 가장 본질적인 것이라고 생각합니다.

Dr. Tillich: You speak for myself. The "saving power" is wonderful!
틸리히 : 저를 잘 대변하여 주셨습니다. ‘구원의 힘이란 참으로 놀라운 것입니다.

NOTES:
1. Rudolf Bultmann, "New Testament and Mythology," in H. W. Bausch, ed., Kerygma and Myth (London: S. P. C. K., 1954), pp. 1-44.
2. Vs. 55: "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"
3. An Italian monk (480?-543?), considered to be the founder of Western monasticism.

hi
이전글  다음글  목록 글쓰기

츲ҺڻȰ ⵵ ȸ ѱ⵶ȸȸȸ ()ظ ѽŴѵȸ μȸڿȸ ȸ б ѽŴб ûȸȸ ŵȸ ŵȸ ȸÿ ѱ⵶ȸȸͽп